Rugby Union

kiwififer

Who does he pick on Tuesday then? Jones must be on a shoogly peg as I can’t remember his last good game. Johnson is nailed on starting 12, I’d take Hutchinson. Townsend likes Harris and Horne. Not sure Taylor has done enough after so long out.

Also not sure he can pick Ritchie or Bradbury if they haven’t played a single minute of the warm up matches. You’d make an exception for Brown as he is well ahead of Turner and Stewart.

Georgia weren’t the best but it was a decent performance. 

Just watched it, that was most pleasing. Two weeks ago we looked soft and rusty, it's gradually come together and it looks like we'll be as battle-hardened as we can be to face Ireland. We have a habit of losing games like this - Fiji and USA, for instance - and I was worried we'd wilt under the pressure. But we fronted up really, really well and executed under pressure. Finn Russell is a once in a generation talent, time runs slower for him. McInally, Nel, M Fagerson, Watson, Barclay, Maitland, Hutchinson, Graham all looked like they were enjoying it.

The competition at centre and back row is so strong that it's not just a case of a bad game putting you out of the team; anything short of a good game will put you on the bench, and a bad game can put you off the plane. Huw Jones may not have done much to stand out in his recent appearances, he's not done much wrong though and is an absolutely world class finisher, yet he's in trouble. Strauss seemed ok but for me there are definitely six in front of him.

We're not the best side in the world but we're one of the most fun to watch. How good was that first try? 

Yeah, I thought that was really good yesterday. It'll never be perfect, but in terms of going away, to a fired up T2 side with a fearsome pack, we got most things right, and Russell was brilliant as always. 

In terms of who goes and who stays, I think most spots are now set with the big question marks at centre and back row. I think there was one at back 3, but I think Kinghorn has probably nailed that now and McGuigan will miss out. Centre I would probably go for Johnson, Horne, Hutchison and Harris. I think Taylor hasn't played enough and Jones hasn't been good enough recently. Back row, Watson is nailed. Personally I'd always take Wilson as well, and I think Townsend will too. After that I couldn't even call it. Going to be some good players missing out.

I think it shows how far Scottish Rugby has come in the last few years, when you think players like Dunbar, Grey Sr, Grigg, Hardie, Swinson, Cowan, Weir, Pyrgos are not even in the wider training squad, nevermind making the final cut. I was thinking a few days ago that Rory Hughes looked a decent find when he broke through, but seems to have been hampered by injury, but not that long ago he would have been a big deal, no he's just lost in the noise.

On another note Im quite dissapointed for Georgia - I had hoped for a better performance to put further pressure on the 6 Nations to either expand or look at a 2 tier structure (ie incorporate the Nations Cup as a 2nd Div) but a scoreline like that doesn't help them. They remind me in a way of the Scotland of Dan Parks / Chris Paterson era where our forwards could compete with everyone else, but our backs were hopeless so we never scored any tries against decent oposition. Georgia obviously have the pack, they have a few good scrum halfs, but their backs just dont cut it the top teams. Having watched a few of the Nations cup games, their backs look good against Spain / Russia / Romania but just cant cut ut against the top teams. That will only come when they start to get more games against the top teams

I don't even think Kearney was cited for the clothesline on Curry in the previous game. The disciplinary stuff in rugby is an absolute farce. The main factor that decides who gets cited and banned is who you are and who you play for.

12 hours ago, GAD said:

Looks like the Scotland squad may have been leaked. Reports seem to be that it's Hutchinson and Jones missing out in the centres and Strauss, Bradbury and Fagerson in the back row.

We'll find out at lunch time. There were incorrect squads "leaked" for Wales and Ireland so hopefully here as well.

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

We'll find out at lunch time. There were incorrect squads "leaked" for Wales and Ireland so hopefully here as well.

Yeah, though I see Mark Palmer is tweeting the sane this morning now as well and he's usually right. He's saying Bhatti out as well. Some pretty serious meltdowns ongoing amongst some fans about it all.

I was thinking it was madness to leave out Jones and Hutchinson, but there might be some sense to it. We already have serious strike running fire power in the “inside” backs through Russell, Johnson and Hogg. Someone like Harris will anchor it defensively, whilst Taylor is / was excellent pre-injury and must have proved his fitness.

Jones in form is brilliant, sadly he’s not in form and the defensive system has been suspect in some games he played. We slag Gatland and Smeidt (sp?) for their pragmatism but maybe it’s what we need to progress in this WC.

Arguably this WC is about a year too soon for Hutchinson,  who maybe needs to show the form in the 6N first.

I still hope the leak is wrong and its a completely different squad announced later, but I cant think why  Horne is getting selected over Jones and Hutchinson. We have Laidlaw and Hogg to act as 3 or 4th choice 10 in an emergency (Hutchinson can also play 10). I can only think he doesn't want Taylor playing 12 so has picked Horne as back up 12 and Harris back up 13. As he has got rid of Dunbar there isn't much choice there now