Rugby Union

kiwififer

Curry, Underhill and then Wilson were absolutely brilliant there. Itoje as well. I'm actually delighted for England there, they are a good team and I like most of their players.

I'll still probably support South Africa in the final if they get there though....

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Its not an extraordinary result.

New Zealand have been weaker this year - lost to Australia, drew against South Africa, only narrowly beat the Pumas - this isn't a great AB team.

Correct.

England played the team, not the jersey. They're head and shoulders above this year's AB's. 

"One of the biggest upsets in World Cup history." [emoji23]
What?! It's the best team in the world against the second best, and you could have a long debate about which is which.
Exactly this. The English media aren't usually slow to overhype their international teams, but somehow this week they have been portrayed as the hopeless plucky underdog.

Curry, Underhill and then Wilson were absolutely brilliant there. Itoje as well. I'm actually delighted for England there, they are a good team and I like most of their players.
I'll still probably support South Africa in the final if they get there though....
Not sure I could support Wales though.

England put in a professional performance where they played to their strengths and beat a good, but not truly great AB team. NZ in the past have had guys they would go to when they desperately needed something- Richie McCaw, Zinzan Brooke, etc but there is nobody at that level in their squad right now.

Whoever wins the SA/Wales game will absolutely try and shitefest the final and scrap to a 9-6 win.

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
20 minutes ago, Carl Cort said:
"One of the biggest upsets in World Cup history." emoji23.png
What?! It's the best team in the world against the second best, and you could have a long debate about which is which.

Exactly this. The English media aren't usually slow to overhype their international teams, but somehow this week they have been portrayed as the hopeless plucky underdog.

Psychological of course. It's easier to see yourself as the underdog rather then the clear favourite. 

The normal English hubris and arrogance will take over this week though, and the media already have England lifting the trophy.

The English players won't think that way of course, but the fact that everyone now sees them as overwhelming favourites gives them a different kind of mental pressure.

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Not sure I could support Wales though.

Anyone that has ever been to Cardiff for a 6 Nations game will be absolutely sure that they could never support Wales. 

Just now, Bob Mahelp said:

Anyone that has ever been to Cardiff for a 6 Nations game will be absolutely sure that they could never support Wales. 

the Boks and the Welsh are possibly the only two teams I would even consider supporting england over.

Psychological of course. It's easier to see yourself as the underdog rather then the clear favourite. 
The normal English hubris and arrogance will take over this week though, and the media already have England lifting the trophy.
The English players won't think that way of course, but the fact that everyone now sees them as overwhelming favourites gives them a different kind of mental pressure.
You only have to look how they flopped under the expectation of a home tourney to see the difference and how it can go horribly wrong. The thing that struck me from the build up this morning was the clear message that England have been planning for this game since the draw was made over 2 years ago, and it showed on the pitch today.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Anyone else think that....pretty much Japan aside.....this has been a disappointing tournament for sparkling rugby ?

I'm struggling to think of scintillating game lit up by tries and brilliant attacking (outside Japan v Scotland of course).

It's been the tournament of the super organised defence. I don't see tomorrow changing that much, or the final next week. 

If the Boks handle Wales comfortably I think it's pretty even between them and England. 
Wales would be underdogs but I would fancy them to beat England in a horrible game. 

An England vs Wales final would be only marginally more preferable to an Ireland vs Wales final.

England were terrific today. Maybe they’ll have a comedown in the final. Hard to play that well twice in a row.

12 minutes ago, Detournement said:

If the Boks handle Wales comfortably I think it's pretty even between them and England. 

Wales would be underdogs but I would fancy them to beat England in a horrible game. 

I'd feel pretty confident against Wales. South Africa worry me though. They've got a fantastic defence, and they're so good at just smothering the opposition.