Rugby Union

kiwififer

5 minutes ago, GAD said:

At this rate it's unlikely the World Cup will go anywhere that isn't nice and safe again. This farce will damage the sport. Can you see many Italians thinking it's worth giving a f**k about this morning after they've been kicked out the tournament? What do you think would have happened if New Zealand had been the tram needing a win to qualify?

I agree that it's a shit situation. The other option is to condense the group stages by playing Sat/We'd but they'd need massive squads for this.

Obviously this is a Scottish website, so we are focused on how this might effect Scotland, but think how shite this is for Italy, kicked out the tournament. Wales and Australia, both played their games, tough ones against each other and Fiji, and they now go to play England and France who have skipped the most physical game and get a nice wee rest instead. Ireland have to play Samoa, another physical test, and they have to pick their best team because they don't know if the Scotland v Japan game goes ahead. They can win and still finish 2nd with the Scotland game being postponed and they go into a QF against a fully rested All Blacks.

Its fucking bullshit.

5 minutes ago, GAD said:

Obviously this is a Scottish website, so we are focused on how this might effect Scotland, but think how shite this is for Italy, kicked out the tournament. Wales and Australia, both played their games, tough ones against each other and Fiji, and they now go to play England and France who have skipped the most physical game and get a nice wee rest instead. Ireland have to play Samoa, another physical test, and they have to pick their best team because they don't know if the Scotland v Japan game goes ahead. They can win and still finish 2nd with the Scotland game being postponed and they go into a QF against a fully rested All Blacks.

Its fucking bullshit.

I don't disagree. Cricket has to deal with this shit all the time.

Having the Sapporo-dome on standby would have made sense but baseball is fucking massive here.

Rejigging the fixtures to have the expected "dead rubbers" towards the final group matches perhaps?

At last - John Greechan in Mailonline telling it like it is.  If it was the "A" listers involved, then . . . . . . . 
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-7558299/Rugby-World-Cup-Scotland-Tier-One-nation-World-Cup-without-hurts.html

If it’s in The Mail I’m astonished the EURO isn’t being blamed

I see big Parisse has come out saying that if NZ had lost the first game vs SA, and were sitting behind IT on points difference or BP there is no way the game would have been cancelled and he has a point. I get Eng v Fra as who qualifies for the QF is not affected and they both get another game, but to lose your last chance to play at a world cup must be devastating. I expect Parisse would probably be looking at retiring from International duty, and wanting to bow out having given his all vs NZ but that chance has gone, and his last game will now have been a whimper vs SA, if he does retire

Scotland situation is pretty mental, they had 3 days, just move the game somewhere else take action while you can not wait until a cancellation is forced on you

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

If it’s in The Mail I’m astonished the EURO isn’t being blamed

First kinda pro-Scottish article i've read online within that "paper" for a very long time.  Aye, you're right, i was waiting for a negative at the end.  Meanwhile, in the comments section . . . . . . . . . . 

10 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I completely agree, but the typhoon is due to hit Yokohama/Tokyo at least 24 hours before the scheduled KO time on Sunday evening.  There's no other option but to cancel the England - France game, certainly...... but the question will be come Sunday morning, is it feasible for 70k people to travel to and from the stadium in Yokohama later that day  ?

The fans will be reimbursed anyway. It's the result that's important in this case, not the number of fans who are able to watch it. 

I suppose the fact that cancellation favours the hosts has nothing to do with it.  :whistle

12 minutes ago, Detournement said:

According to Brian Moore the All Blacks refused to reschedule.

Scumbags.

Yeah I saw that. He really went for it. Shows all this "there is really nothing they can possibly do" stuff is rubbish. There is plenty they can do, they just didn't want to. Seems the Japanese want to play as well, but the All Blacks refusal to play, means that's a non starter unless we are lining up in Yokohama on Sunday, and if the Typhoon is as bad as it looks like it's going to be, there is very little chance of that.

29 minutes ago, Detournement said:

According to Brian Moore the All Blacks refused to reschedule.

Scumbags.

reading his tweet and the fact he has a chip on his shoulder about the All Blacks it is probably a load of bollocks 

17 hours ago, Swarley said:

I agree with this but unfortunately the tournament will now be tainted, at least for supporters of the countries adversely affected by the postponements. As Hibeejibee said it seems ridiculous that we knew this could happen but made no contingency plans.

Regardless of what happens to Japan v Scotland the outright voiding of England v France (which affects 1st/2nd) and NZ v Italy (not officially eliminated) are extraordinary and infamous.

There's been coverage dotted around in recent weeks referencing 25yrs since IRB sanctioned professionalism. It would seem their administration of the game remains firmly amateurish.

11 hours ago, come on shire said:

What a mess. What if a typhoon threatens the final? Will we just call it 'shared'?

Rule is different in knockouts (bizarrely): you can try again 24hrs later. After that it presumably goes to try and discipline countback.

Typhoon of Sat-Sun 2nd-3rd Nov = "no Final"?

Edited by HibeeJibee

Very sporting of the England and New Zealand coaches coming out and saying that if Scotland are eliminated through the weather then they only have themselves to blame. According to them you shouldn’t solely rely on planning to win enough points over the four matches to qualify. No, you have to also think what will happen if there is a major weather problem during the tournament. What utter crap from two coaches that are probably going to benefit from their final group matches being called off.