Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Bonnyrigg Rose 1-7 Dundee (0-4 HT) @ New Dundas Park 🌱. 3pm. Premier Sports Cup 🏆 Group D. The impressive Premiership side ran out big winners taking a 3-0 lead after just 17 minutes. The Rose 🌹 did manage a goal back but it was a comfortable afternoon for Dundee. Crowd 987.

IMG_1228.jpeg

IMG_1229.jpeg

IMG_1230.jpeg

IMG_1231.jpeg

Scotland 1-0 Serbia

Back to Maryhill to do the wee ground after Lochburn a couple of weeks ago. 

Fortunately I'd some toil to take at work so we made the ridiculous 6pm Tuesday night kick off. A healthy crowd in attendance to see Scotland top the qualification group and move onto the playoffs. 

Just before the game an idiot came up to us and said "that's my seat" I delighted in telling him that "no, it wasn't". Seat 121 is not 125 pal. He kept quiet the rest of the game. Don't wish to indulge stereotypes but an American accent and a Glasgow University cap didn't help him.

Good game. Sensible decision to play at Firhill. Great atmosphere. Do wish I'd had a shot in the old Firhill but not meant to be. 

20240716_175513.jpg

20240716_192007.jpg

20240716_194405.jpg

Managed to squeeze in my first visit to Tannadice.  Dundee United 3 Stenhousemuir 0.  Pie of the Month, kebab pie.

As expected, the home side looked sharper and Stenny really only threatened for the last ten minutes.  Both sides tried to play some decent stuff.  The Stenny fans I was chatting to should enjoy this season's adventures.

20240716_192056.jpg

20240716_200425.jpg

Another day/evening,another outrageously picturesque grassroots ground in the Highlands

First ever home game at their own ground in Drumnadrochit for glenurquhart FC of the Inverness&district AFA div2,vursus highland.prior to this they always played in or around Inverness.

Summer evenings were made for this sort of thing

unfortunately for glenurquhart they lost a late goal to lose 1-2 after going ahead at the start of the second half

IMG_20240717_191434.jpg

IMG_20240717_191429.jpg

Edited by highlandmac

Pollok 2-0 St Roch’s

Good friendly fare in Glasgow. Pollok were far the better side but both teams tried to play with the ball on the ground.

Decent crowd for a Wednesday night. Top tier supporters flags from both clubs - Los Pollok Hermanos a personal favourite. Couple of pints in the Quaich beforehand went down well. All in all a good evening out. 
IMG_7357.thumb.jpeg.a70191dd28516835f0fbb6b502181f5b.jpeg

Forth Wanderers 1-2 Lesmahagow, Clydesdale Cup semi-final, attendance 100. £6 entry.

First random match of the season, at a ground I really like, mostly for its views over the moors to the Pentlands and for the fine woodland around. Nice wee pie portacabin too. I was a few minutes late and missed Gow's opener, and it wasn't long before they added a second. A Forth defender thought his keeper was in his goal rather than standing right behind him, so his pass-back created a foot-race between keeper and forward, and there was only going to be one winner. Forth pulled a scrappy goal back later and threw the kitchen sink at the visitors as the game wore on, but it wasn't to be.

Judging by the tackles and how hard a game both sides gave the referee - especially Forth - the Clydesdale Cup must be an incredibly valued trophy. 

20240717_191032~2.jpg

Edited by GordonS

4 hours ago, highlandmac said:

Another day/evening,another outrageously picturesque grassroots ground in the Highlands

First ever home game at their own ground in Drumnadrochit for glenurquhart FC of the Inverness&district AFA div2,vursus highland.prior to this they always played in or around Inverness.

Summer evenings were made for this sort of thing

unfortunately for glenurquhart they lost a late goal to lose 1-2 after going ahead at the start of the second half

IMG_20240717_191434.jpg

IMG_20240717_191429.jpg

Where do you find fixtures for that league? I find they only seem to come out on Facebook on the day or day before matches. Enjoying following your travels btw.

9 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Forth Wanderers 1-2 Lesmahagow, Clydesdale Cup semi-final, attendance 100. £6 entry.

First random match of the season, at a ground I really like, mostly for its views over the moors to the Pentlands and for the fine woodland around. Nice wee pie portacabin too. I was a few minutes late and missed Gow's opener, and it wasn't long before they added a second. A Forth defender thought his keeper was in his goal rather than standing right behind him, so his pass-back created a foot-race between keeper and forward, and there was only going to be one winner. Forth pulled a scrappy goal back later and threw the kitchen sink at the visitors as the game wore on, but it wasn't to be.

Judging by the tackles and how hard a game both sides gave the referee - especially Forth - the Clydesdale Cup must be an incredibly valued trophy. 

20240717_191032~2.jpg

Looks great. Are you mostly attending these games on your own or with mates?

18 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Looks great. Are you mostly attending these games on your own or with mates?

