Israel And The Palestinians (now with added Iran/Lebanon)

xbl

22 minutes ago, btb said:

Whilst true it remains the case that Western governments remain the only hope for ordinary Palestinians.

If that’s true, and it undoubtedly is, then they’re well and truly fucked.

1 hour ago, Brother Blades said:

Does anyone have (to hand) figures on the immigration of Jewish people to Israel? I understand there is a decent “re-settlement” package on offer from the Israeli government? Just wondering if these figures are available & whether the trend was upwards or downwards? @TxRover?

Given the revocation significant elements of the Right of Return Laws since 2020, it seems unlikely. I found this link, which lets you play around with some data:

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/ISR/israel/net-migration#:~:text=The current net migration rate,a 1.46% decline from 2020.

1 hour ago, btb said:

Whilst true it remains the case that Western governments remain the only hope for ordinary Palestinians.

Fair comment.

I just hope the public pronouncements are very different to the discussions in private.

The continuing bombardment of Gaza and the West Bank will almost certainly put an end to any rapprochement between Israel and Saudi Arabia, Morocco, some Gulf countries and possibly Turkey, which was probably the primary intention of Hamas. 

I cannot remember the last time I felt so down about the state of affairs on this planet. Head in the sand attitude towards climate change, which has finally impacted on Scotland this past week, and what is inevitably going to ratchet up in Gaza in the coming few weeks. 

We are supposed to be an intelligent species. 

24 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I cannot remember the last time I felt so down about the state of affairs on this planet. Head in the sand attitude towards climate change, which has finally impacted on Scotland this past week, and what is inevitably going to ratchet up in Gaza in the coming few weeks. 

We are the most intelligent.

We are also the least intelligent.

21 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I was thinking along similar lines the other day. Of all the human beings I've ever crossed paths with in life, including many I disliked and some who I genuinely thought were very unpleasant people, I can't imagine any of them being capable of making the decision to drop explosives on other innocent human beings. 

It's like the people who lead us are a different species altogether, it's such an unhuman thing to do.

I can imagine on the battlefield, if you see some of your mates being blown apart it may suddenly become easier to do the same to the other side. But to sit from afar and give orders to reduce residential areas to rubble must take something far beyond normal human psychopathy 

15 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

to sit from afar and give orders to run amok like Thomas Hamilton slaughtering fellow human beings or reduce residential areas to rubble must take something far beyond normal human psychopathy 

I added the bit you forgot 

On 21/10/2023 at 19:39, Granny Danger said:

There’s nasty stuff happening all over the place as a result of the blowback; particularly in the USA.  Major tech companies pulling out of a conference because the conference organiser had the temerity to criticise Israel’s actions, people having job offers withdrawn for the same reasons, students being threatened by their colleges for signing letters of support for Palestine.

The pro-Zionist lobby is well organised and not afraid to use their influence across all sectors of society, though if you point this out you may be accused of indulging in antisemitic tropes.

The Canarian sun must be addling your brain because you've just used the biggest antisemitic trope out there.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

33 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I was thinking along similar lines the other day. Of all the human beings I've ever crossed paths with in life, including many I disliked and some who I genuinely thought were very unpleasant people, I can't imagine any of them being capable of making the decision to drop explosives on other innocent human beings. .......

...........I can imagine on the battlefield, if you see some of your mates being blown apart it may suddenly become easier to do the same to the other side. But to sit from afar and give orders to reduce residential areas to rubble must take something far beyond normal human psychopathy 

For context, it's not very difficult to find Arabs being referred to as rodents in the Knesset, the parliament of Israel.

Edited by beefybake

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

The continuing bombardment of Gaza and the West Bank will almost certainly put an end to any rapprochement between Israel and Saudi Arabia, Morocco, some Gulf countries and possibly Turkey, which was probably the primary intention of Hamas. 

A lot of that rapprochement was to do with common enemy - especially Iran.  If Hamas is still perceived as an  Iranian proxy, these other countries will still side with Israel, albeit more quietly.

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

I was thinking along similar lines the other day. Of all the human beings I've ever crossed paths with in life, including many I disliked and some who I genuinely thought were very unpleasant people, I can't imagine any of them being capable of making the decision to drop explosives on other innocent human beings. 

It's like the people who lead us are a different species altogether, it's such an unhuman thing to do.

I can imagine on the battlefield, if you see some of your mates being blown apart it may suddenly become easier to do the same to the other side. But to sit from afar and give orders to reduce residential areas to rubble must take something far beyond normal human psychopathy 

Given conscription to the IDF is mandatory in Israel (men must serve at least 32 months, women 24 months) then that mentality is quite possibly not as limited as you may think.

Netanyahu served 6 years between 1967 and 1973 as a member of Sayeret Matkal - the Israeli equivalent of the SAS. He reached the rank of captain and served in the War of Attrition and the Yom Kippur War.

It still doesnt excuse him for being an absolutely vile individual.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

We're probably currently in the most peaceful, technologically progressive, period of human history. The speed at which technology is progressing is unreal, while a handful of wars at the same time is nothing.  

8 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Purely out of interest, what were the general public attitudes in the UK towards the carpet bombing of Dresden and other German cities? 

I'm sure if you could be bothered to do some research you would find out. It would be a more productive use of your time than trolling this thread.

Hamas doesn't have an airforce or air defence system, or tanks or artillery for that matter. Gaza is not a major transport hub for sending munitions and soldiers to another battlefront. Comparing Dresden to Gaza doesn't make any sense. 

16 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Purely out of interest, what were the general public attitudes in the UK towards the carpet bombing of Dresden and other German cities? 

By that stage the UK public were totally fed up of Germany.  It was incredibly obvious Germany had lost the war, a war they started with the deliberate intention of killing millions of people and yet they continued, even invading their former ally Hungary to round up 400,000 Jews and have them sent to the gas chambers.

Slightly bigger scale to what is happening just now.