Rugby Union

kiwififer

15 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Maitland is a big miss as is Jonny G obviously.

With France going for a big win there will be plenty of opportunity for some Finnsanity with our all our strike runners playing. 

Aye, if ever there was an "okay" time to not have Maitland it's this sort of presumably open game with France chasing the BP from the start. If the leash is off for Scotland as well and Finn's anywhere near his best could be a belter of a game 

49 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Another signing for Glasgow.

The backs Glasgow have signed look exciting but if they don't get a big b*****d of a lock in I don't see them doing much next season. Cummings is quality but after that it's not great. McDonald might kick on but Harley is limited and Richie Gray seems to have remodelled his game based on Grant Gilchrist.

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

The backs Glasgow have signed look exciting but if they don't get a big b*****d of a lock in I don't see them doing much next season. Cummings is quality but after that it's not great. McDonald might kick on but Harley is limited and Richie Gray seems to have remodelled his game based on Grant Gilchrist.

Cummings and Grey as first choice are fine - Bain, Bean and McDonald dont really excite so hopefully we can add one or two there. I love Harley, but he just hasn't kept up with the recent rule changes and is a bit of a liability now.

Backrow is where we need more bodies. Apart from Matt Fagerson, no one else is close to Scotland quality. Darge has potential so will be interesting to see him play, and Dempsey looks quality but  other than that backrow is an issue.

Edit to add - I know people were happy with Weir signing, but I think he is going to be 3rd choice now, with Miotti signing and Thompson being a top prospect.

Also with Cancillere signing, we have loads of wingers now. We have just signed Forbes, McKay coming in, McLean looks a nailed on Scotland start maybe even from next year, and Jones back in form / actually fit, you assume Seymour will be gone this summer, along with Nairn and probably Matawalu and who knows with Steyn. I would punt Tagive, but he will probably be back in the Scotland squad soon!

Edited by honestly united

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

Maitland is a big miss as is Jonny G obviously.

With France going for a big win there will be plenty of opportunity for some Finnsanity with our all our strike runners playing. 

I assume he’s hurt?  Thought he looked excellent at 15.  He looked a little peeved to be taken off, it must be said. 

7 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Backrow is where we need more bodies. Apart from Matt Fagerson, no one else is close to Scotland quality. Darge has potential so will be interesting to see him play, and Dempsey looks quality but  other than that backrow is an issue.

Edit to add - I know people were happy with Weir signing, but I think he is going to be 3rd choice now, with Miotti signing and Thompson being a top prospect

Backrows as far as I can tell: Dempsey, Gordon, Fagerson, Wilson, Darge, Miller. It'll all be down to how Gordon, Darge and Miller perform.

At 10 it's three different options so it'll probably start out horses for courses but hopefully Thompson can put a marker down. 

9 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I assume he’s hurt?  Thought he looked excellent at 15.  He looked a little peeved to be taken off, it must be said. 

It looks like the 6 Nations would only pay compo for five English based players and Townsend choose Hogg, Steele, Skinner, Craig and his love child Chris Harris. 

My son told me at the weekend that he's managed to get tickets for each of Scotland's group games for the WC in 2023.  I'm cordially invited to the first 2 games in Marseille V South Africa and Nice V Asia/Pacific1.  When i asked him the cost, he replied with a prompt "don't ask".

I'll do the 1st fortnight and return home while he heads off to Lille then Paris to meet his mates for the remaining games V Europe 2 then Ireland.

Happy days.

16 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It looks like the 6 Nations would only pay compo for five English based players and Townsend choose Hogg, Steele, Skinner, Craig and his love child Chris Harris. 

The most plausible reason I can think for that is Harris will be starting 13. Otherwise you surely take Maitland, Graham on the bench and Russell can slide into centre if you really need it?

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

Cummings and Grey as first choice are fine - Bain, Bean and McDonald dont really excite so hopefully we can add one or two there. I love Harley, but he just hasn't kept up with the recent rule changes and is a bit of a liability now.

Edit to add - I know people were happy with Weir signing, but I think he is going to be 3rd choice now, with Miotti signing and Thompson being a top prospect.

Also with Cancillere signing, we have loads of wingers now. We have just signed Forbes, McKay coming in, McLean looks a nailed on Scotland start maybe even from next year, and Jones back in form / actually fit, you assume Seymour will be gone this summer, along with Nairn and probably Matawalu and who knows with Steyn. I would punt Tagive, but he will probably be back in the Scotland squad soon!

Please allow me to indulge in a bit of pettiness and pedantry for a minute. There are a few folk on here who refer to Richie and Jonny "Grey" with an "e".

It's Gray, with an "a". I turn into a seething mess when I see it written as "Grey". If it continues, I'm going to hunt you all down and force you to listen to the collected works of Eddie Butler on a constant loop.

Thanks.

The farce that we fully expected. Funny how more people than Scots are feeling aggrieved now that it could effect Wales.

Looking online we have the normal calls for Italy to be replaced by Georgia no matter what. The discussions are great to read with lots of people pointing out the fact that Georgia have never beaten Italy before and the results v the rest of the Tier one sides are worse than Italys when they joined the Six Nations doesn't matter. But due to the world rankings they should ba replaced straight away.

7 hours ago, ajwffc said:

Looking online we have the normal calls for Italy to be replaced by Georgia no matter what. The discussions are great to read with lots of people pointing out the fact that Georgia have never beaten Italy before and the results v the rest of the Tier one sides are worse than Italys when they joined the Six Nations doesn't matter. But due to the world rankings they should ba replaced straight away.

Georgia have lost 1 game in 10 years in the REC is as much an issue as Italy having only won 5 games in that time in the 6 Nations.

For me you should have promotion / relegation on a 2 year cycle so you have played everyone home and away, then have a play off match ie last in 6 Nations vs Top REC so if Georgia beat Italy they deserve their place in the 6 Nations.

When Italy joined the 6 nations they were getting regular games against the tier 1 sides so obviously were going to get better results (and rugby was a much different game back then). Romania in the 80's had much better results than Italy in the  90's yet never got admitted. 

With this young Italy side, playing 2 years in the REC actually winning games would do them some good and build confidence, rather than getting hammered in hte 6 Nations, and they would still be playing Summer / Autumn Internationals against Tier 1, and it would also benefit Georgia getting 2 years of solid experience against Tier 1 sides - and would the 6 Nations be any worse now if you did swap them.

If you look at the countires in the REC now Georgia, Russia, Spain and Romania all have professional top leagues (with half the players playing in France) and if there was a chance of getting into the 6 Nations I think you would see an improvement and investment in these countries which would make a drop into the REC a better proposition. I know it could impact on Scotland but having another 4-5 countries at a decent level in europe helps make rugby a better game - at the moment you only have the 20 countries that qualified for the last world cup and a few others like Brazil, HK, Kenya plus the other REC teams as playing at any sort of standard. In football you have more than that just in europe that you would say are top sides.

To be fair as good as 6 Nations weekends are in Cardiff and Dublin, Im thinking Madrid, Amsterdam, Munich and Bucharest could be just as good!