I would have thought the frequency with which I post on these pages would make the answer to that obvious...

Edited by GordonS

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

Where do you find fixtures for that league? I find they only seem to come out on Facebook on the day or day before matches. Enjoying following your travels btw.

At the moment,with great difficulty.at the start of the season IDAFA were pretty good at announcing them,sometimes at the start of the week,sometimes the morning of the game(premier league,D1,D2=mon,Tues,weds respectively) but lately you'll get them an hour before the game,if at all,I got this one trawling individual clubs on Facebook as it was a lovely evening &wanted the fresh air.someone seems to be doing a spreadsheet,though-go to IDAFA Facebook page&look at the comments under Monday 15.7 fixtures,there's a bit of moaning about fixtures not being announced&a link

Ta for the kind comments 

3 hours ago, highlandmac said:

At the moment,with great difficulty.at the start of the season IDAFA were pretty good at announcing them,sometimes at the start of the week,sometimes the morning of the game(premier league,D1,D2=mon,Tues,weds respectively) but lately you'll get them an hour before the game,if at all,I got this one trawling individual clubs on Facebook as it was a lovely evening &wanted the fresh air.someone seems to be doing a spreadsheet,though-go to IDAFA Facebook page&look at the comments under Monday 15.7 fixtures,there's a bit of moaning about fixtures not being announced&a link

Ta for the kind comments 

Thanks, I was hoping I was missing something but sadly not. It's the same for the NW Sutherland league too.

12 hours ago, GordonS said:

Thanks, I was hoping I was missing something but sadly not. It's the same for the NW Sutherland league too.

To be fair,the NWS leagues Comms are massively improved this season,they've even put out a full list of post split fixtures,it's like night&day compared with last season.still the odd blip but fair play to them for a massive improvement 

Oakley United 1-2 Easterhouse 

Had to spend the morning in my side hustle as chauffeur. So couldn't stray too far this afternoon. We ended up back at Blairwood Park in Oakley for their friendly against Easterhouse of the West Fourth Divison. Despite family connections we have still to go to Stepford. It is on the to do list now it is slightly less cagey.

Oakley have kept themselves out of the press due to Vale of Leithan's fall from an even higher precipice. The fall from East Premier to East Second can't be pleasant for the hard working committee. Based on today their fall to the bottom may continue. The visitors from the East End of Glasgow took the spoils with two second half goals. They'll be hoping to improve on their third bottom place in the 4th Division last year. Signs for optimism for sure. We'd a minutes silence pre kick off. No idea who it was for a no one mentioned anything. Always amusing when that happens.

I like Blairwood a lot. It's a fantastic ground far better than the team that use it. Was more than happy to come back when the fixture came up. Best of luck to both teams for the upcoming season.

20240720_142825.jpg

20240720_154150.jpg

First game of the Season for myself, loon and old man. Banks O Dee v Hermes Bridge of Don.

4-1 FT 

Hermes went 1-0 up early after The BOD keeper messed up costing out and was caught out. Hermes were in control sold defending even saving a soft taken BOD Penalty. BOD pulled it back to 1-1 before half time. Second half BOD went up a gear to finish them off. 

good new little stand behind the goals at Spain park. 

287F3D3B-7EB9-4937-BB5B-7F9A585605EF.jpeg

CEE49444-E44F-4EC6-B712-1E6556FE2B56.jpeg

Lanark Utd 3-0 Lesmahagow, Clydesdale Cup final.

I was at Lesmahagow's semi-final win last week, and given there's only four teams in it I can say I've done this year's Road to the Ewe Camp.

I was keeping Lanark for my last pyramid ground but the scheduling of this was too good. This is a well-loved ground and justifiably so.

Lanark dominated throughout and could have won by a lot more. No idea if this was a fair reflection of the real strength of either side or not but it was an enjoyable match. Highlight from the songbook of the home side's gaggle of weans was 'I'm no' a Gow, I'm a yow."

20240722_190432.jpg

20240722_191851.jpg

20240722_193218.jpg

4 minutes ago, Groundhopping Adventures said:

Ewe Camp is either tremendous patter by @GordonS or a damned obvious pun that I can't believe I missed

I've heard it a few times before, I think it's well used. 

19 hours ago, GordonS said:

Lanark Utd 3-0 Lesmahagow, Clydesdale Cup final.

I was at Lesmahagow's semi-final win last week, and given there's only four teams in it I can say I've done this year's Road to the Ewe Camp.

I was keeping Lanark for my last pyramid ground but the scheduling of this was too good. This is a well-loved ground and justifiably so.

Lanark dominated throughout and could have won by a lot more. No idea if this was a fair reflection of the real strength of either side or not but it was an enjoyable match. Highlight from the songbook of the home side's gaggle of weans was 'I'm no' a Gow, I'm a yow."

20240722_190432.jpg

20240722_191851.jpg

20240722_193218.jpg

Still good, pity about the old terrace being away now though.