Rugby Union

kiwififer

I know you're taking the piss, but D'Arcy Rae was at Marr, while McDowell was at Kirdcudbright Academy, before Merchiston poached him offered him the chance to further his education.
Burr is a proper Gordonstoun posho though.

If I'm taking the piss (and I am), it's only because their parents deserve it.

Seriously, back in the day, I heard some first hand stories about how the age group teams were selected. Glad to hear it's not quite the same.

With the obvious caveat that its dragons and its pre season there was some lovely rugby from Glasgow in there. Lovely handling from half backs out. Horne n Hastings looked superb in what was essentially a reserve side. If nothing else Glasgow should be in a position to pick up more wins during 6n n autumn internationals.

Dragons new gaffer aims to seriously build the Dragons and have them challenging within 3 years.  We'll have to wait and see on that one imho.

NZ vs Oz was a cracker but Argentina vs SA also had its charms. Elton Jantjies is the new no.10 on the block and has impressed me.  Still too early to say whether the SA have finished their lull even though they've won 5 games on the bounce.  Argentina are still traditionally a team that only really play at the WC and (correct me if I'm wrong) but now have a policy where you must play in the country to be selected?  As for SA's 3-0 home series win vs France we have to remember that the French are traditionally honking away from home.

Dragons new gaffer aims to seriously build the Dragons and have them challenging within 3 years.  We'll have to wait and see on that one imho.
NZ vs Oz was a cracker but Argentina vs SA also had its charms. Elton Jantjies is the new no.10 on the block and has impressed me.  Still too early to say whether the SA have finished their lull even though they've won 5 games on the bounce.  Argentina are still traditionally a team that only really play at the WC and (correct me if I'm wrong) but now have a policy where you must play in the country to be selected?  As for SA's 3-0 home series win vs France we have to remember that the French are traditionally honking away from home.

Three years for dragons is wildly ambitious given how long it took Glasgow to go from no hopers to contenders n Glasgow only had to compete with embra to sign Scottish players. We also don't know how the sa sides will affect the league.

Magnus Bradbury to captain embra this season. Big surprise for me m I'm a huge fan of his. Think he will be guy to inherit the 8 jersey from Strauss but its a big responsibility when he's still a developing player. Ford Hardie Watson toolis Gilchrist would have seemed more likely tbh.

2 hours ago, dogmc said:

Magnus Bradbury to captain embra this season. Big surprise for me m I'm a huge fan of his. Think he will be guy to inherit the 8 jersey from Strauss but its a big responsibility when he's still a developing player. Ford Hardie Watson toolis Gilchrist would have seemed more likely tbh.

It worked alright for Al Kellock and Jonny Gray...

Quite enjoyed the final but how good would it be if Glasgow had a stadium similar to the Kingspan?

Misread this (after reading about the Dragons) as "how good it would be if Glasgow had a stadium similar to King's Landing". I can only concur.

On 26/08/2017 at 11:07, Savage Henry said:

No, an actual Scottish journalist.  On that note, English's take on that game: "Brilliant game and all that, but the All Blacks are on the slide."  Negative tosser.

Im amazed he didn't follow it up with a paragraph on Brendan Rodgers training methods being able to rejuvenate the AB team.

Went to the Warriors Q and A session tonight, Dave Rennie sounds very impressive, the kind of guy you'd want for your boss in any line of work. He was quite open that he has signed players to give cover for the whole season which makes total sense after some of last year's performances, quite a few injuries still to heal but a deeper squad with increased numbers of academy players with game time experience should hopefully see a better season than last.

Interview with Doddie Weir on BBC Radio Scotland later today.  I can barely make it through the trailer...

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-41073932

Christ i struggled at the bit in living with the lions when the doc told him his tour was over....this is on another level eta as a dad the bits where he talks about his kids really hit home hard.