Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

On 26/11/2023 at 16:40, An Eejit Abroad said:

I’d previously wondered why there was talk of Inter and Milan moving out of such an iconic stadium. I don’t wonder why now. I don’t think you could build a stadium which is less aimed at making the fan experience comfortable. A nightmare to get out of and a nightmare to get to a toilet. Fantastic atmosphere though and even more spectacular a building in person than it looks on tv. A great experience for a child of Football Italia.

I love San Siro and also don't want them to leave but yes, it's a bit rough around the edges, isn't it? Facilties wise it's not great and the toilets are almost impossible to get to at half time. Still looks amazing when you get off the tram/metro and look up at the height of it and the size of those red steel bars holding up the roof. 

13 hours ago, An Eejit Abroad said:

.Bergamo is a lovely town and well worth a visit, even when hit with very Scottish weather as we were. Plenty of bars and restaurants and a great old town up the hill which you can reach by funicular. The Gewiss Stadium is also home to the best Burger King I’ve ever had - a fantastic Italian culinary experience. 

Bergamo is nice and we also had a fantastic culinary experience there - went to a Ristorante where lots of locals seemed to be eating. The menu was hand written, nobody spoke English and when we asked for some Coca Cola they just brought out a 2 litre bottle and dumped it on the table. Looking over the menu, we didn't recognise much as we weren't particularly fluent back then. We saw two things we recognised - bistecca and assino. Luckily they had steak so we didn't need to have a go at the donkey...

Monza 1-2 Juventus
Att: 15,148

There are some good players in this Juventus team but on this showing they are anything but a good team. Having taken the lead in the first half they spent most of the second camped in their own box. Monza equalized in injury time before Juventus did show some mettle by getting a very late winner. Monza very much hard done by in this one.

Bit of a strange environment with much of the non-curva home end full of Juventus fans. Did we give the local Juventus fans a bit of a hard time when Monza scored? Yes. Did that come back to haunt us almost immediately? Also yes. Another nice old town though and no sign of Berlusconi’s influence at all. Monza is only 15 minutes from Milan Centrale so very handy for anyone in town and looking for some football. The stadium is a very pleasant half hour walk from the train station. 
IMG_6576.thumb.jpeg.c4a26539b25e34b454102ac3c5b3919e.jpeg

Plan A: Forres P Brechin P.

Plan B: Nairn P Huntly P.

Plan Clach P Locos P.

At this point I admitted defeat, and went to the rugby instead. My local(ish) team Biggar are visiting Highland so I thought I would come and lend them some support.

Twenty five minutes in and I’m already deeply bored and hatching an escape plan. Rugby is just not my game. I’ve tried to get on with it occasionally, but it’s just unlikeable for my tastes.

Anyway, tremendous facility here at Canal Park, and good to see the referee has honoured the forfeit he must have signed up to by wearing that kit. Maybe he’s fundraising? Or packed his kit bag in a hurry last night during a power cut?

Ps. I do realise Caley are playing Raith a few miles away. Just didn’t fancy it. Too high up the leagues for me, I’d get a nosebleed. Also I can get a pint here and don’t have to sit in a crappy plastic seat in these temperatures. 

IMG_9298.jpeg

IMG_9295.jpeg

Managed to get to a game today. And it was my original choice as well. Largs Thistle V Lochee United in the Junior Cup. And it turned out to be an incident filled thriller as well. I wasn't sure what to expect before hand with Largs being mid table WOS Prem against free scoring Midland league leaders. 

Largs took the lead on 17 minutes  when the ball broke for Ramsay on the edge of the box. He controlled the ball before shooting past Easton in the Lochee goal. Largs then controlled the rest of the first half and doubled the lead on 40 minutes when Sewell had a left footed shot from the edge of the box beat Easton at the far post. A deserved 2-0 Half time lead for Largs.

Lochee though are not undefeated this season for nothing. They came out more determined in the second half as Largs dug in and tried to counter. They got deeper and deeper. Lochee won a free kick on the right which was swung in. Scobie met the cross and headed home! Game on! McCreath who had been booked in the first half then received a second yellow (can't remember if this was before the first goal for Lochee) the pressure was no building and the Largs assistant manager was given a straight red for dissent. The equaliser came when Lochee won another free kick 30 yards out. The free kick was fumbled by Zalewski in Largs goal and the ball was scrambled home for 2-2. Both teams then seemed to want to avoid penalties as they pushed for a winner. Largs came closest as they hit the cross bar with the last kick on 95 minutes. 

Penalties it was then. Lochee went first and scored each of their 3 penalties as Easton in Lochee's goal was the hero as he produced two outstanding saves. The third Largs penalty went wide and Lochee went into the last 8, 3-0 on penalties. 

Entrance £9, programme £2. 

