Rugby Union

kiwififer

Mike Blair was a really handy player for international weeks as well. Cracking sh and tons of experience. Equally Al kellock was often around for these games. Definitely agree teams have targeted Glasgow on international weeks too and the fact that Welsh n irish have 4 teams each naturally means they lose fewer players. The injuries certainly don't help either

ETA can't remember if it was last season or one before when Glasgow beat ulster despite 26 odd players out and the bench emptied after 50 mins. Players out of position all over the park n lacey giving ulster absolutely everything n Naka literally dragged the boys over the line. One if the gutsiest rugby displays I've ever seen. Toony should make them watch that video before every game during 6n.

Mike Blair was a really handy player for international weeks as well. Cracking sh and tons of experience. Equally Al kellock was often around for these games. Definitely agree teams have targeted Glasgow on international weeks too and the fact that Welsh n irish have 4 teams each naturally means they lose fewer players. The injuries certainly don't help either
ETA can't remember if it was last season or one before when Glasgow beat ulster despite 26 odd players out and the bench emptied after 50 mins. Players out of position all over the park n lacey giving ulster absolutely everything n Naka literally dragged the boys over the line. One if the gutsiest rugby displays I've ever seen. Toony should make them watch that video before every game during 6n.

I'd have guessed it was Leinster last season, if it is the same game Glegg kicked all 12 Glasgow points but I might be wrong.

I wonder if any contact was made re getting Nico back before he signed up at Exeter, he would have been capable of giving a spark during the six nations, as it is I don't think he's been stripped yet.

On 01/01/2017 at 20:59, ddfg said:

I'd have guessed it was Leinster last season, if it is the same game Glegg kicked all 12 Glasgow points but I might be wrong.

I wonder if any contact was made re getting Nico back before he signed up at Exeter, he would have been capable of giving a spark during the six nations, as it is I don't think he's been stripped yet.

I don't think Glasgow are that kind of club to be honest. Can't think of any overseas players who've even come back to us. I think once you're out, you're out.

Edited by GAD

For rugby league fans Bradford Bulls have been liquidated after failing to come out of there 3rd administration in 4 years 

They were a big club back in day. Rl really sold it's soul to sky. Wonder how many other clubs are struggling financially. Always dangerous to rely on murdoch.

4 hours ago, ajwffc said:

For rugby league fans Bradford Bulls have been liquidated after failing to come out of there 3rd administration in 4 years 

They'll be back later in the year -  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/38418199

"Despite the liquidation, the Rugby Football League has confirmed that a new Bradford side could compete in the second-tier Championship in 2017. The new Bradford team would start the season, which gets under way on the first weekend of February, with a 12-point deficit."

Is Neil Doncaster running the RFL too?

Ryan Grant away on loan to Brive with Sila Puafisi to join them at the end of the season. Brian Alainuuese cited for an alleged charges against Treviso with a hearing in Dublin tomorrow

Surprised to see an experienced player going out on loan with 6n coming up.

1 hour ago, dogmc said:

Surprised to see an experienced player going out on loan with 6n coming up.

unless he thinks he has an outside chance of making the Scotland team with more game time

What is it that's gone so wrong for the bulls? I thought super league was a franchise set up, so shouldn't the wealth be spread? Seems odd that a big successful club would go to the wall...... in rugby

It was a franchise set-up for places at certain times, but they're still clubs as opposed to actual regional franchises. Some of the clubs have been created from scratch or by merger in order to move up... most notably PSG (formed especially to join Superleague in 1996 and folded after 2 seasons) plus Crusaders (formed in 2005, joined in 2009 and folded in 2011). They have just established a new club from Toronto to the third tier which otherwise consists only of English and Welsh teams.

Nowadays there are 3 tiers on a 12-12-16 basis with promotion-&-relegation.

Bradford Bulls previously went into administration in 2012 and again in 2014. Third time unlucky. In 2011 both Wakefield and Crusaders went into administration. Punishments just a handful of points deduction. They appear to be treating it as a new club - as opposed to claiming it'll be the same club, though perhaps that will happen in time - but the RFL seems to be content with letting the new Bradford join at tier 2 where the old Bradford played and only deduct 12pts!!

I'm not sure if a top-level rugby union club has ever gone into administration - Richmond, West Hartlepool and London Scottish all did chasing promotion or after relegation, IIRC. Wales originally had 5 teams in the Celtic League, but dissolved Celtic Warriors (based in Bridgend/Pontypridd) after 1 season and Aironi were turned into Zebre after 2 seasons. Of course Scotland flitted to-n-fro with Border Reivers and Caledonian Reds.

Edited by HibeeJibee

London Welsh entered voluntary liquidation at the start of December to counteract a winding up order from HMRC. And want to reform as a semi- professional club but need to form a new company and pay a £300k bond to play in whatever league they end up in.
Aironi in there two seasons managed 5 league wins and one win in the Heineken Cup.

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 18:56, ddfg said:

Ryan Grant away on loan to Brive with Sila Puafisi to join them at the end of the season. Brian Alainuuese cited for an alleged charges against Treviso with a hearing in Dublin tomorrow

Or is he?   Curiouser and curiouser...

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby/ryan-grant-remains-at-glasgow-warriors-despite-brive-declaring-a-loan-deal-35342094.html