Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

As we were in Brussels anyway (en route to Lille for tomorrow’s France v Scotland game), it seemed like a such a good idea, at 5.00pm yesterday, to get tickets for last night’s Belgium v Sweden match. Eight hours later, when we were still to get back to our hotel, well…not so much.

We passed right past Boulevard d‘Ypres on the tram to the game, approx 20 mins after the incident. Noticed a heavy police presence at the Sainctelette stop. Didn’t know then what the reason was. We found out at half time when we discovered that the teams weren’t coming back on.

We were finally let out of the stadium at around midnight, after a more than a two-hour wait, and with all public transport suspended, we faced a 7km walk back to our hotel. Fortunately, we managed to get a taxi about 2km from our hotel, just as we were about to pass through the area where it happened. Not entirely sure how decanting 35,000 fans into the suburbs at midnight, miles from the centre, with all tram and Metro services suspended, and leaving them to their own devices to get back was the optimal strategy, but I guess it was what it was.

Thoughts are with those unfortunate Swedish fans who were caught up in this terrible business.

IMG_4052.jpeg

IMG_4056.jpeg

Edited by Frankie S

5 hours ago, Frankie S said:

As we were in Brussels anyway (en route to Lille for tomorrow’s France v Scotland game), it seemed like a such a good idea, at 5.00pm yesterday, to get tickets for last night’s Belgium v Sweden match. Eight hours later, when we were still to get back to our hotel, well…not so much.

We passed right past Boulevard d‘Ypres on the tram to the game, approx 20 mins after the incident. Noticed a heavy police presence at the Sainctelette stop. Didn’t know then what the reason was. We found out at half time when we discovered that the teams weren’t coming back on.

We were finally let out of the stadium at around midnight, after a more than a two-hour wait, and with all public transport suspended, we faced a 7km walk back to our hotel. Fortunately, we managed to get a taxi about 2km from our hotel, just as we were about to pass through the area where it happened. Not entirely sure how decanting 35,000 fans into the suburbs at midnight, miles from the centre, with all tram and Metro services suspended, and leaving them to their own devices to get back was the optimal strategy, but I guess it was what it was.

Thoughts are with those unfortunate Swedish fans who were caught up in this terrible business.

IMG_4052.jpeg

IMG_4056.jpeg

Was that at Heysel/King Boudewijn Stadion? Always think the missing bits in the corner make it look a bit shit. Glad you got back to your digs OK. 

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Was that at Heysel/King Boudewijn Stadion? Always think the missing bits in the corner make it look a bit shit. Glad you got back to your digs OK. 

Yeah, we’d been at the Atomuim (right beside the King Baudouin stadium) during the afternoon and noticed Swedish fans around, then realised there was a game on.

St Anthony's 1 Dunbar United 2, last Saturday. 

McKenna Park is pretty basic (better than a cage though!) although the Ants are a very friendly club. Being next to the M8 there's a constant traffic roar although you tend to filter it out after a while. Ants took the lead, lost a goal within 20 seconds of the second half restart and forced their more fancied opponents into extra time where a clear cut penalty won it for the Seasiders.

A good away support made up for not many home fans (although they do have Ultras!) which is disappointing considering there were no League games. Perhaps the good folk of Govan went to watch the Bens up the road instead.  

If any eccentric millionaires would like to fund a stand for the Ants it would be welcome.. 

ants10.thumb.jpg.2b1585723da54e713fce376864880d78.jpg

ants25.thumb.jpg.1efdcfaeb6d1f101cfb12e8426bd3278.jpg

Camelon 3-2 Heriot-Watt University 

Needed out the house, so a scan of the local fixtures brought up a revisit to our pals at Carmui... sorry the Moore Equipment Hire Stadium. 

No secret that we grew quite fond of Camelon but fell out with them with the Syngenta incident. Glad to see things are back on a more sensible keel now.

A very windy game that had an impact but didn't ruin the game by any means. 

The hosts raced into a two-nil lead and looked more than comfortable. The opener scored by the man that played twice for Clyde in a win and a draw but cost them 4 points, Declan Fitzpatrick. Wee quiz question for the exceptionally nerdy amongst you. Long range effort gets the students back into the game before half time. Camelon have the better of the second half but a wind assisted goalkeeping howler sees us level but the hero Fitzpatrick pops but with his second, in injury time to keep the points here. 

Camelon have an excellent set up. Hopefully the team can keep consistent and they rise the leagues. One of the best grounds in the pyramid.

P.S. I've lived, near as damn it, my whole life 10 minutes from Camelon and still not 100% sure on the pronunciation. Is it the same as Cambridge or Camera? Any locals care to confirm?

20231018_194615.jpg

20231018_205033.jpg

20231018_211736.jpg

Edited by Autistisches Nilpferd

Edinburgh University 0 Gala Fairydean Rovers 5.

