Rugby Union

kiwififer

Night and day from last week. Winning and keeping them scoreless in the second half despite the line out problems was impressive. 
I thought Ryan Wilson was outstanding and he's a certain starter versus Ireland. Chris Harris might be the best option at 13 for Ireland as well. He's definitely the best defensive centre we have. Kinghorn was much better as well.
I'd still have Price over Laidlaw.
Agree with Ryan Wilson, on talent he's not one of the three best back row players but he's really aggressive and sets the tone. I thought our pack had to many nice guys last week, it's an issue with our squad in general, but Wilson's one of those guys who wants to watch his opponents cry. I think it's contagious and he lifted the intensity.

Thought Blade Thompson looked very good, some big hits. On current form is Barclay in the first XV? He's got Bradbury breathing down his neck too.

We don't just start matches slowly, we start series slowly. We always look short of intensity in the first match of the 6N and autumn tests, I really don't understand it. Maybe the players think they're better than they are and will win just by moving the ball around, maybe we don't have enough natural aggression (very strange for any Scottish team). But when we get going, we're undoubtedly a very good side. Georgia will force us to be more physical again so they're a good opposition for us next.

The 13 shirt is surely Huw Jones', no? He's a world class finisher. Harris did well but not *that* well. And I think the best combination is Huw and Johnson.

Thought Kinghorn played well, he's still learning, he'll get there. Always worth bearing in mind that he doesn't play on the wing for Edinburgh.

They needed a win to prove last week was an aberration and they did that; problem is, we are prone to aberrations.

It probably is Huw Jones's but Harris is solid at 13 which might be handy in an attrional game.

Barclay is probably better suited to the bench now. I don't think he has the physicality to start now against big international packs.  Ideally Bradbury overtakes him. I'd take Wilson, Watson, Thompson, Bradbury and Ritchie. It would be a big call for Townsend.

Edited by Detournement

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Watching that first Scottish try again, the immediate ruck after the French made the mistake should have resulted in try but Laidlaw far too slow. Got there in end but too slow.

When you see it from another angle Harris's leg is on the ball.

Edited by Detournement

4 hours ago, Detournement said:

It probably is Huw Jones's but Harris is solid at 13 which might be handy in an attrional game.

Barclay is probably better suited to the bench now. I don't think he has the physicality to start now against big international packs.  Ideally Bradbury overtakes him. I'd take Wilson, Watson, Thompson, Bradbury and Ritchie. It would be a big call for Townsend.

It's hard to imagine leaving Barclay at home, but it's even harder to think of them taking 6 back row forwards when Skinner can play there too. I think Ritchie gets dropped before Barclay, to be one of a few very good players who won't make it.

Couple of other thoughts - has Hogg lost a bit of pace? He was caught by a flanker at one point and Penaud ran away from him.

Do we have a loose head problem? 

That crowd and that atmosphere for a World Cup warm-up match was amazing. Four years ago we got 43k v Italy; four years before that it was 28k v Ireland and 20k v Italy; four years before that it was 25k v Ireland and 30k v South Africa. Apparently about 50k tickets have been sold for Georgia already. This is unprecedented stuff for us.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

That crowd and that atmosphere for a World Cup warm-up match was amazing. Four years ago we got 43k v Italy; four years before that it was 28k v Ireland and 20k v Italy; four years before that it was 25k v Ireland and 30k v South Africa. Apparently about 50k tickets have been sold for Georgia already. This is unprecedented stuff for us.

That was the 14th sell out on the bounce. With the number of season passes sold(a big help in increasing the number of fans at the games) and the football team playing on the same night a crowd of over 40K would be an impressive one. 

It's hard to imagine leaving Barclay at home, but it's even harder to think of them taking 6 back row forwards when Skinner can play there too. I think Ritchie gets dropped before Barclay, to be one of a few very good players who won't make it.

I think that’s right, but I’m 90% sure Sam Skinner will miss the tournament through injury, which saves Townsend a decision. I’m not all in on Ritchie.

A very good centre is not going to make it either. I have a feeling it’ll be Hutchinson, but Jones hasn’t played well for a while now.

Couple of other thoughts - has Hogg lost a bit of pace? He was caught by a flanker at one point and Penaud ran away from him.
Do we have a loose head problem? 
Given his injuries the last few years there is a good chance Hogg might have lost a bit.

On the crowds, the style of rugby has to help. It's not that long ago that the bulk of the points came from Chris Patterson's boot and scoring one try was a cause for celebration. Much more exciting team to watch now, even if it doesn't quite come off all of the time.

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

Ritchie is the cover for 7 so I think he will go. 

Ritchie is far too inconsistent. Depending on Injuries I think it will be Watson, Thompson, Barclay, Wilson and Fagerson or Bradbury with Skinner being able to cover 6 as well.

Richie Grey played 62 minutes for Tolouse yesterday in their 1st league game - I wonder if he actually said if he wasn't gauranteed a place in the squad he didn't want to miss pre-season and first few games of the season with his club. He would be right down the pecking order at his club if he missed pre-season and the first few games then not to get picked in the Scotland squad would be big blow.

Edited by honestly united