Rugby Union

kiwififer

13 hours ago, denltfc said:

Watching the U-20’s on RTÉ it’s Ireland 47 - Scotland 0 at half time !

what’s going on with underage teams ? Ireland look like monsters beside them. 

Finished 82-7 in the end. Scottish No4 got a red with 10 minutes to go. 

There's no defined pathway into the pro game. As it stands we've got too many of our squad playing amateur or at best semi pro. Either we need a district competition at age grade up, with highly competitive teams, or we do what Ireland have done and use private schools as mini centers of excellence. At present we do neither, and super 6 may indeed improve things, it won't bridge this almighty gap we see at present.

23 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

There's no defined pathway into the pro game. As it stands we've got too many of our squad playing amateur or at best semi pro. Either we need a district competition at age grade up, with highly competitive teams, or we do what Ireland have done and use private schools as mini centers of excellence. At present we do neither, and super 6 may indeed improve things, it won't bridge this almighty gap we see at present.

Also need better coaching.  Let’s not give excuses where none are needed.  

15 hours ago, denltfc said:

Watching the U-20’s on RTÉ it’s Ireland 47 - Scotland 0 at half time !

what’s going on with underage teams ? Ireland look like monsters beside them. 

Finished 82-7 in the end. Scottish No4 got a red with 10 minutes to go. 

Tbh. Scotland got a victory over Wales in this competition.  I think the difference is due to the Irish set up, they are churning talent through the academies,  particularly the Leinster one. We and other nations are nowhere near this. Irelands rugby future is tremendous and they will be at the very pinnacle of the game for some time.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Tbh. Scotland got a victory over Wales in this competition.  I think the difference is due to the Irish set up, they are churning talent through the academies,  particularly the Leinster one. We and other nations are nowhere near this. Irelands rugby future is tremendous and they will be at the very pinnacle of the game for some time.

I would agree with that. I was the Rock v Michael’s senior school cup semi during the week and the skill levels were immense. The size of what are 17/18 year old schoolboys was not normal and I do worry they are taking “supplements” etc which in later life will have consequences. The private schools now have 12 year olds on S&C plans, diets etc training and living like a pro plus they all play the same style of Leinster rugby. 

Young Prendergast from the 20’s is a outside chance of going to the RWC if Ireland can find a place for him. He is the next Sexton. 

of course that means nothing for tomorrow and I’ve a bad feeling about the game and expect Scotland to win. 

Edited by denltfc