Rugby Union

kiwififer

Same team apart from Watson coming in for Crosbie, who drops out. Bit tough on Crosbie but I guess he wants that jackal threat from Watson. I'm glad he stuck with the centers that have played so far. It would have been understandable if he'd decided he needed Harris in there this week, but I think he's made the right call.

Eta- actually just noticed he's gone for a 6-2 and dropped Horne out the squad as well. Actually thought Price played really well the other night against Ulster.

20230224_095445.jpg

Edited by GAD

2 hours ago, GAD said:

Same team apart from Watson coming in for Crosbie, who drops out. Bit tough on Crosbie but I guess he wants that jackal threat from Watson. I'm glad he stuck with the centers that have played so far. It would have been understandable if he'd decided he needed Harris in there this week, but I think he's made the right call.

Eta- actually just noticed he's gone for a 6-2 and dropped Horne out the squad as well. Actually thought Price played really well the other night against Ulster.

20230224_095445.jpg

Aye, in his interview he mentioned Price playing well for Glasgow and  being a threat of the bench so that seems fair enough. Also mentioned France have tended to go for a 6/2 split so there's an element of matching up and talks about the versatility of some of the squad who can maybe play multiple positions in the backs. No idea who'd play centre if one got injured mind you.

29 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Aye, in his interview he mentioned Price playing well for Glasgow and  being a threat of the bench so that seems fair enough. Also mentioned France have tended to go for a 6/2 split so there's an element of matching up and talks about the versatility of some of the squad who can maybe play multiple positions in the backs. No idea who'd play centre if one got injured mind you.

Steyn has played centre before, I believe. 

Still has the potential for someone playing massively out of position, mind you.  Thought Kinghorn might start at full back. 

That's a strong team.  Hogg has passed the HIA after the Wales game to be fit.

Harsh on Luke Crosbie however perhaps Hamish Watson's experience gives him the nod as we're away to the No2 side in the world who won the grand slam last season.  

I'm surprised that there's no place for Luke Crosbie or George Horne but it show's the talent and the competition that's there now.  Having said that, it'll be a tough ask in Paris.

I think Horne deserved to either start or bench in Paris, looked good off the bench in the opening rounds, and maybe that form deserved to be recognised. Crosbie, maybe the only member of the backrow you could've anticipated being dropped.

As said above, townsend keeping the centers maybe shows he isn't going there to sit tight and play a totally pragmatic game plan.

4 hours ago, GAD said:

20230224_095445.jpg

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Not a fan of the 6-2 split especially when one of the two backs is a pure scrum half in Price and then it's just Kinghorn to cover fly-half, both midfield slots and the entire back line. You're two injuries away from a complete disaster.

15 minutes ago, come on shire said:

Good team for the Lions away game on Saturday considering it's a 6 Nations weekend.

Great to see Rory Darge make his comeback from a lengthy injury.

Eli Caven at 11 has made the step up from the Ayrshire Bulls I think. All the best to him.

Screenshot_2023-02-24-14-09-20-32_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Why do they bother scheduling league matches on six nations weekends? Surely it hands a huge advantage to the South African sides.

10 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Not a fan of the 6-2 split especially when one of the two backs is a pure scrum half in Price and then it's just Kinghorn to cover fly-half, both midfield slots and the entire back line. You're two injuries away from a complete disaster.

TBF, you are only ever a couple of injuries away from disaster, especially in the backs. It's always one of the things that annoys me about the gubbing we got at Twickenham in 2017 that the fact Ally Price and Duncan Weir ended up playing wing and fullback for most of the game gets ignored. I expect he thinks Fagerson and Dempsey can fill in on the wings if need be as well. Steyn and Russell have played centre as well, Steyn has played in the center a lot actually.

34 minutes ago, come on shire said:

Good team for the Lions away game on Saturday considering it's a 6 Nations weekend.

Great to see Rory Darge make his comeback from a lengthy injury.

Eli Caven at 11 has made the step up from the Ayrshire Bulls I think. All the best to him.

Screenshot_2023-02-24-14-09-20-32_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

Good to see Dell back as well, has he played yet this year?

1 hour ago, GAD said:

TBF, you are only ever a couple of injuries away from disaster, especially in the backs. It's always one of the things that annoys me about the gubbing we got at Twickenham in 2017 that the fact Ally Price and Duncan Weir ended up playing wing and fullback for most of the game gets ignored. I expect he thinks Fagerson and Dempsey can fill in on the wings if need be as well. Steyn and Russell have played centre as well, Steyn has played in the center a lot actually.

Yeah he mentioned some back rowers could fill in if need be. 

3 hours ago, honestly united said:

Good to see Dell back as well, has he played yet this year?

No. He signed from London Irish I think but got a bad muscle injury in pre season.

3 hours ago, Donathan said:

Why do they bother scheduling league matches on six nations weekends? Surely it hands a huge advantage to the South African sides.

This is from earlier in the season. The original game was postponed due to a stomach bug in the squad. It affected Ulster too. That's why they're at the Sharks tomorrow.

Edited by come on shire