Really not much to be said about this. Edinburgh defended abysmally and got deservedly eviscerated.

Was good to see Zander Murray play a cameo for Gala at the end and, unlike his many cameos with Bonnyrigg, he was finally rewarded with a goal tonight.

Wee group of Edinburgh ultras had some terrific chants. Some of my favourites:

”You’ve got a modernist [grandstand], we’ve got the classicists.”

”We are Russell Group, say we are Russell Group.”

”John Knox’s breeks, John Knox’s breeks, we’ve been anointed, with John Knox’s breeks.”

At least that was what I heard inside my head, as I had to tune them out after a while. Bloody kids and their drums, what are they like!

Train score: two. (Albeit second slightly after FT whistle).

Home baking selection: first class honours.

Away home now to bathe my ears in complete silence.

IMG_8725.jpeg

IMG_8722.jpeg

A first visit to Forresters Park for Tranent 1 Cowdenbeath 0. A decent and tidy ground. Attendance 300/400?! 

Entry £10. No programmes or teamsheet.

Cowdenbeath started this game much the better than the hime side and created the better first half chances. They put Tranents high line under a lot of pressure, Number 9 for Cowdenbeath was unlucky as he twice charged down the Tranents goalkeeper with his clearances. Both chances going narrowly wide. He also forced the goalkeeper into a good save in-between that. Tranent did have a couple of half chances. A free kick that Cowdens keeper easy stopped and another deep free kick where the header was saved. A decent first half. But Cowdenbeath will be frustrated at not taken a lead. 

Second half was more Tranent as it was they who created the better chances. Cowdenbeath switched of at a throw in. The ball was crossed in and Number 8 had a tap in to make it 1-0. 

Tranent were now on top and started to create a lot more. The Cowdenbeath goalkeeper produced three good saves and the goalscorer should have made it 2-0 when he blazed a shot high over the bar. 

Cowdenbeath tried hard to come back into the game. But it just wasn't working for them. The management team seemed frustrated at how deep they were, but they didn't seem to have the specific tactical nounce make the changes needed. It was just get higher up the pitch. 

Tranent comfortably seen out the rest if the match for a deserved win. 

Only Bo'ness and Caledonian Braves left to complete the Lowland League 

20231018_185319.jpg

20231018_192622.jpg

20231018_205514.jpg

Saltcoats Victoria 1-6 Kirkintilloch Rob Roy

West is definitely best today. Storm Babet not daring to go West of the Castlecary Viaduct. 

West to the land of Sir Stevie Clarke, Bobby Lennox, Hugh Munro and a club recently thrust into the limelight by our pal Footy Adventures.

The seasiders are bottom of fourth division against the Rabs who are 10th in the Premier, so a huge task for the hosts on paper. Made even harder when they conceded after 15 seconds. Fortunately an absolute rumping didn't follow with Rob Roy dominating but never threatening double figures. Saltcoats 16 year old goalkeeper unfortunately had a nightmare. Dropped catches and missed clearances lead directly to goals for the visitors who sail into the 2nd round of the West of Scotland Cup.

Campbell Park probably represents Saltcoats in general. Seen better days and falling to pieces a bit. Good place for the plane and train spotting though. Still an entirely adequate place to watch football on a very pleasant Saturday afternoon.

Hopefully Saltcoats can get things sorted. They did score a brilliant goal today and did show some good flashes. Good luck to them.

20231021_142206.jpg

20231021_152752.jpg

20231021_151956.jpg

Leith Ath 1-0 St Andrews United 

Third top against third bottom of East of Scotland first division. Did not look like there was nearly the length of the league between these two. Was a very even game in the first half with both teams having chances. Second half turned on St Andrews being reduced to 10 men for a “last man” challenge. Leith used the numerical advantage to score the winner. 

IMG_9312.jpeg

Haddington 0 Broxburn 1 last Wednesday. 

A narrow win for Broxburn in a clash I thought might have been more exciting. Mind you I'm bitter because I was watching bats flit around a floodlight when the only goal of the game was scored. :rolleyes:

hb1.thumb.jpg.ba7cf535c75f5ebd664044d837fa3514.jpg

hb2.thumb.jpg.96a53ce47dc1909f4531aaf29ca7b8c3.jpg

Late in the game a Haddington player needlessly halved a Broxburn player. Red card and some handbags ensued. 

On 13/10/2023 at 15:41, Andy groundhopper said:

Random ground this time, Bught Park - any senior clubs ever use this place ? Great stand 20231013_115940.thumb.jpg.a094b085aaf07063880e68cc15e3c724.jpg

Mainly used for shinty, played on it many years ago

used for a lot of the big finals Camanachd etc

When the unification of the 3 Inverness clubs was first mooted that was going to be the site for the stadium 

but apparently Highland Council didn’t want visiting fans coming through the town! The mind boggles, never mind 

So it eventually ended up 2 out of the 3 clubs in what was basically a Caley takeover and a Baltic Shithole at the bottom of the Kessock Bridge

Senegal 1-0 Cameroon .16/10/23  I think this is my most random match yet.

