Rugby Union

kiwififer

45 minutes ago, honestly united said:

I know there has been a lot put on Zac Mercer being our saviour at No.8, but if not i've just heard that Jack Dempsey becomes eligible under the new rules in the 2nd half of 2022. He has scottish blood, and I beleive he last played for Australia at the 2019 world cup.

It would be an absolute red neck if we capped a 14 cap Wallaby. 

The new rules are designed to help the PIs be competitive. We have plenty of players to choose from and should be looking to Bradbury and Fagerson to compete for the 8 shirt. 

Edited by Detournement

23 minutes ago, Detournement said:

The new rules are designed to help the PIs be competitive. We have plenty of players to choose from and should be looking to Bradbury and Fagerson to compete for the 8 shirt. 

Maybe, but let's be honest, if Dempsey is still playing as well this time next year he'll be getting capped, red neck or not.

15 hours ago, GAD said:

Maybe, but let's be honest, if Dempsey is still playing as well this time next year he'll be getting capped, red neck or not.

As good as he has looked so far, the Dragons were woefull at the weekend (although Im sure @Detournemenenjoyed Tuipoluto running over Jamie Roberts all game), and the next 2 weeks in Europe will be a better gauge of where he is at, plus the double header vs Edinburgh.

Is Dempsey (who sounds like he is loving his time in Glasgow) getting capped any more a red neck than Mercer?

I wonder if there is someone at the SRU going through all the ex international NZ/Aus/SA players in France and England checking to see if they have a Scottish gran?

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

As good as he has looked so far, the Dragons were woefull at the weekend (although Im sure @Detournemenenjoyed Tuipoluto running over Jamie Roberts all game), and the next 2 weeks in Europe will be a better gauge of where he is at, plus the double header vs Edinburgh.

Is Dempsey (who sounds like he is loving his time in Glasgow) getting capped any more a red neck than Mercer?

I wonder if there is someone at the SRU going through all the ex international NZ/Aus/SA players in France and England checking to see if they have a Scottish gran?

Ha ha, I have absolutely no doubt that is happening.

Project players and grandparents are fine by me but Sloppy Seconds is too far. I've no interest in Mercer or Dempsey. 

The only possible project players now are Boan Venter and Jordan Venter who will be 28 and 23 when/if they qualify in 2026. The SRU need to be focussing on getting more pros from the Scotland u20 sides. 

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

Project players and grandparents are fine by me but Sloppy Seconds is too far. I've no interest in Mercer or Dempsey. 

The only possible project players now are Boan Venter and Jordan Venter who will be 28 and 23 when/if they qualify in 2026. The SRU need to be focussing on getting more pros from the Scotland u20 sides. 

I agree with you on focusing on the u20, and to that end I think the Super 6 has helped, and hopefully opening up to Super 8 will give more of the youngsters proper game time in meaningful matches. I think last season saw the biggest influx of players into the pro ranks from the youths in some time. Normally your lucky if you get 1 or 2 a year but last season we had Dobbie, Thompson, Darge and McLean at Glasgow all coming in and being involved at International level with Smith also getting decent game time and Hodgson and Sykes at Edinburgh and Scotland with Chamberlain, Savala and Blain also getting decent game its the best crop since the 2015 team.

Agree project players are probably out now as well, as 5 years is a risk that they wont get injured, poached etc

Anyone playing for Scotland through grandparents or project player programmes is already sloppy seconds lol. Why on earth is it beyond sporting decency to do exactly the same but for players actually good enough to play for a country with a better playing pool? 

Obviously we should be improving our pathway for and quality of players developed here, that's something everyone agrees on. It doesn't change how we should apply the laws available to us right now. 

Does anyone citing an upturn in Magnus Bradbury's form remember his career to date? He's 26 years old, has been an international quality 8 for roughly 6 months in his career to date and recent suggestions that he is a late bloomer seem strange considering he was previously regarded as a wonderkid. I thought he was the great hope for a good while but surely at some point you've got to admit he's more Dave Callam than Johnnie Beattie 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

On 05/12/2021 at 16:56, Detournement said:

The new rules are designed to help the PIs be competitive. 

In Cricket there's associate members and test playing nations to cover this. Eoin Morgan was able to play for Ireland and then go on to captain England but English/South Africans need to choose one or the other.  It would be good if the IRB were able to make sure these "dual internationals" were making similar upwards moves.

If Tim Visser had wanted to play for the Netherlands before taking a crack at the big time with Scotland that would be reasonable.

At the moment however Scotland (7th on 83.05) and Australia(6th on 83.92) are separated by less than a single ranking point. We shouldn't be sharing players with them

On 24/10/2021 at 15:40, Detournement said:

That gives Glasgow decent depth on both sides. I quite like the look of Lambert.

Saracens have a 21 year old backrow playing who played for Scotland u16 called Andy Christie but he switched to England at u18. They are currently drubbing Wasps.

Hopefully Townsend is talking to him.

On 06/12/2021 at 11:23, Detournement said:

Doesn't look likely now. I see he's just left Edinburgh to sign for Bath.