Rugby Union

kiwififer

Host country / tier 2 goes through from the pool stages, building on the wave of excitement and enthusiasm from the locals. What's the problem lads, rules is rules.

Nobody in a decision making capacity at the tournament will give two hoots whether Scotland go home, or more importantly the circumstances behind it.

If it had been NZ, England or any other major rugby nation in the same position as us, I don't think there would be any doubt they'd move heaven and earth to get the final game played.

A scandalous decision if it is indeed upheld. You can accept teams having to sacrifice positions in the pool to progress but not being put out of the tournament because of it.

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Very sporting of the England and New Zealand coaches coming out and saying that if Scotland are eliminated through the weather then they only have themselves to blame. According to them you shouldn’t solely rely on planning to win enough points over the four matches to qualify. No, you have to also think what will happen if there is a major weather problem during the tournament. What utter crap from two coaches that are probably going to benefit from their final group matches being called off. 

Eddie Jones is, of course, a khunt of the highest order. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

Maitland is a big loss, I think Seymour's day has passed. I would have played Kinghorn on the wing.

And why no McInally ? He started off as captain, now he's dropped.....weird. 

Maitland is a big loss, I think Seymour's day has passed. I would have played Kinghorn on the wing.
And why no McInally ? He started off as captain, now he's dropped.....weird. 
Definitely a strange one with McInally, can only think he is injured.

Legal action being considered if the IRFU try and sacrifice Scotland in this one.  As has been said before, if NZ, SA or Them needed a win or bonus point or whatever to qualify, then you can be sure that, other than what the hurricane will do, they would move heaven and earth to get the game played.  The fact we're playing Japan, in the Japan tournament, allows them to ensure the hosts go through via their selective rules "to keep the tournament alive" for the locals.

Hope this goes to the Supreme Court in Edinburgh as they have previous for getting things 100% right against charlatans who try to bend or ignore the laws.

PS   Eddie Jones is all and more as described below. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

I'm still not talking to Fraser Brown for giving away the world's most idiotic penalty with 79 mins and 50 seconds on the clock at Twickenham. 

Host country / tier 2 goes through from the pool stages, building on the wave of excitement and enthusiasm from the locals. What's the problem lads, rules is rules.
Nobody in a decision making capacity at the tournament will give two hoots whether Scotland go home, or more importantly the circumstances behind it.
If it had been NZ, England or any other major rugby nation in the same position as us, I don't think there would be any doubt they'd move heaven and earth to get the final game played.
A scandalous decision if it is indeed upheld. You can accept teams having to sacrifice positions in the pool to progress but not being put out of the tournament because of it.

Scotland is a major rugby nation. Not a very good one, granted, but let’s not pretend we are one of the wee teams at this tournament.

2 hours ago, sjc said:

In fairness to the organisers, although it is typhoon season, we have had an unusually high number of them hit the mainland (Honshu) this year. Normally it's Okinawa that gets hit by them. 

Okinawa is a 4 hour flight south of Tokyo btw, so it's not like it's just down the road.

Given your local knowledge and experience, what are the actual chances of this game going ahead considering it's Yokohama on Sunday night or nothing? Is it a 50/50, or are we as well just going home now?

The “should have beaten Ireland” narrative is one of the stupidest things I’ve ever seen. From the moment the groups were drawn and the fixtures were out, it was always incredibly likely that Scotland and Japan would both need a last match win to qualify. You plan for the whole group, not the first 75% of games.

Also, I bet the game goes ahead and it ends up being a fucking draw.

3 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Scotland is a major rugby nation. Not a very good one, granted, but let’s not pretend we are one of the wee teams at this tournament.

So do you think if NZ or England had been in our position would the match be rescheduled?

I feel like we're minute takers at the big boys boardroom table.

6 minutes ago, Sooky said:

The “should have beaten Ireland” narrative is one of the stupidest things I’ve ever seen. From the moment the groups were drawn and the fixtures were out, it was always incredibly likely that Scotland and Japan would both need a last match win to qualify. You plan for the whole group, not the first 75% of games.

Also, I bet the game goes ahead and it ends up being a fucking draw.

It's utterly moronic. To be fair it's mostly just the English Rugby Dad types spouting it. The kind who call football "wendyball" and wear St George outfits to Twickers. 

Oh, and Eddie Jones for some reason.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

So do you think if NZ or England had been in our position would the match be rescheduled?

I feel like we're minute takers at the big boys boardroom table.

Hierarchy has always been a part of international rugby, right from the beginning when the English considered that they and they alone should control the game, to the fact that France weren't admitted to the IRB until 1978 because they were dirty foreign speaking wops.

We're well down the slippy pole from the likes of England, NZ and Ireland, but we're still above the disgraceful treatment handed out to second tier nations in general (Japan aside)  and south sea Islanders in particular.

I think your analogy is correct. We're the minute takers at the big boys table, and others look upon us that we should think ourselves grateful that we're not standing outside with the riff raff and dross.