20231202_145522.jpg

20231202_160601.jpg

On 01/12/2023 at 21:03, ScottR96 said:

Random Matches I Nearly Went To: Glasgow University P-P Wishaw

Thought this would’ve been a safe bet with the plastic pitch. I decided to ditch the car and get the train so I could get a beer, which is monumentally stupid at the best of times with Airdrie’s ground being so inaccessible via public transport.

Before I learned to drive I got the train from Glasgow Queen Street Low Level, got off at Drumgelloch and walked through the scheme, about a ten minute walk. 

Anyway Airdrie is a f**king cold ground so perhaps a good miss for you! 

baba.thumb.jpg.390b4b44772c797a610727b50166c0ae.jpg

Bo'ness Athletic 3 Broxburn Athletic 4 (East of Scotland Qualilfying Cup, last Tuesday)

Some game this was. Broxburn scored first, Bo'ness Ath equalised and then went 3 up, with their wee winger on loan from Stirling Albion ripping the Broxburn defence up for toilet paper. Thinking it was job done he was taken off with 15 minutes to go and inspired substitutions by Broxburn saw them bring the game back to 3-3. Just as I thought "bugger extra time, it's freezing" Broxburn snatched a last, gasp, winner. Phew! 

Fellow idiots football fanatics @Crow and @Jordi1977 were also at this game.

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Before I learned to drive I got the train from Glasgow Queen Street Low Level, got off at Drumgelloch and walked through the scheme, about a ten minute walk. 

10 minutes 

Yeh on horseback.

FC Copenhagen 1-2 Aarhus

We’re on a family holiday in Copenhagen, so I took the opportunity to take my youngest son to a local game. Copenhagen have been setting the pace in the Danish Superliga this season, but have stumbled recently, and Brondby’s win earlier in the day meant that FCK kicked off in second place. They were still there at full time thanks to two goals from corners which Copenhagen defended horrendously, and some excellent work from Aarhus’s goalkeeper. Copenhagen had two goals correctly disallowed for offside, and despite having the huge majority of possession and chances, couldn’t take anything from the game. 
It was a great experience for both me and the wee man - we barely ever travel to away matches, never mind foreign games - impressive stadium, good atmosphere in both ends, and very easy to get to on public transport. Man of the match was Elias Achouri, a Tunisian winger who looked dangerous on the attack and got FCK’s goal. 

IMG_3691.jpeg

IMG_3703.jpeg

22 hours ago, tamthebam said:

There’s definitely grounds that are worse to get to but Airdrie is just a b*****d to get to in general - I stay in Motherwell, less than 6 miles from the stadium, but to get there on the train you need to go to from Motherwell to Partick, then Partick to Airdrie/Drumgelloch. There’s also absolutely nothing next to the ground. Broadwood used to get a bad rap from away fans for similar reasons but I think it’s 10x better than Airdrie. 

2 hours ago, PossilYM said:

And you can give me the route from leaving the station?

Go left leaving the station, turn left at the second junction. Over the bridge, on your right is a set of stairs. Go down and walk straight ahead  for about quarter of a mile, turn left, then right. Stadium is right in front of you. 0.9 of a mile on Google which says 19 minutes but nearer 10. You'll pass my Aunt's house.

50 minutes ago, ScottR96 said:

There’s definitely grounds that are worse to get to but Airdrie is just a b*****d to get to in general - I stay in Motherwell, less than 6 miles from the stadium, but to get there on the train you need to go to from Motherwell to Partick, then Partick to Airdrie/Drumgelloch. There’s also absolutely nothing next to the ground. Broadwood used to get a bad rap from away fans for similar reasons but I think it’s 10x better than Airdrie. 

The 201 bus from Hairmyers goes through Motherwell and drops you right outside the park. Might take about an hour though.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

3 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Probably the most direct way to Airdrie's ground from the centre of Glasgow is the 902 from Buchanan St bus station. That will drop on the main road outside the ground.

That would depend on where you're coming from. People will come from a variety of directions. 

Have you worked out the walk yet?

Just been to see the Copa del Rey clash between Málaga&eldense,finished 1-0.nice ground,horrible weather

Caught part of the tercera game between torre del mar&ath melilla.would have caught whole game except for federation pulling Ko forward 90mins with less than a day's notice🤬

Was supposed to be going to see juventud torremolinos -motril in the tercera tomorrow but that's just been cancelled at short notice,full stop,the RFEF makes the Scottish football authorities look competent 

IMG_20231206_181847.jpg

IMG_20231206_130019.jpg

Caught port glasgow-ardeer thistle in the juniors yesterday as I happened to be in Glasgow.PG had a 16 yo trialist up front,got 2 of the 3 goals.looked like a skinny Edison cavani,could play a bit too.some exquisite touches&passing as well.got the feeling at the end everyone there felt they'd seen something a bit special;I go to lots of football&watch hours&hours of dross for these occasional moments of brilliance