Rugby Union

kiwififer

6 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Quite the backlash after this move.

There will probably be a silent protest at the next home game.

Maybe even some audible tutting will be heard, reflecting off the waxed Barbour jackets in the crowd.

17 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The SRU doing a great job of showing that rugby isn't just a sport for Tory arseholes.

There's an obsession with the Hampden lads about marrying up Scottish rugby to the Tories imo. They promote a tired stereotype but they're entitled to their opinions I guess.

However a lot of Scottish rugby fans aren't in agreement with those appointments and quite cynical of it.

Personally, I will never vote Tory but if there's the expertise to bring the organisation forward on and off the park after their political career then I'm open minded to it.

1 hour ago, come on shire said:

There's an obsession with the Hampden lads about marrying up Scottish rugby to the Tories imo. They promote a tired stereotype but they're entitled to their opinions I guess.

However a lot of Scottish rugby fans aren't in agreement with those appointments and quite cynical of it.

Personally, I will never vote Tory but if there's the expertise to bring the organisation forward on and off the park after their political career then I'm open minded to it.

It just sends out the wrong message though. Like it or not, rugby, especially in the central belt, is seen as a Tory, private school, "posh" sport. Over the past few years it's managed to get rid of a bit of that reputation, but it's still their and appointing a Tory Lord just sends it straight back to square one. To be honest, I feel the SRU have done next to f**k all to grow the game in Scotland and would probably be quite happy for it to go back to an Edinburgh private school boys club with a few farmers from the borders making up the numbers if they are good enough. Over the next 5 years we are going to lose guys like Hogg, Russell, Gray, Jones, etc and it's not looking like there is much of a plan to replace them except hope a few Aussies, Kiwis or English players pop up with Scottish  grannies.

Hogg has decided to retire with immediate effect rather than after the world cup! Bit of a shocker, only 31 and despite some folk thinking his time was up, I think he will be badly missed, mostly for his experience and his boot. I think it's a real blow gir our already slim world cup chances.

On the plus side though it must surely mean Kinghorn at 10 is dead.

1 hour ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Strange decision with the WC just about to start, is he getting over an injury?

He's been struggling with injuries all season, which was the main factor in him announcing he would retire after the RWC.

He basically said his body has given up and he won't be fit in time.

3 hours ago, GAD said:

Hogg has decided to retire with immediate effect rather than after the world cup! Bit of a shocker, only 31 and despite some folk thinking his time was up, I think he will be badly missed, mostly for his experience and his boot. I think it's a real blow gir our already slim world cup chances.

On the plus side though it must surely mean Kinghorn at 10 is dead.

Kinghorn was the best fullback Scotland had last season.  Hogg was pretty much throwing Townsend under the bus by announcing he was going after the WC, basically daring him not to pick him. 

21 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Hogg was pretty much throwing Townsend under the bus by announcing he was going after the WC, basically daring him not to pick him. 

Maybe he was playing weird mind games 

Or possibly ...

Maybe he was just clinging on to the belief or hope that he could pull everything together for one last push

The latter sounds more probable to me, but your version sounds more interesting so let's run with that

19 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

We do seem to love a tartan trim for world cup kits. I guess the lack of sponsor (quite the anachronism in the modern era; why is that?) maybe makes a standard kit look a bit plain.

Im sure its across the board that your not allowed sponsors at the world cup, i beleive so the sponsorship rights to world cup are a higher value. I quite like the tartan trim to it

2 hours ago, honestly united said:

Was looking at that earlier, my group were all going to get the new top for our trip but have been put off by that

Get mine the same place I got my last World Cup jersey...

mind you, larger size could be a problem🤣

5 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

RWC rule

Yeah but why? Its been mentioned above that the RWC Sponsorships are therefore higher, but every other tournament in every sport (not just rugby) have sponsors and allow sponsors logos if they are normally on the shirts. Are UEFA missing a trick here? Could they squeeze another ten million from Gazprom or whomever if Arsenal don't have Fly Emirates on their shirts?

3 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Like the football world cup and the Olympics?

If it's anything like the Olympics you're not allowed anything apart from an official sponsor within 100 miles of the place rather than any altruistic reasons

Watched the highlights of South Africa's 43-12 win over Australia this morning. Australia took an early lead but the Saffers just overpowered them after that and were comfortable winners. The Saffers weren't even at full strength with several players left out ahead of their trip to New Zealand. 

Edited by peasy23