Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Peebles Rovers 2-1 Vale of Leithen (0-0 HT) @ Whitestone Park ☀️. EOSFL Division Two. 2.30pm. 07.09.24. A first competitive meeting in 14 years. Vale were made to pay for not taking a huge chance before half time. The hosts struck twice shortly after and held on. Crowd 167.

IMG_4867.jpeg

IMG_4868.jpeg

IMG_4869.jpeg

IMG_4870.jpeg

The Tangs 0-12 Easthouses AFC (0-8 HT) @ Cavalry Park 🌱. Scottish Sunday Trophy 🏆 R1. 10.30am. Comfortable win for the Midlothian side who fielded some good players. The Tangs had chances of their own but they couldn’t add a consolation ⚽️ or 2. Crowd 31.

IMG_4871.jpeg

IMG_4872.jpeg

IMG_4873.jpeg

Gala Fairydean Rovers 2-2 Hibernian Development (1-1 HT) @ Netherdale 🌱. Friendly. 7.45pm. Really good game. Hibs took the lead twice but Gala 🧚 battled away, played some good stuff and it ended all square. Had to get the big coat out 🥶. Crowd 271.

IMG_4874.jpeg

IMG_4875.jpeg

IMG_4878.jpeg

IMG_4877.jpeg

IMG_4876.jpeg

Hutchison Vale 1-4 Livingston (1-1 HT) @ Saughton Enclosure 🌱. SFA Youth Cup R2 🏆. 7.30pm. The home side ahead early on from the spot but Livingston came back to lead 2-1. HV looked for an equaliser but a quick fire double ⚽⚽️ midway through the 2nd half settled it. Crowd 131.

IMG_4879.jpeg

IMG_4880.jpeg

IMG_4881.jpeg

Celtic 5-1 Slovan Bratislava 🇸🇰 (1-0 HT) @ Celtic Park 🌱. UEFA Champions League Group Stage. 8pm. Brendan Rodgers side blow their Slovakian visitors away with a brilliant performance 🔥 and it could have been a lot more. 5 different scorers. Crowd 60,000 odd.

IMG_4882.jpeg

IMG_4883.jpeg

IMG_4884.jpeg

Dalkeith Thistle 0-4 Broxburn Athletic (0-1 HT) @ Kings Park 🌱. Scottish Gas Scottish Cup 🏆 R1. 7.45pm. Huge Friday night support out for this televised 📺 tie. The visitors ahead early on but they were made to work for it with 3 late goals sealing the win. Crowd 898.

IMG_4885.jpeg

IMG_4886.jpeg

IMG_4887.jpeg

IMG_4888.jpeg

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-2 Liverpool (0-1 HT) @ Molineux Stadium 🌱. 5.30pm. Premier League. The visitors ahead through Ibrahima Konate ⚽️ but gifted Wolves an equaliser ⚽️ on the hour mark. Mo Salah ⚽️ won it though from the spot. Arne Slot’s Reds go top. Crowd 31,413.

IMG_4889.jpeg

IMG_4890.jpeg

IMG_4891.jpeg

IMG_4892.jpeg

Edited by Crow

21 minutes ago, Crow said:

Benburb 0-3 Vale of Leithen (0-1 HT) @ New Tinton Park 🌱. Scottish Cup 🏆 PR2. 31.08.24. The Vale stunned the hosts with a brilliant 🤩 performance. Against the odds they withstood everything at thrown at them and were clinical at the other end sealing it late on. Crowd 147.

IMG_4856.jpeg

IMG_4857.jpeg

An actual eye-witness! This is as surprising as any result I've ever seen in football. It's not just who won and lost, it's by how much. How TF did it happen?

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

An actual eye-witness! This is as surprising as any result I've ever seen in football. It's not just who won and lost, it's by how much. How TF did it happen?

Another well known poster on here decided not to come as he thought it would be double figures 😜. TBF I didn’t really argue 😀.

I heard the Vale managers plan beforehand and he was determined to have a right go for it. Defended well and scored at great times.

I don’t think the Vale are a million miles away this season but need some more points on the board quickly or it will be Division 3 next year. 

20 hours ago, GordonS said:

Watch him @GordonS . You must have seen the rumours flying around a while back that he nicks photos off the internet and pretends he was there 😉

17 hours ago, Crow said:

Another well known poster on here decided not to come as he thought it would be double figures 😜. TBF I didn’t really argue 😀.

😂

Well known? Phew, thought you meant me for a minute!

Norwich City 1-1 Leeds Utd 

Att 26261

Found myself at this with my mates young lad who has just signed with the Norwich City Academy so can get tickets. 

Leeds a little hard done by tonight I think. Bossed the midfield. Very compact and moved the ball well. Would have been 1-1 at half time but for the Norwich keepers left upright. Talking of keepers, Gunn in goal for Norwich. Not Brian :)

Norwich 1 up with an early penalty. Leeds deserved to equalise in the second half and slightly better team overall I'd say. 

Stirling Uni 0-5 Tranent, Lowland League.

Nae pies.

A one-sided game, Tranent were just better at everything. This was the first time I'd seen them this season and if this performance is anything to go by, their league position is false. Four goals by half time killed it, pick of the bunch was the final goal which came after a long, clever dribble, though the goal direct from a corner was a rare treat too.

