Rugby Union

kiwififer

Frustrating. That was an opportunity there, but the mistakes killed us. There was plenty of good stuff as well though to be fair. Lineout attack and defence was good, scrum was fine, Darge was brilliant and some of the new boys showed up well too. Wilson was magnificent as well.

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

We lost that rather than Ulster winning. However positive signs and 2 points on the road is not to be sniffed at. We definetly looked better once Weir went off. I just dont think he fits the way we play.

Yeah, I think Weir will be ok, but he wasn't playing well at all, I think he put at least two out on the full, had a couple of drops and was just struggling all round. Thompson did the basics much better when he came on.

Still early days, but Thompson looks like he has the potential to be a very, very good player. It will he interesting to see how he goes in the Autumn for Scotland where I expect he will get his first cap.

Velacott and Graham were excellent for Edinburgh, who as a whole played some excellent rugby, but also some dreadful stuff as well. Style seems much better under Blair, just needs some work on defence. questions on why Kinghorn was at 10 when Lang and Vander Walt are available, but ball in hand he is excellent, but defensively is so poor.

TBF if you had been given 2 bonus points away at Ulster, and a BP win at home to Scarlets before the games started you would have taken it, so I would say a good opening weekend

I thought Southern Knights v Watsonians was a good game...  It was nothing more than an aperitif for the Southern Knights v Heriots game.

I think that was about the most entertaining game of rugby I've seen since the 38-38 game v England.

I thought the Heriots scrum half looked a tremendous young Scottish prospect, however there is one small snag...  I think he's English! 

So far every match I've seen in the Super Six has been terrific.  None of them have been kick-chase shite, all have had tremendous ambition!

It is now my league of choice.

Yours

aDONis

Edited by aDONisSheep

9 minutes ago, aDONisSheep said:

I thought Southern Knights v Watsonians was a good game...  It was nothing more than an aperitif for the Southern Knights v Heriots game.

I think that was about the most entertaining game of rugby I've seen since the 38-38 game v England.

I thought the Heriots scrum half looked a tremendous young Scottish prospect, however there is one small snag...  I think he's English! 

So far every match I've seen in the Super Six has been terrific.  None of them have been kick-chase shite, all have had tremendous ambition!

It is now my league of choice.

Yours

aDONis

I've watched a few of the games and thought the standard of play has been really good, however im not sure the standard of the players is that great (if that makes sense). The last game I watched, (Ayr vs Heriots i think) you had Nairn and Thornton as standouts, even though they never made an impact at Glasgow. 

Hopefully it helps bring the youngsters through, and there has been a good crop come through towards the end of last year, and it looks like the standard of coaching is decent

26 minutes ago, honestly united said:

I've watched a few of the games and thought the standard of play has been really good, however im not sure the standard of the players is that great (if that makes sense). The last game I watched, (Ayr vs Heriots i think) you had Nairn and Thornton as standouts, even though they never made an impact at Glasgow. 

Hopefully it helps bring the youngsters through, and there has been a good crop come through towards the end of last year, and it looks like the standard of coaching is decent

Completely agree.  The standard of player isn't as good, but I enjoy what seems to be the style of rugby.  The professional game has become soooooo defensive and tactical (Opening weekend of both the premiership and URC excepted).

Over the last two games that I watched, there were more attempts to attack with ball in hand from within the 22, than I've probably seen in three or four years of 6 Nations.

I'm also enjoying trying to pick 'future' talent from the ranks.  As I said, I thought the Heriots scrum half was excellent, and the lad Mitchell that came on for Southern Knights looked a proper menace.

I absolutely consume rugby, be it Premiership (Wasps), URC (Glasgow and Edinburgh) or International, but there is something about these semi-pro matches that just resonate with me.

Yours,

aDONis 

4 hours ago, honestly united said:

The last game I watched, (Ayr vs Heriots i think) you had Nairn and Thornton as standouts, even though they never made an impact at Glasgow.

Tbf, when I saw Ayr in round 1 I thought Thornton and in particular Nairn were poor. Some of the guys stepping down from higher levels are excellent, but others look pretty mediocre.

4 hours ago, aDONisSheep said:

I'm also enjoying trying to pick 'future' talent from the ranks.  As I said, I thought the Heriots scrum half was excellent, and the lad Mitchell that came on for Southern Knights looked a proper menace.

Mitchell looked absolutely superb for Hawick in the Premiership when he broke through as a 17 year old. If he keeps playing well he could still make it pro, but he turned down Super 6 contracts in the past to stay with Hawick so not sure rugby is a priority for him.

Kaleem Barreto, who played a couple of games fo Glasgow a few years back, has been a real standout and I'd expect him to be back involved with one of the pro teams. Someone who I wasn't aware of until recently is Duncan Munn, an 18 year old centre signed up as an injury replacement by Bouroughmuir and he's played quite a few games now and looks really good.