Rugby Union

kiwififer

also Fiji are the current series champions so it isn't exactly an embarrassment to lose to them, however if we had lost to Brazil in the Bowl QF this morning it would have been a big concern

Losing isn't embarrassing but the gap between is hasn't decreased at all in recent years. Fiji have great player resources but operate on a shoe string budget. If you aren't on the mark as a Fiji player you will be replaced....same with sa and nz. We need to have a culture of not accepting mediocrity. That's what's happened at Glasgow over recent seasons. Isn't so long ago that Glasgow were the Pro12 whipping boys but they don't accept failure anymore. Given we have only 2 pro sides we should be able to produce a strong competitive 7s squad. The results against England n usa were very good but we need to be consistently at that level....not switching off against likes off Brazil n nearly letting them back into match. Too many guys in 7s squad know they can cruise to next tournament even if they play poorly

Alex Dunbar is injured again and replace by Matt Scott in the Scotland squad.

Is he made of the same kind of chocolate Grant Gilchrist is composed of?

Alex Dunbar has played more rugby in the last month than Gilchrist will have in what 3 years? 

He's just had an unfortunate run. 

I think the SRU has to be a bit smarter with the 7's team. Granted this season has gone a lot better than the last few years, we haven't managed to many cup appearances which makes the next tournament all the harder. We are ranked at 11 in the world at 7's and after last week we are pretty much now on a par with England and France (who were boosted by a home tournament) and way above Wales and Italy and Ireland are an irrelevance at 7's

USA and Kenya are the only teams above us you could question but they don't have the rugby skills we do, they are just getting better athletes which makes a difference in 7's, you look at the standings ands its the Southern Hemisphere 4, 2 Pacific Island teams, USA, Kenya, France and England, so its not all doom and gloom

Standings

1) Fiji – 166 points
2) South Africa – 152
3) New Zealand – 145
4) Australia – 127
5) Argentina – 107
6) USA – 100
7) Kenya – 95
8) Samoa – 84
9) England – 82
10) France – 75
11) Scotland – 65
12) Wales – 46
13) Canada – 35
14) Russia – 26
15) Japan – 21
16) Portugal – 20
17) Brazil – 2
18) Zimbabwe – 1
19) South Korea – 1

Losing isn't embarrassing but the gap between is hasn't decreased at all in recent years. Fiji have great player resources but operate on a shoe string budget. If you aren't on the mark as a Fiji player you will be replaced....same with sa and nz. We need to have a culture of not accepting mediocrity. That's what's happened at Glasgow over recent seasons. Isn't so long ago that Glasgow were the Pro12 whipping boys but they don't accept failure anymore. Given we have only 2 pro sides we should be able to produce a strong competitive 7s squad. The results against England n usa were very good but we need to be consistently at that level....not switching off against likes off Brazil n nearly letting them back into match. Too many guys in 7s squad know they can cruise to next tournament even if they play poorly

the sevens finished 7th last year which was their highest finish ever I believe which shows they are capable of good things (certainly capable of doing better than the bowl competition anyway) but seem to have these crazy moments like losing to Japan in Vegas where a win would have put them in the cup QF. Sadly some of them just seem to only be there for a jolly and a holiday which isn't the required attitude, and that's why we need more pros like fife and Farndale who are out to make an impression for their club

Worst case scenario and Glasgow get beat this Saturday who are people supporting for the final? Normally I'd go for the underdog but not sure I'd be so keen on supporting a team who beat us two games in a row. Hopefully it's not an issue

Edited by ddfg

Worst case scenario and Glasgow get beat this Saturday who are people supporting for the final? Normally I'd go for the underdog but not sure I'd be so keen on supporting a team who beat us two games in a row. Hopefully it's not an issue

depends on who wins the other game and the mix of fans in the area I am in for the game