Rugby Union

kiwififer

Watched the NZ v Wales game.....some effort by the Welsh. 21-18 up after 60mins - All Blacks just had too much in the end.

I notice England beat the Aussies in their own back yard too 39-28 - Good effort that! & Georgia drew 19-19 in Samoa!

Been watching the football so not sure how Ireland are getting on in South Africa? Expect the Argies to cuff Italy too.

Live on ss3 at 5.45 a win would see us into the semi's I think but you never know with the weird way they run these tournament s

I stand to be corrected but I don't think we have ever gotten out of the group stage at u20. Traditionally we get absolutely abused then play some no mark in a 10th/11th place play off.

11 changes from the Australian win and it's showing. Getting sorely telt off the English here. We will need Australia to lose to England otherwise even a bonus point win over Italy wouldn't be enough to qualify. ETA big gamble from the coaches. Would have expected us to go balls out for the win against England and rotate for the Italy game but I can see the logic in it. Hope we can sneak our way through. Further eta looking at world rugby website we needed to win here to make semis. Hopefully we finish the group well against Italy and get as high a play off spot as possible

Edited by dogmc

Watched the NZ v Wales game.....some effort by the Welsh. 21-18 up after 60mins - All Blacks just had too much in the end.

I notice England beat the Aussies in their own back yard too 39-28 - Good effort that! & Georgia drew 19-19 in Samoa!

Been watching the football so not sure how Ireland are getting on in South Africa? Expect the Argies to cuff Italy too.

England got pummelled early on but came back strongly and deserved the win, scored some excellent tries.

Great win for Ireland in SA, especially having to play almost 60 minutes with 14 men after Stander was sent off. Looks a very harsh decision tbh from what I've seen of it

England got pummelled early on but came back strongly and deserved the win, scored some excellent tries.

Great win for Ireland in SA, especially having to play almost 60 minutes with 14 men after Stander was sent off. Looks a very harsh decision tbh from what I've seen of it

after looking at a reply it looks reckless and if he did not turn his arse/leg into the other player it would of just been a pen or a pen + yellow.  

Also Wayne Barns is getting a slagging for overruling both his  assistant and the TMO in chopping off a NZ try for a forward pass. 

after looking at a reply it looks reckless and if he did not turn his arse/leg into the other player it would of just been a pen or a pen + yellow.

Also Wayne Barns is getting a slagging for overruling both his assistant and the TMO in chopping off a NZ try for a forward pass.

That's not like Barnes at all.....really can't believe how many matches he has ruined with both his arrogance and ignorance of the laws of the game

He must have some decent pics of some of the Irish based World Rugby officials. The TMO even told him the exact reason it was not a forward pass ( the ball left the hands backwards but went forwards due to the players momentum) and he still got it wrong

Also Wayne Barns is getting a slagging for overruling both his  assistant and the TMO in chopping off a NZ try for a forward pass. 

In real time I thought it was a forward pass too. The more I saw it on the slow-mo the less convinced I became.......I'm still not sure if it was or wasn't to be honest!

Wales' tour gets worse as they are pumped 40-7 by the Chiefs

I wouldn't read too much into that as they'll have played a 2nd string with the 2nd test coming up on Saturday.

Wales were outstanding for 60mins in the 1st test. Sadly couldn't hold out the remaining 20mins.

In real time I thought it was a forward pass too. The more I saw it on the slow-mo the less convinced I became.......I'm still not sure if it was or wasn't to be honest!

Its something I hate about the professional game, is the blatant forward passes not being given as the ball left his hands going backwards. IMHO it doesn't matter, if the ball goes forward at all its a forward pass. I know its hard to spot, unless you have a line that the ball crosses. I've not seen the incident in question, but sounds like Barnes may have got it right (which obviously would be a first!)

Its something I hate about the professional game, is the blatant forward passes not being given as the ball left his hands going backwards. IMHO it doesn't matter, if the ball goes forward at all its a forward pass. I know its hard to spot, unless you have a line that the ball crosses. I've not seen the incident in question, but sounds like Barnes may have got it right (which obviously would be a first!)

That's not the case though - in fact the definition of a backward pass is one where the hands go backwards. Any pass by a player running at top speed would likely be given as a forward pass by your definition.

To be fair I would give all of those examples as forward passes, however as with most of the laws of rugby they are open to interpretation by the ref and are usually not clear, ie taking the video's above they could all be classed as Forward passes or throw forward from the definition below the section used as an example are only to give clarity not the sole definition 

Law 12 Knock-on or Throw Forward

LAWS OF THE GAME RUGBY UNION 2016 82

DEFINITION: THROW FORWARD

A throw forward occurs when a player throws or passes the ball forward, i.e, if

the arms of the player passing the ball move towards the opposing team’s dead

ball line.

EXCEPTION

Bounce forward. If the ball is not thrown forward but it hits a player or the

ground and bounces forward, this is not a throw forward.

KNOCK-ON

A knock-on occurs when a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward,

or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits

the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another

player before the original player can catch it.

‘Forward’ means towards the opposing team’s dead ball line.

If a player in tackling an opponent makes contact with the ball and the ball goes

forward from the ball carrier’s hands, that is a knock-on.

If a player rips the ball or deliberately knocks the ball from an opponent’s hands

and the ball goes forward from the ball carrier’s hands, that is not a knock-on.

EXCEPTION

Charge down. If a player charges down the ball as an opponent kicks it, or

immediately after the kick, it is not a knock-on even though the ball may travel

forward.

Team for Japan game

Stuart Hogg, Tommy Seymour, Duncan Taylor, Matt Scott, Damien Hoyland, Ruaridh Jackson, Greig Laidlaw; Alasdair Dickinson, Stuart McInally, Willem Nel, Richie Gray, Jonny Gray, John Barclay, John Hardie, Ryan Wilson.

Substitutes

Fraser Brown, Rory Sutherland, Moray Low, Tim Swinson, David Denton, Henry Pyrgos, Peter Horne, Sean Maitland.

Team for Japan game

Stuart Hogg, Tommy Seymour, Duncan Taylor, Matt Scott, Damien Hoyland, Ruaridh Jackson, Greig Laidlaw; Alasdair Dickinson, Stuart McInally, Willem Nel, Richie Gray, Jonny Gray, John Barclay, John Hardie, Ryan Wilson.

Substitutes

Fraser Brown, Rory Sutherland, Moray Low, Tim Swinson, David Denton, Henry Pyrgos, Peter Horne, Sean Maitland.

Pleased to see jackson back at 10....disappointed we are still giing with laidlaw at 9. Hes a good skipper n kicker but his distribution is far too laboured and we have other kickers n potential skippers.