Rugby Union

kiwififer

Elsewhere it's the 1872 derby at home to Edinburgh.  

I'm fairly happy with the team but Duncy starting ahead of Thompson is an oddity to me.  I think Thompson offers far more attacking threat than Weir.

Our pack is looking solid at least.  Edinburgh have both their lethal Argentinian wingers starting and Immelman at 15.  We've been quite inconsistent in Danny Wilson's reign but they'll rip us apart if we're not on song... 

If, as you would expect, this decision backfires so horribly it makes stuff like Du Preez in Cardiff look like genius in comparison, there are going to be very few arguments left for Townsend keeping his job.
Nothing against Kinghorn, but it looks either a very brave or very stupid move to throw him in at 10 in Dublin. Unfortunately I'm tending to think it's the latter.

3 hours ago, come on shire said:

Elsewhere it's the 1872 derby at home to Edinburgh.  

I'm fairly happy with the team but Duncy starting ahead of Thompson is an oddity to me.  I think Thompson offers far more attacking threat than Weir.

Our pack is looking solid at least.  Edinburgh have both their lethal Argentinian wingers starting and Immelman at 15.  We've been quite inconsistent in Danny Wilson's reign but they'll rip us apart if we're not on song... 

This but im assuming that along with Tuipolotu hes been with the Scotland squad all week so wont be up to speed as much as Weir on the expected game plan

12 hours ago, Detournement said:

This has to be part of a tactical plan rather than a like for like? Kick as long as we can, play off Price and bring Hogg into to first receiver to move the Irish defence around?

It'll be interesting to watch anyway. 

I think you're on to something.  I can only imagine it's an up the guts up front or through the hands out wide, with the threat of a loooong boot or in all honesty, Kinghorn taking the ball in himself (or try to make the break).  Maybe Kinghorn is the Joost van der Westhuizen of fly halves and we've just not noticed. 

Also I think I'm becoming a contrarian, but I haven't seen too much wrong with how Russell has played!  His kicking hasn't been outstanding but I thought the one that France scored off was acually pretty good (Dupont was just amazing though), add to that he's still creating gaps for others, I'm not sure why he's on the bench other than to make Ireland adjust their game plan. 

I'm also not going to call for Townsend to go, because I think Scotland are better than I've seen them for many a year (and a quick shout out of thanks to Stern Vern).

Yours, 'MON SCOTLAND

aDONis

I think you're on to something.  I can only imagine it's an up the guts up front or through the hands out wide, with the threat of a loooong boot or in all honesty, Kinghorn taking the ball in himself (or try to make the break).  Maybe Kinghorn is the Joost van der Westhuizen of fly halves and we've just not noticed. 
Also I think I'm becoming a contrarian, but I haven't seen too much wrong with how Russell has played!  His kicking hasn't been outstanding but I thought the one that France scored off was acually pretty good (Dupont was just amazing though), add to that he's still creating gaps for others, I'm not sure why he's on the bench other than to make Ireland adjust their game plan. 
I'm also not going to call for Townsend to go, because I think Scotland are better than I've seen them for many a year (and a quick shout out of thanks to Stern Vern).
Yours, 'MON SCOTLAND
aDONis
Russell hasn't played badly in my opinion this tournament, maybe not to the levels he has previously but it was pointed out that he has picked up silly yellows in two of the games

2 hours ago, jaggyness said:
3 hours ago, aDONisSheep said:
Yours, 'MON SCOTLAND
aDONis

Russell hasn't played badly in my opinion this tournament, maybe not to the levels he has previously but it was pointed out that he has picked up silly yellows in two of the games

Although he hasn't played badly, he seems to have the shackles on, first option is always to kick which is not like him. I get the impression he hasn't bought in to the game plan, which is as much the reason I would think he has been benched as too how he has played.

2 hours ago, jaggyness said:
3 hours ago, aDONisSheep said:
Yours, 'MON SCOTLAND
aDONis

I don't think Russell has been amazing but not sure the game plan particularly suits him. The yellow in Cardiff I felt was unfortunate and not that bad- it was risk reward and he's made plenty intercepts before like that. Not sure what the other was as he's the only yellow I think Scotland have got. 

11 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Things are not good behind the scenes.
These players should know better but clearly GT has lost the dressing room
A drubbing by Ireland tomorrow should be his farewell swan

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/60796440

Don’t really see the issue tbh - adults go to a bar a week before their next game. 

49 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Things are not good behind the scenes.
These players should know better but clearly GT has lost the dressing room
A drubbing by Ireland tomorrow should be his farewell swan

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/60796440

Yep, there does seem to be a bit of a malaise behind the scenes now. No discipline on the pitch, none off it either. This 6 nations has been fucking shite.

43 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
45 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:
Don’t really see the issue tbh - adults go to a bar a week before their next game. 

Yes, but thats not the issue. Professional players have protocols they are required to adhere to.. Just shows a lack of respect

Pretty sure Hogg, as Captain, will have been one of the guys setting the fucking protocols as well.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Covid is absolutely rife just now so they are increasing the risk of bringing into the camp and weakening the squad for Dublin.

(Speaking as someone who was out last Friday, Saturday and Sunday and caught Covid).

Edited by Detournement