Rugby Union

kiwififer

1 minute ago, Boo Khaki said:

So we either need to beat Ireland in a low scoring match but by 7 points or more, or win while scoring four or more tries?

A shitfest that we win by 8 points is ideal

2 minutes ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

A shitfest that we win by 8 points is ideal

I’d settle for sticking 80 past them. 

As for tonight, Healey’s kicking, the wee Welsh prop and the centres in the first half were my highlights.  Thought Hamish Watson might have played himself onto the bench for the Ireland game as well.  

3 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

So we either need to beat Ireland in a low scoring match but by 7 points or more, or win while scoring four or more tries?

Try bonus point probably irrelevant unless Ireland kick a barrowload of points rather than getting four tries.

The permutations are still myriad, but I think it's now virtually impossible to win the group.  You have to assume South Africa will get a BP win v Tonga and so would end on 15 points.  We would have to get a BP win v Ireland to reach 15 points, but as SA beat us, we could only finish ahead of them if Ireland also finish on 15.  Then Ireland would have to get either a losing BP or a try BP (but not both) to finish on 15.  Then we'd have to beat Ireland by 13 points or more AND have a winning margin within 11 points of SA v Tonga.

7 minutes ago, Gnash said:

The permutations are still myriad, but I think it's now virtually impossible to win the group.  You have to assume South Africa will get a BP win v Tonga and so would end on 15 points.  We would have to get a BP win v Ireland to reach 15 points, but as SA beat us, we could only finish ahead of them if Ireland also finish on 15.  Then Ireland would have to get either a losing BP or a try BP (but not both) to finish on 15.  Then we'd have to beat Ireland by 13 points or more AND have a winning margin within 11 points of SA v Tonga.

At least we won't be playing New Zealand in the Quarters!

3 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Does it go to head to head before points difference?

Head to head but if three teams are tied it's points difference.

Assuming South Africa get the 5 points v Tonga, I think it's impossible for Scotland to qualify if Ireland get a losing bonus point against us.

We either need to beat them by 8, or by 13 if both teams score 4 tries.

5 hours ago, ajwffc said:

Just back from the match. That was the strangest onesided game I have seen this tournament. As Romania actually put in some effort.

I think every yellow carded player shook the hand of the referee by way of apology when leaving the field.

The captain when being giving a general explanation to a team infringement by Wayne Barnes replied "sorry".

Scotland B were ruthless, clinical even. Traits I never knew as a team or a squad that we possessed.

Encouraged, but it's going to take a huge effort next week against the Irish to get out of the pool.

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

I think every yellow carded player shook the hand of the referee by way of apology when leaving the field.

The captain when being giving a general explanation to a team infringement by Wayne Barnes replied "sorry".

Scotland B were ruthless, clinical even. Traits I never knew as a team or a squad that we possessed.

Encouraged, but it's going to take a huge effort next week against the Irish to get out of the pool.

I don't think there was any malice involved in any of the yellow cards, just players bring caught out by poor technique against better, much quicker opposition.

A few slip ups that left points on the field too, no idea why Horne felt thar line-out had to be taken so quickly at the end.

22 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

I don't think there was any malice involved in any of the yellow cards, just players bring caught out by poor technique against better, much quicker opposition.

A few slip ups that left points on the field too, no idea why Horne felt thar line-out had to be taken so quickly at the end.

I'd agree with all of that to be honest.

I do think the 8 minute referral time for a yellow card to be looked at by the TMO is in the main a very positive step for the sport.

So long as referees don't use it to avoid obvious decisions they would normally make on field at the time anyway, it let's the game be restarted quickly and should take huge steps to protect the players on the field by forcing players to change their tackling technique which was definitely needed.