Rugby Union

kiwififer

Thought that was high from Vunipola. Replay shows it definitely was!

Between 6n n Pro12 I actually think there are more high tackles since the laws changed. Refs are pretty inconsistent with it too. Eta I don't mean pens given just more high shots. Dunno if it's cos players are so focused on turnovers n it's hard to turnover with low tackles.

Just now, same_ol_g35 said:

Yeah, I spotted that too.

Why is the TMO not intervening?

By the time the replay was shown, in terms of effect on the game, it was probably too late to penalise, but he still could have been warned.

Surprised he didn't have a look immediately though, given how tight it looked live.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

Is it that clear-cut?  I know I see more 'high tackle' decisions in schools rugby (rightly) but I thought arms round the shoulders was ok.

Over the top of the shoulder is a penalty, regardless of contact with the head. "Round the shoulders" is probably borderline, and could go either way.

Is it that clear-cut?  I know I see more 'high tackle' decisions in schools rugby (rightly) but I thought arms round the shoulders was ok.

Yeah it is....well it should be now! Glasgow have had a lot of cards on Pro12 for it so far. Shoulders are too high now. Is a reaction to the growing concerns over concussions.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

Over the top of the shoulder is a penalty, regardless of contact with the head. "Round the shoulders" is probably borderline, and could go either way.

Yes I get that and it should be.  I didn't see Itoje do that.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

Yes I get that and it should be.  I didn't see Itoje do that.

I know - I was just pointing out that there is a definite clear cut area, and still a grey area.

TBH, it requires action from the players and coaches to change their behaviour now, rather than the refs.