Linlithgow Rose are here on Sunday so I'm calling this a scouting trip.

20241002_194731~2.jpg

Athletic v Athletic at an athletics stadium. A novel event, surprisingly it didn’t sell out despite that novelty.

After an absolutely abysmal first half, Leith pulled away with a commanding second half and ended up winning 3-0. Preston were poor tonight, unusually so.

This ground is terrible, but you don’t need me to tell you that.

IMG_2977.jpeg

IMG_2980.jpeg

IMG_2981.jpeg

Leith Athletic 3-0 Preston Athletic East of Scotland League 1st division. Another who was at Meadowbank tonight. Thought Preston shaded a tight first half but second half was all Leith and they deservedly ran out 3-0 winners with help of two stonewall penalties. 

IMG_0158.jpeg

IMG_0159.jpeg

IMG_0160.jpeg

Edited by Jute

Another at the Theatre of dreams … 

Leith Athletic 3-0 Preston Athletic (0-0 HT) @ Meadowbank Stadium 🌱. EOSFL 1st Division. 8pm. Even steven at the break but the home side got on top in the 2nd half and once finally ahead from the spot went on to win comfortably and move up 6 places in the table. Crowd 125.

IMG_5012.jpeg

IMG_5013.jpeg

Muirkirk 1 Knightswood 0 HT.

I’ve had a brilliant wee trip here to Muirkirk, somewhere I’ve whizzed through a few hundred times but barely ever stopped in.

I’ll remember this game. In all the football games I’ve been to, I’ve only ever met one macaw parrot. Meet Blaze, a handsome 15 year-old winger.

Nipping into the Coach House Inn before the game with a slight degree of trepidation, I was quickly welcomed in by the locals.  That’s a great pub, I’d be well chuffed to have that as my local.

The game has zipped along at a fair lick. Each team first in their respective divisions and both playing well.

Muirkirk took a slightly fortuitous lead just before HT with a deflected shot beating the goalie.

An excellent pie has sealed the verdict: Burnside Park is great football ground.

IMG_2992.jpeg

IMG_2994.jpeg

IMG_2996.jpeg

Edinburgh University 0-4 Dunbar United East of Scotland Premier league. Comfortable win for Dunbar who looked in control from kick off with Uni rarely threatening the Dunbar goal. On this showing Uni are heading for back to back relegations. Dunbar probably should have been reduced to 10 at the end for a quite nasty high challenge on the Uni number 11 but for some reason the ref only deemed it a yellow. Home baking was excellent as always. 

IMG_0161.jpeg

IMG_0162.jpeg

IMG_0163.jpeg

Wick Academy 1-2 Formartine United 

When you're young and first realise there is a country full of football clubs many probably default to Ross County being furthest north. A wee bit of digging reveals that Elgin are the furthest north team in the SPFL. You then realise there is a while world beyond that and Wick Academy take the title of the most Northern team However since the pyramid was introduced they are only the fourth most Northern, Halkirk, Thurso and of course Orkney of the North Caley all denying Wick the crown that many think are their's. It's Wick however who take take most of the interest and why we are in the North this weekend. 

By a fluke of the fixtures this is the third time we've seen Wick in a month after their away games at Rothes and Huntly. Today we finally see them at home against Formartine who have made a 192 mile journey from Pitmidden in this regionalised league. Maybe something some of the central belt teams should remember when they've to go to Stranraer or Aberdeen. 

We stayed in Thurso last night and visited friends this morning. We arrived about two thirty to be greeted by a very pleasant person on the gate stunned that we had come all the way up from Fife to see his wee team. We were delighted to do so. 

Harmsworth Park is quite the place to watch football. It is positively encouraged that you watch the game from the comfort of your car. We didn't. After using crampons and an ice axe to get town to pitch level we found and basic yet very welcoming arena. Highland hospitality alive and well. 

All the goals are, unsurprisingly, scored going down the hill. Wick lead at half time in controversial circumstances. What looked like a clear push wasn't given and the Scorries led. Formartine rally and two late goals turns the game round and takes them down to Aberdeenshire very happy.

James Support Group were there today. A charity collecting to help bereaved families and people thinking about taking their own lives. The hosts events and meetings all over the Highland and I am more than happy to mention them. 

Wick Academy is a sight of football pilgrimage. It's not quite the end of the Earth like many people suggest but it's a long way from everywhere that isn't Brora but well worth taking the weekend to visit the Highland League's most Northern outpost.

20241005_150211.jpg

20241005_154357.jpg

20241005_154400.jpg

20241005_154621.jpg

20241005_162205(0).jpg

20241005_164732.jpg

Glos County Lge at Arnall Drive : Henbury & Rockleaze (amalgamation of 2 clubs) v Gala Wilton 2-0 att 40. Decent game,the hosts having the better of the chances - Gala just a bit lightweight up front, but we're always in the game. A step forward for both clubs : Henbury who had struggled for years and Rockleaze (once Nat West Court) who wanted to get closer to their Clifton (area in Bristol) roots.20241005_151231.thumb.jpg.88304745e950b9878ee4140082a7e5c2.jpg20241005_150535.thumb.jpg.2cad78b13d5c03a05d5e24e731fb9269.jpg