Rugby Union

kiwififer

The Argentina tour is the start of the build up to the world cup. After the Lions tour Im quite happy that the likes of Hogg & Russell are getting  a break over the summer to recharge rather than being on tour then straight back to pre-season training in August then a full season before the WC.

The hope is that Townsend learns something about his fringe players, if nothing else if he realises Kinghorn wont cut it as an international stand off it will be worth it.

Im hoping Thompson as least gets some game time this week, as I thought he's had a decent season, albeit faded along with the rest of the team towards the end of the season. When you think Glasgow signed Weir and Miotta as top 2 choices at 10, Thompson has played his way into first choice on merit unlike at Edinburgh where Kinghorn is somehow first choice and has pushed out Van Der Walt who is a decent club stand off (not international class but good enough) and Chamberlain (who I thought looked a good prospect) who has been shown the door.

I feel Thompson was asked to do a lot at Glasgow last year. When you introduce a young 10 you hope that the squad around him supports him but Glasgow's leadership, including from senior players was pretty poor. They often seemed like 15 players who met on the morning of a game. 

Thompson can be excellent at times but has been playing low on confidence for Glasgow this season.  I think a lot of that had to do with playing for a head coach who had no game plan and poor communication skills with his squad.  

This is the start of the World Cup build up and if we lose it puts pressure on heading into the autumn then next year's 6N.  What I gathered from the 1st test is that we didn't know how to handle defensive pressure and, despite us doing well to get back into the game, there was no Plan B when we got caught out at the restart (which in itself is an issue)...

Japan completely blew it against France in the last 15 mins. 2 squint line outs from Shota Horie and knock on over the try line that caused the TMO to rule it out. On the other hand they scored 2 lovely tries in the 1st half. 

Similarities with Scotland there 🤣