Rugby Union

kiwififer

Just now, Detournement said:

You could see from Kinghorn's body language he expected to miss that kick. Pathetic. 

Could see it in his face the second it was given. The camera was on him at the exact moment it dawned on him. The stuff of nightmares if you're lacking confidence.

3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Losing by a point after five points that would be simple for a remotely competent kicker were thrown away by Kinghorn. Completely unacceptable, looking forward to Townsend explaining that away.

We also didn't take two very kickable pens. One in each half. 

1 minute ago, Uncle Scan said:

Bring back Russell. That No 10 was rotten with his hands and ended up rotten with his feet also

Kinghorn would have been playing today regardless. Russell wasn't available due to it being outside the international window.

On the plus side, Adam Hastings was excellent for Gloucester last night, so should start the rest of the AIs, hopefully with Kinghorn being fired into the sun

Just now, Mark Connolly said:

Kinghorn would have been playing today regardless. Russell wasn't available due to it being outside the international window.

On the plus side, Adam Hastings was excellent for Gloucester last night, so should start the rest of the AIs, hopefully with Kinghorn being fired into the sun

George Horne could have easily knocked it over but the poorer kicker had to take it because he is being anointed as the new 10. 

Young was decent in general but the held up and the card hurt us badly. Test level is a huge step up. Hodgson not getting the call after some solid performances was strange. 

Ollie Smith again was ok but his kicking was poor and when the 6N teams get a look at his weaknesses he'd be exposed. 

Was at the game and it just felt like another immensely winnable game that we didn't win, and there are far too many of those under Townsend now.

There were other players on the pitch to take that penalty at the end.

Glasgow were terrific on Friday night. It was good for Samuel and Ferrie to get game time out of the academy. It was good to see Tom Jordan get more time too. Last season we'd have won as we were at home but Danny Wilson would've had the reigns on us. Benneton were disorganised and their discipline was poor though.

It was good to see Ollie Smith get time for Scotland today. He played well but is still raw so not there yet but outside November we were limited. Kinghorn did well in open play but he's no 10 or at least not the first choice kicker. Unlucky not to win but today's game was about raking in cash post-pandemic.

Halloween last season we had 30K vs Tonga. Today was a s/o. We had just Glasgow and Edinburgh players. They had 12 Brumbies, 4 each from the Waratahs and Reds, 2 from the Rebels and Bernard Foley plays for the Kubota Spears in Japan (60+ cap rule). For that reason the November results are a far bigger deal than today. However there's pressure to beat Fiji and Argentina. Maybe now is the time to beat NZ too or at least match them like last time. Less than that then maybe it's time for change.

Kinghorn debate is pretty moot for yesterday with only the Scotland based players available, but regardless of where he's playing for Edinburgh for me he should be in every squad primarily as a back three player and emergency 10.

What has Dalziel been doing for the past 3 years? Lineout has been pretty pathetic for almost all that time. As much as I enjoy criticizing Townsend for giving up on "the fastest rugby in the world (TM)" and turning us into an arm wrestling team just as the rest of tier one moved on from that, hard to get an attack going when what should be your best platform just doesn't work. 

I'm not a fan of the outside window tests. That was pretty poor stuff today with two pretty average teams. 

Kinghorn was always playing today given window, but don't see him as a 10 and not sure about his kicking. 

Too many easy points left on the table by him and after he kicked that one to the corner which was perilously close to going dead (I thought it was) he yanked everything short 20 rows into the stands. Absolutely shite. 

I think he's playing knowing there is an immense amount of pressure on him and it shows. 

Hastings has to start next 3. 

2 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I'm not a fan of the outside window tests. That was pretty poor stuff today with two pretty average teams. 

Kinghorn was always playing today given window, but don't see him as a 10 and not sure about his kicking. 

Too many easy points left on the table by him and after he kicked that one to the corner which was perilously close to going dead (I thought it was) he yanked everything short 20 rows into the stands. Absolutely shite. 

I think he's playing knowing there is an immense amount of pressure on him and it shows. 

Hastings has to start next 3. 

I was right above that kick and I'm 100% sure it went dead. I was very surprised when the linesman gave the lineout.

To be fair to Kinghorn, i think that was actually his best game at 10 for Scotland, however the bar wasnt set very high. As has been said before his kicking was poor, his defence is "gate" like at times, but he has speed (except in defence where it looks like he is running backwards at times) and size and actually a decent range of passing at touches at times.

I would have him as 3rd choice for a worlc cup squad as he then offers options at 10, wing and fullback but I wouldnt want him starting games infront of Russell or Hastings. If you take the result at face value, losing by 1 point to Oz and missing a very kickable penalty in the last minute should be seen as a adecent performace with half a team. However we have beaten them the last 4 times, and had chances to win that. 

Our lineout has been very poor for some time - this time last year we lost vs SA as we lost 3 in a row and went from 3 points down to 10 in less than a minute from camped on their 5m line. Doesnt look like we acutally work on it at all

Was expecting that yesterday. Out of his depth Gregor should have been sacked after the Japan debacle.

Unfathomable selections, game management and failure to address the basics of the game.

Am sure he thinks he's a genius but results tell a different story and it's getting too frustrating to watch