Rugby Union

kiwififer

The only other thing that cheered me up more than the Scotland game this weekend was Toony's very pragmatic and sensible interview on the Warriors website. Maybe not so bad after all.

Also, Edinburgh, with a FAIRLY strong side, lost at the Dragons.

Yep was surprised just how strong a xv they had out. Embra seem to be either very very good or bloody awful with little in between. Still think there has been more promise under hodge so hopefully the consistency will come. Might be that with so many youngsters coming through there will have to be some patience. Some genuinely exciting players coming through.

I don't think Glasgow were THAT bad on Friday night. The major problem is that they have set such high standards over the last few years (prob since the season before the title win) that when those standards drop, they look very poor in comparison. You can't expect to have 20-odd players missing and still produce a top class performance. We have been fortunate that they have actually managed it over the last few years, including using 50 different guys when they won the Pro 12.

It's obviously not good to be losing games like that, but the main thing to work on is just getting the guys back to setting high standards for themselves when we are missing a few. The first choice team is still among the strongest in the league.

4 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I don't think Glasgow were THAT bad on Friday night. The major problem is that they have set such high standards over the last few years (prob since the season before the title win) that when those standards drop, they look very poor in comparison.

I thought they looked bloody awful! Can't (off the top of my head) remember a worse performance, certainly at Scotstoun, even thinking back to Firhill hard to remember such an insipid game. We barely challenged them at all. 

On 11/27/2016 at 02:08, ajwffc said:

I think it is World Rugby decided who plays who at the moment. Not sure how they decide who plays who but we seem to be one of there picks to play the tier 2 sides. We don't play 4 games in the end of year tests/autumn internationals as not every weekend is in the player release period and the English league does not allow any non English international to be released to international duty outside the official windows.

World Rugby does have a say as do the Unions. Think it is mainly a mutual decision. 

6 hours ago, dogmc said:

Yep was surprised just how strong a xv they had out. Embra seem to be either very very good or bloody awful with little in between. Still think there has been more promise under hodge so hopefully the consistency will come. Might be that with so many youngsters coming through there will have to be some patience. Some genuinely exciting players coming through.

I watched the second half of that Edinburgh game, and to be fair to them the ref turned it into an absolute lottery. The breakdown was a complete free for all, twice dragons players on the wrong side of the ruck picked the ball up in front of the scrum half and threw it backwards, ref waved play on both times for example, and Edinburgh weren't much better. There was no flow or fluidity because both teams just did what they wanted, so it was constant turnovers, knock ons and random penalties, usually then given the other way at the next breakdown to even it up. I genuinely don't think I've ever seen a game officiated that badly.

I watched the second half of that Edinburgh game, and to be fair to them the ref turned it into an absolute lottery. The breakdown was a complete free for all, twice dragons players on the wrong side of the ruck picked the ball up in front of the scrum half and threw it backwards, ref waved play on both times for example, and Edinburgh weren't much better. There was no flow or fluidity because both teams just did what they wanted, so it was constant turnovers, knock ons and random penalties, usually then given the other way at the next breakdown to even it up. I genuinely don't think I've ever seen a game officiated that badly.

Didn't see it but being a pro 12 game I can quite believe it. The standard of reffing is consistently dreadful. It's highlighted even more when you see an excellent performance like the one in the Scotland Georgia game. Who was ref for dragons match?

3 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Didn't see it but being a pro 12 game I can quite believe it. The standard of reffing is consistently dreadful. It's highlighted even more when you see an excellent performance like the one in the Scotland Georgia game. Who was ref for dragons match?

Former Leicester and Connacht scrum half Frank Murphy. 

Mate's wanting to get me along to a 6 Nations game next year but £65 a ticket min?! That's eye watering.

I'm old enough to remember paying a £5 for my nus discount.....irony is we have a pretty poor 6n record under cotter and with Italy Ireland n England in really decent form it's absolutely no gimme that we will finish outside bottom 2. With players we have n Australia / Georgia performances we could be top 2 or 3 but it will be a tough tourney this year.

Bonus points system confirmed for 6 Nations.  Good move I think.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38157831

I can remember a few years back France did the Grand Slam and someone pointed out that England would have been champions if there was a BP system in place. That was just wrong in my view, so it's good to see they've tried to make sure that can't happen.

none

Ireland would have finished 1st not 2nd; France would have finished 2nd not 1st

Italy would have finished 5th not 6th; Scotland would have finished 6th not 5th;

Wales would have finished 3rd not 4th; France would have finished 4th not 3rd

none

none

none

England would have finished 1st not 2nd; Wales would have finished 2nd not 1st

none

England would have finished 1st not 2nd; Wales would have finished 2nd not 3rd; Ireland would have finished 3rd not 1st

none

So in conclusion it would've sometimes made a minor difference, and recently also a major one.

Oh, and it's potentially bad for us :lol:...