Rugby Union

kiwififer

23 minutes ago, ajwffc said:
So this is the scenario we face IMG_20191009_180637.thumb.jpeg.0e0f7344c2dbe29dcb3b07030dd10a88.jpeg

So if I’m reading that correctly the scenario I outlined above is correct. If Ireland win with no bonus point we’d be potentially better off and certainly no worse off with a 5-1 point split v Japan than with a 5-0 split. Pretty unlikely but bizarre nonetheless given we would know the Ireland result in advance of our match.

Edit to add after today's game Scotland's points difference now significantly improved to +71.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

37 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

So if I’m reading that correctly the scenario I outlined above is correct. If Ireland win with no bonus point we’d be potentially better off and certainly no worse off with a 5-1 point split v Japan than with a 5-0 split. Pretty unlikely but bizarre nonetheless given we would know the Ireland result in advance of our match.

Edit to add after today's game Scotland's points difference now significantly improved to +71.

the person who made it has not updated it since we played.

also this is what the scenario would of been if japan did not get the BP

the person who made it has not updated it since we played.
also this is what the scenario would of been if japan did not get the BP

Yes I understood it hadn’t been updated. Just really to make the point that if it did end up a 3 team split on 15 points that we would be guaranteed to finish above Japan on points difference. Sorry not to have made that clear and thanks for the detailed breakdowns [emoji106]

I’m not sure if my reading of it is right, but by my understanding of the tie break rules, if it’s a three way tie on points then points difference is only used to put the side with the highest points difference in first place, then it falls back to head to head for the other two. So in that scenario we finish top, Japan second, unless Ireland were to beat Samoa by 20 more points than we beat Japan by without getting a BP.

Guest Bob Mahelp

The closer we get to Sunday the more I'm convinced that there's no way we'll be allowed to win. It won't be blatant in your face cheating, more a series of 50/50 decisions that will go against us. 

I watched the last minute of the Japan - Samoa game and it becomes more bizarre each time I see it.....the Samoans deciding not to take the tap and go, and the referee instantly awarding a free-kick for a put in that simply was not squint (or at least no more squint that the other 500 that went before it in this world cup).

There's an immense pressure in Japan for the home country to get through. It'll take a very strong referee to resist that pressure.

The whistler is Ben O'Keefe of NZ. Good or bad ?

Guest Bob Mahelp
8 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Dont think the Japanese have it in their mentality to qualify by dubious means based on my experiences of working for a Japanese company.

Game will not be cancelled unless their is absolutely no alternative but I'm confident they will find a way to get this game played somehow.

I'm not accusing the Japanese of corruption. I'm simply saying that in the heat of moment.....as with Peyper on Saturday....the psychological pressure on the referee to lean towards the home side will be huge. 

Scotland isn't a big player in world rugby. There are 5 million of us desperate for a Scotland win on Sunday....everyone else (including I suspect, World Rugby, wants to see the home nation go through).

The weather forecast for Yokohama on Sunday evening is dry and breezy. The worst of the weather will hit on Saturday. There's no way that this game should be postponed. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

1 minute ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm not accusing the Japanese of corruption. I'm simply saying that in the heat of moment.....as with Peyper on Saturday....the psychological pressure on the referee to lean towards the home side will be huge. 

The weather forecast for Yokohama on Sunday evening is dry and breezy. The worst of the weather will hit on Saturday. There's no way that this game should be postponed. 

Well, it depends, I don't really know what the aftermath of a typhoon looks like, but could the pitch not be under water? Could there be serious damage to the surrounding areas? I mean people die in these things, I don't think it's just a bad storm.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, GAD said:

Well, it depends, I don't really know what the aftermath of a typhoon looks like, but could the pitch not be under water? Could there be serious damage to the surrounding areas? I mean people die in these things, I don't think it's just a bad storm.

Let's see if and where the typhoon actually hits.

I'm just back from 3 weeks in Japan. The weather forecast for 3 to 4 days in advance for that whole time was almost always for heavy rain. A day beforehand, it always changed.....the only rain we had in 3 weeks was the evening of the Ireland game. 

Dont think the Japanese have it in their mentality to qualify by dubious means based on my experiences of working for a Japanese company.

Game will not be cancelled unless their is absolutely no alternative but I'm confident they will find a way to get this game played somehow.

Hopefully the case albeit it’s ultimately a decision for World Rugby rather than Japan per se

Calling it off on Thursday when it's not due until Saturday?

I still think it's extraordinary they organise the tournament for Japan during typhoon season then make no provision for standby dates. Especially as they're the last group games.

I know a few Cricket World Cup pool games have been washed-out previously, but has anything like this happened before among international finals tournaments?

Edited by HibeeJibee