Rugby Union

kiwififer

by CiaranIrl » November 3rd, 2017, 10:36 pm

I've never watched on Alba before. Serious shower of whinging p***ks they employ to commentate. Never heard anything as bad. Someone should record a few clips of Fraser Brown calling us cheats so we have something to play for the lads next time they show up to the RDS.

Did I called Fraser Brown Peter Wright the whole time? Or was Wright doing the English commentary for Radio Scotland as always? :unsure2:

*edit* it's fine, Peter Wright has been blamed.

Edited by Allan Jacobsen

Other than the second yellow I don't think the ref was too bad, every ref makes an arse of the scrums which makes me think it's more an IRB thing (love them or hate them they should get guys in like Moore, Wright, Dallaglio etc who know what it's about and help them see where they're going wrong at scrums and sort out the squint put-ins/line outs while they're at it). Some of the penalties were for daft things and for not listening to the ref and there were a few calls that went against both teams over the whole game. As I say though that second yellow was a shocker.

Agree except dallaglio.... He wouldn't have a clue about scrums...swap him for flatman n might be some progress

'That' try has made main page of bbc website with them asking if its try of the season. Sadly they went with the Scott hastings commentary where he manages to get nikos name wrong several times. It doesn't get any less impressive through repeated viewing. What a half of rugby that was.

Great to get the bonus point win and hold out at the end to deny Leinster two. One of the better performances this season but still feel like there's a lot more to come.

Sam Johnson I though was good again and as a 5th choice centre you can't ask for much better. Grigg outside him was impressive once again, particularly his rush defence which brought to a halt some promising Leinster attacks. As for Niko, I think it's important to remember when he makes mistakes that it is all more than worth it for performances like last night.  It's genuinely a pleasure to have a player like that playing in Scotland.

Great to get the bonus point win and hold out at the end to deny Leinster two. One of the better performances this season but still feel like there's a lot more to come.
Sam Johnson I though was good again and as a 5th choice centre you can't ask for much better. Grigg outside him was impressive once again, particularly his rush defence which brought to a halt some promising Leinster attacks. As for Niko, I think it's important to remember when he makes mistakes that it is all more than worth it for performances like last night.  It's genuinely a pleasure to have a player like that playing in Scotland.

Agree about Johnson he's found some super form of late. 38 out of 40 pts on offer is crazy given number of absentees this season. Still amusing to hear Irish fans mewling about missing players when you see how many Glasgow players have been unavailable for each game.

40 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

England comfortably leading 22-6 against Lebanon, fair bit of needle in the game with England's McGillvaray on report for an alleged bite. Video evidence not clear cut but there could be something in it.

Caught the last few minutes but the attendance looked awful.  I thought there'd be a bigger crowd for an established Rugby League team like England.

Caught the last few minutes but the attendance looked awful.  I thought there'd be a bigger crowd for an established Rugby League team like England.

What was the attendance? Its been hammering it down all day in Sydney which wouldn't have helped encourage casual fans.

Edit to add, also likely that people were sitting toward the back of the stands rather than pitch side to escape the rain? SFS attendances can look deceptive.

It's sad to see things becoming a bit of a joke with weak crowds, moonlighting teams, an English referee being allowed to officiate England v Lebanon and the RLWC main sponsor seems to be "KFC - $2.50 Large Chips & Gravy -Australia Only" :lol:.

Group A
Australia 52-6 France
England 29-10 Lebanon

Group B
New Zealand 74-6 Scotland
Samoa 18-32 Tonga

Almost inevitable that Australia will beat Lebanon and NZ will beat Tonga next week. France-England is nearly a deadrubber due to points differentials. Samoa v Scotland decides last place in B.

Attendances so far have been middling:

Australia venues
22,274 ... Australia v England
12,293 ... Australia v France
10,237 ... England v Lebanon
  9,216 ... Scotland v Tonga + Ireland v Italy doubleheader
   5,492 ... France v Lebanon
   5,103 ... Fiji v USA

NZ venues
17,857 ... NZ v Samoa
12,130 ... NZ v Scotland
  = === ... Samoa v Tonga

PNG venue
14,800 ... PNG v Wales

These were group crowds in 2008 (Australia hosting):

36,297 ... Australia v England
34,157 ... Australia v NZ
16,239 ... Australia v PNG
15,145 ... England v NZ
11,787 ... Samoa v Tonga
11,278 ... NZ v PNG
10,780 ... England v PNG
   9,287 ... France v Scotland
   9,270 ... Fiji v Scotland
   9,213 ... France v Fiji
   8,224 ... Fiji v Ireland (intermediate round)
   8,067 ... Ireland v Samoa
   8,028 ... Samoa v France (playoff for 9th)
   6,165 ... Tonga v Ireland
   5,942 ... Scotland v Tonga (playoff for 7th)

Edited by HibeeJibee