Rugby Union

kiwififer

Really annoying that we're fifth in the world but that still means we're distantly the third best team in Europe. You folk that saw the 84 and 90 grandslams we're jammy barstewards. I don't think I'll ever see is win a slam and wonder if we'll ever win a championship 

10 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

France totally illegal at that scrum, tighthead driving in and up before the ball was even in.

I'll say it again, why isn't the TMO advising based on the spider cam?

Yeah, not even a bit of curiosity about why a scrum which was getting pulped suddenly has the upper hand, was clear as day the boring in. That and the no yellow card for all those penalties in the 22 my major gripes with the ref today. 

Thought we obviously started poorly, and were more wasteful than otherwise this winter, but we were superb for 60 minutes today. 

With the chances we had and our 2nd half performance we could've won that. However it's the 1st half that's cost us. We've went away to the world No2 side and current 6N champs and froze. That put us under pressure from the start and chasing on the scoreboard.

The red card turned out not to be a big deal as they got a red 5 mins later but I've always felt Gilchrist was a penalty machine.

26 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Difficult call to make when it’s so close - but a bonus point there in defeat could be the difference between going for the title v Ireland or otherwise.

Sore one to have that taken away after a fine comeback.

Ireland game about whether we can stop their grand slam

2 hours ago, Bodie said:

The poor line out didn't lose us the game. It was the poor start and the fact we were 0-19 after 15 minutes.

We were great after that.

Not quite.  By the time Brown had the ball in his hands for that lineout Scotland had responded magnificently and more importantly they had real momentum against a worried French team.  A win was very much still a live possibility.

Fifteen seconds and 20 metres later that momentum had crossed sides never to return, and if you doubt how worried the French had become then check the reaction of both their players and crowd to Fiquet's try.

It was worse than a poor lineout, a whole lot worse.

Frustrating as the referee was we shot ourselves in the foot way too often. 

Felt we should have gone for the 3pts on several occasions instead of kicking for the corner.  Simple errors cost us badly, from Brown's overthrow to the numerous knock-ons while we were in their 22.

They took their chances we didn't.

While there's undoubtedly a massive missed opportunity there and we could have won that game with the number of times we left the 22 with no points, there're been a few times in recent years - 2018, 2020, 2021 - we've come out of a tournament with 3 wins and 2 defeats which all felt like a failure.

If as you'd probably expect from this position we go on to lose to Ireland and beat Italy, I don't think you'd be able to say the same about this tournament: that would be defeats to the two best teams in the world, not choking against a beatable England or (twice) a dreadful Wales.

35 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

While there's undoubtedly a massive missed opportunity there and we could have won that game with the number of times we left the 22 with no points, there're been a few times in recent years - 2018, 2020, 2021 - we've come out of a tournament with 3 wins and 2 defeats which all felt like a failure.

If as you'd probably expect from this position we go on to lose to Ireland and beat Italy, I don't think you'd be able to say the same about this tournament: that would be defeats to the two best teams in the world, not choking against a beatable England or (twice) a dreadful Wales.

Agree with this, it's been interesting in the aftermath there has been less of the "that's Scotland crap again" stuff, and instead a bit of acceptance that it was a tight game that could have gone either way. To be honest, I think Ireland have now won the title, even if we beat them at Murrayfield I don't think we'll get the full five while stopping them from getting anything which is what we'd need as they are pretty sure to get the five from England, but after Scotland's historic performances in the 6N, a triple crown would still be amazing.

12 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Frustrating as the referee was we shot ourselves in the foot way too often. 

Felt we should have gone for the 3pts on several occasions instead of kicking for the corner.  Simple errors cost us badly, from Brown's overthrow to the numerous knock-ons while we were in their 22.

They took their chances we didn't.

Yeah, I think we chased the game far too hard early on. We were only 12 down when the French guy was sent off and there was nearly 70 mins to go. Didn't need to go after a try so hard as we had time. Just needed to get on the scoreboard. I think it's something they will learn from.

For me the biggest dissapointment is coming away with no BP's, which we are going to need as even beating Ireland we may not get the 4 tries and Ireland will probably run us close even if we do win. Its the small margins at the to level, and we were a poor lineout away from getting something out of it. The next game against Ireland is going to be huge for not only the 6 Nations, but it lays a marker down ahead of the World Cup meeting also. 

Having watched the Italy game, and granted it was way short of full strength, Italy seemed to find gaps which we should be able to match, and in attack, without Sexton pulling the strings didnt look great. If we can target Sexton early I think we can win.

You know what is coming with Ireland ie relentless cheating at every breakdown, constant offside, milking penalties and unfortunately a highly efficient power carrying game. If we can gain a degree of field position and keep on the right side of the referee we have a chance.

love it GIF

The last try was what got me really deflated yesterday. Would still have needed things to go our way but would have made our next game less of a daunting task. 

We definitely chased too hard early on but I think we were terrified of the game being in our half having only got three points out of it as France looked like scoring whenever they had it in the first half. How France managed to avoid at least one yellow card either side of half time is infuriating me as well.

Strange game for the forwards as Gilchrist's sending off, some of the first half defending and that last lineout were really poor (the red mainly as we lost Watson) but some of the carrying and handling was excellent, the lineout and maul was otherwise superb and except when there was some very obvious cheating we were pretty even in the scrum. Backline dangerous as ever and think we'll be able to take the game to Ireland in similar ways. We tightened up from first two but not quite enough.

Grabbing at straws but I'd say overall actually our best performance of the tournament and best in defeat if the Townsend era. Other years, like last, we would have been washed away by a french team playing that well.