Rugby Union

kiwififer

9 minutes ago, Left Back said:

You forgot group stage world cup exits and losing loads of 6 nations games that tbh we should have been winning.

isolated results are OK.  We’ve never had consistent results.  Teams aren’t remembered for a winning record against England.  Titles and Grand Slams make memories.  This season was a huge missed opportunity with France the only real class side we had to beat.

Yes but Scotland were bad for a long time, so to have any form of expectation is foolish. The Irish newspapers say our players aren't very good didn't you know 

47 minutes ago, GordonS said:

You don't have to go far back on this thread to find folk saying Scotland haven't made progress under Townsend.

Away wins in Wales, England and France inside 6 months, back-to-back 6 Nations wins against the best French team in a decade, first time we've won in London and Paris in the same season since 1926 and literally one tap-tackle (or non-shite referee) from winning the Six Nations, away win against Australia, a monstering of Australia at home, an oh-so-close against New Zealand and a winning record against England over 4 years. And all while playing really watchable rugby.

Do they not remember the previous 16 years?

We should be sucking every scrap of enjoyment from this time, because when this generation goes we might have another couple of decades in the wilderness.

^^^This^^^

I think it is very important to put ‘hoodoos’ to bed. It’s on record that Scotland teams in the last 30 years  went to Twickenham and expected to lose. You expected that odd years meant 2 losses in Paris and London.

I honestly wondered would If I would ever see Scotland win at Twickenham again, such was the hold over us. Look at the 60 odd point doing we got under Cottar when we started looking half decent.

My earliest vivid memory when I started playing / watching as a 7 year old was pumping Wales at the Arms Park in 82 after losing for about 20 years straight -that was the start of the Grand Slam times of the 80s so hopefully we can kick on with no mental blocks associated with a particular venue. 

52 minutes ago, Detournement said:

And despite the UK governments putting in about £200 million taxpayer support they are planning on taking off FTA.

I thought it was mostly staying in FTA with the Italy games on Amazon? Did I miss something?

3 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
4 hours ago, Left Back said:
When was it Hastings put that penalty over from our own half in Paris near the end?  Game was pretty much done but that monster kick sealed it.

Hastings scored a last min try in 1995 to win in Paris...Right guy, wrong move

He is right, just the wrong time. Hastings scored a monster pelanty from about the half-way line in that game, but I'm fairly sure it was in the first half.

If we can find a way to not be Irelands bitches at some point in the next couple of years this team can really go places. Definite improvements in some areas this year and even in defeat we've shown spirit and character (coming back from 14 points down v Ireland, taking the lead against Wales with 14 men) but it is still a missed opportunity. 

Key takeaway from this campaign for me is getting those Twickenham and Paris monkeys off our backs and not taking our foot off the gas against Italy. Beating these teams away from home and chucking those records in the bin while being clinical and relentless against Italy are two essential pieces of a championship winning side. Our game management needs to be better on a consistent basis but overall we can be largely content with the campaign after last night. Get the crowds back in next year and we can really kick on.