Rugby Union

kiwififer

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Sam Johnson played really well against France and Australia but him and Harris as a pair seem to lack something. 

Redpath in the little I have seen of reminds me of (a much better) Peter Horne. 

Aye that's the obvious comparison, and I agree that while I like Johnson he and Harris lack a little spark, for want of a better word. While I appreciate the solidity I've felt for a while the attack in midfield has been a bit of an issue, teams can focus on stopping our outside backs as there's not enough inside them (not that that helps all that much when our back three and Finn are in full flow). Redpath adds a third kicking option in the backline/takes some pressure off Finn as well. Add in his youth and he's 100% the option moving forward. 

I wonder if the weather forecast for Saturday will have a big impact on the team selection. It looks like it's going to be another horrendous, windy and wet night. A shitfest awaits, and that might suit Johnson/Harris better than Redpath. 

To be honest, it also looks to me like a night for Sean Maitland as well. Pity that's no longer an option.

52 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Sam J gets the nod possibly due to the weather.

Gilchrist has been excellent for Scotland recently so him over Cummings is fair enough. Schoeman will hopefully come on and go ballistic for 30 minutes. 

Pretty much as expected, assume Johnson / Redpath was a close call, would rather have Cummings over Gilchrist and no Kinghorn, but the starting 15 are all experienced, and have played together quite a lot so happy with that.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Sam J gets the nod possibly due to the weather.

Gilchrist has been excellent for Scotland recently so him over Cummings is fair enough. Schoeman will hopefully come on and go ballistic for 30 minutes. 

Yeah, I think the weather and fitness probably swung it for Johnson. Funny how we've got the big, solid, straight running centre pairing up against the more skillful but slightly suspect in defence English centres. Wouldn't have seen that coming a few years ago.

Dombrant v Bradbury in the second half could be good.

Also, he's very committed to this Kinghorn at 10 thing. You'd think Redpath and Kinghorn on the bench would give the maximum flexibility.

Edited by GAD

20 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Brian Moore tweeted earlier that he started his BBC commentary career on a Calcutta Cup match, and Saturday's match will be his last BBC commentary. He's the best pundit they have imo.

He's not that old or anything either - does he have another gig lined up? He's by far the best summarier they have. 

12 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
14 hours ago, peasy23 said:
Brian Moore tweeted earlier that he started his BBC commentary career on a Calcutta Cup match, and Saturday's match will be his last BBC commentary. He's the best pundit they have imo.

Hated him as a player, absolutely love him as a commentator. He will be missed!

Hated him as a player.  Also hated him as a commentator in his early years.  Very England centric and arrogant.  He then became more rounded and balanced and the best co-commentator.

9 hours ago, Left Back said:

Hated him as a player.  Also hated him as a commentator in his early years.  Very England centric and arrogant.  He then became more rounded and balanced and the best co-commentator.

Yes I'd agree with that.

Really grew into tne role and became a top notch co-commentator.