Snooker

RedWeb

I don't think Ronnie has the mentality to stick around for that long tbh, he's always been mentally quite fragile. Often saying how much he doesn't enjoy the game as much as he used to etc.

If he manages to win this one then possibly the incentive to surpass Hendry would drive him on but with players like Robertson, Selby, Trump, Murphy, Hawkins around it'll be difficult for him to do that.

Hendry winning 5 world titles in a row (36 ranking titles in total) 775 centuries and being number 1 for 8 consecutive seasons means he'll always be the best in my eyes.

I hate the man with a passion that is difficult to comprehend but he's been threatening to quit for about 10 years! He does seem mentally fragile but he keeps coming back and usually wins. That takes some doing.

I don't think Ronnie has the mentality to stick around for that long tbh, he's always been mentally quite fragile. Often saying how much he doesn't enjoy the game as much as he used to etc.

If he manages to win this one then possibly the incentive to surpass Hendry would drive him on but with players like Robertson, Selby, Trump, Murphy, Hawkins around it'll be difficult for him to do that.

Hendry winning 5 world titles in a row (36 ranking titles in total) 775 centuries and being number 1 for 8 consecutive seasons means he'll always be the best in my eyes.

I hate the man with a passion that is difficult to comprehend but he's been threatening to quit for about 10 years! He does seem mentally fragile but he keeps coming back and usually wins. That takes some doing.

Good points well made in both posts.

Agree with the argument against O'Sullivan's mental strength........If he had Hendry's mental strength & application it wouldn't even be a discussion.........that said, can you really say O'Sullivan's got "untapped potential" when he's won 5 World Championships?!

Highlighted in bold above would swing the argument in Hendry's direction for me tbh.

Good points well made in both posts.

Agree with the argument against O'Sullivan's mental strength........If he had Hendry's mental strength & application it wouldn't even be a discussion.........that said, can you really say O'Sullivan's got "untapped potential" when he's won 5 World Championships?!

Highlighted in bold above would swing the argument in Hendry's direction for me tbh.

I'm not wishing to come across as someone who doesn't like O'Sullivan, some of his snooker at times is mesmerising but as good as he is, he wasn't as cold and brutal as Hendry was at his peak.

Heard Hendry talking about the mental aspect of it at the interval of the 3rd session, how O'Sullivan had Steve Peters in with him and Hazel Irvine asked Hendry if he had something similar.

Hendry's response was along the lines of 'i never needed it, the positive attitude just came to me naturally' and I think there's where the difference is. This is IMO of course but I think Ronnie needs to be told how good he is but Hendry just knew how good he was.

I'm not wishing to come across as someone who doesn't like O'Sullivan, some of his snooker at times is mesmerising but as good as he is, he wasn't as cold and brutal as Hendry was at his peak.

Heard Hendry talking about the mental aspect of it at the interval of the 3rd session, how O'Sullivan had Steve Peters in with him and Hazel Irvine asked Hendry if he had something similar.

Hendry's response was along the lines of 'i never needed it, the positive attitude just came to me naturally' and I think there's where the difference is. This is IMO of course but I think Ronnie needs to be told how good he is but Hendry just knew how good he was.

Agree that some of his snooker is mesmerising but he lost me as a fan when he "reluctantly" potted that black for a 147 in Glasgow all those years ago.

Before that I could have seen past the, at times, seemingly self pitying "I don't enjoy the game anymore" stuff but not that.

Hendry was a machine back then........mind you.....so was Davis 10years prior!

What a massive error by Selby there!

Had O'Sullivan in all sorts of trouble and played a dreadful attempt at a snooker. Either go positive and take the blue or play the deadliest snooker ever.

I hope that doesn't come back to haunt him...

Pleasing.

Would love an O'Sullivan meltdown for old time's sake in front of his watching son. Also get it right up the 'cammon Ronnie' mouthbreathers in the audience.

Terrific from Selby. He looked like a man with a plan since this afternoon's session and he stuck to breaking up O'Sullivan's rhythm. The better and cleverer player won.

Fair play, did not think Selby would even be in the running the way things started yesterday. He was fantastic today and for whatever reason O'Sullivan lost his way. Credit to Selby for beating Robertson and O'Sullivan back to back in the long matches, can't argue with that.

Don't see O'Sullivan matching/bettering Hendry's record now. Well done Selby, some effort.

What bottle under pressure, how many players actually get better with the winning post in sight? What a clearance to win it. Balls of titanium.

Parrot seething in the studio, no idea how much he's mentioned that 'IMO the greatest player to have played the game'.

Delighted for Selby, got his autograph at the Scottish open years ago when he was around 18 and followed his career closely since then.

Fantastic clearance to win. How he kept it together is beyond me, my heart was racing just watching from home.

On the O'Sullivan v Hendry debate, one area where O'Sullivan wins by a mile is longevity at or near top of the game. Hendry really only had 10/11 years right at the top, whereas for O'Sullivan it has been almost 20 and he's still there. But nothing compares to Hendry when he was at his mid 90s best.

Fantastic clearance to win. How he kept it together is beyond me, my heart was racing just watching from home.

On the O'Sullivan v Hendry debate, one area where O'Sullivan wins by a mile is longevity at or near top of the game. Hendry really only had 10/11 years right at the top, whereas for O'Sullivan it has been almost 20 and he's still there. But nothing compares to Hendry when he was at his mid 90s best.

Aye but for those 10/11 years Hendry was unquestionably the best in the world. O'Sullivan has never dominated in the way Hendry did.