One that seemed to miss most of the tartan army was the fact that Senegal were playing Cameron last Monday in Lens around 20 miles from Lille

Part of the issue may have been the lack of transport back but we did it by Uber of 60€ which was not bad for 4 of us.

Chaotic to get in, crowd lively in a good way and the bonus of terracing , pints and some top quality players for 14.75€ as they made the tickets half price the day before the game

A penalty by Sadio Mane won the game for Senegal

F89pSQdXoAEC3-c?format=jpg&name=large

F89pdEYWgAAOy21?format=jpg&name=large

394321511_10160629409649933_423798991084

394365305_10160629409669933_588397615436

394328528_10160629409654933_650328794217

On the Saturday between Spain and France we took the 140km train from Seville to Cordoba for a bit of tourist stuff and the Cordoba v Merida game in the Spanish 3rd tier

A great welcome from the locals who invited us into their supporters bar at the stadium , ticket office sorted us out with tickets in the loud section next to the Ultras and a game that had both captains sent off in the first 30 minutes was great value for 10€

Cordoba 2-1 Merida 14/10/23 - attendance given as 9973

Smart stadium with everything in club colours, 2 tiers in every stand, one random floodlight and a great club anthem as the teams come out

394376873_10160629370609933_409275603026

394753674_10160629370619933_916154412507

394351944_10160629370624933_149919144793

We can see you sneaking out!

The guy at Camelon who has the wee hutch at the end of his garden watched the first half of the Camelon v Berwick Rangers cup tie tonight. (Does he pay in?)

As the third goal went in, he spat (literally), mumbled “embarrassing”, and promptly went home. I like to think he’s watching Coronation Street or Minder or whatever now with a simmering resentment. I walked all the way to the end of the garden and those laddies didnae show up!

Maybe he’ll come out again later when he’s finished his minty viscount. Although Camelon are losing 3-0 at HT, so the game is gone.

EDIT - finished 2-3. Mr Ovaltine didn’t come back out for the second half. He missed a spirited comeback under the spitting rain.

IMG_8882.jpeg

IMG_8883.jpeg

Edited by Le Tout P'ti FC

Cambuslang Rangers 3-2 Maybole

4 goals, a referee arriving at quarter to two, several players needing treatment. That was just the first half!

Not in the best of fettle this week so stayed localish and went to the land of staunch for Camby v the Bole. 

Nae wonder the ref was late, cannie find the place and even when you do it's an absolute bin. Perhaps a bit harsh, it did grow on me a bit but no Pie Hut, terrace falling to bits and the hosts out in a old Rangers Kit. Not my favourite.

Some game though. Cambuslang dominate but are only level at half time after a quick fire double from the visitors. A goal at 3:50 would usually have been a last gasp winner but there were still 15 to play after the delays. Cambuslang hold on for the win and get a much needed three points.

Been to Somervell, never need to go back.

20231028_141536.jpg

20231028_142651.jpg

Another derby game in the Gloucestershire County Lge: Almondsbury (relegated from Western last season) v Little Stoke - around 1 mile between the clubs. Almonds 4 L.Stoke 6 att 50+  some bad errors in the relentless rain, 14 ht became 2-4 and 2-6 before two late goals added some credit to the scoreline. Entertainment yes but lacking quality20231028_153714.thumb.jpg.18914e49245b90af4f8f3411c851f9b1.jpgchrome_screenshot_1698513772296.thumb.png.f3a8426bb9a55fa3841d62628e5e8807.png in defensive areas, luckily I stayed dry until the end !

My first game since September 9th. Ended up in hospital for nearly 6 weeks with pneumonia.

Dunbar Utd 1 East Fife 0. Got driven by a mate as it was my first outing. A quick beer at the Station Yard Micropub and managed to squeeze into the stand.
The Fifers had the bulk of the ball as expected but apart from a looping header from Faz which came off the bar they had very little to offer. Then in a rare Dunny break just before half time the nippy no 11 Gregory got upended by Comerford and Whitson put Dunny ahead from the spot.

The Fifers laid siege to the goal for about 15 minutes after the break but eventually seemed to run out of ideas and Dunny had a couple of great chances to sew it up. Scenes at the end.

IMG_8699.thumb.JPG.7e79766bb3f9f4cd586529dff66c1023.JPG

IMG_8695.thumb.JPG.8e7f0390e244c7bb16f8736aa35042a2.JPG

IMG_8707.thumb.JPG.93525e67a24365352a6c1797b8d5c3b3.JPG

IMG_8702.JPG