The Falkirk FC Thread

I'm ready to be shot down for this bold statement, but am I alone in thinking Craig Sibbald is over-rated? I'm not saying he doesn't have great potential, but i think with his current ability he shouldn't be in the starting 11. His passing is shamoblic at times and he doesn't offer any defensive qualities (I know he is a winger but there should be some degree of protection for the left back). Don't get me wrong, his movement and skill at times is tremendous, but some aspects of his game that he still needs to develop let him down. I feel he would be far better used as an impact sub.

I have a feeling that you may be proved correct when the team for the semi is announced.

Under normal circumstances the laddie wouldn't be anywhere near the first team, or at least only on an occasional basis. He has fantastic potential but I think we're asking too much of him at the moment.

I have a feeling that you may be proved correct when the team for the semi is announced.

Under normal circumstances the laddie wouldn't be anywhere near the first team, or at least only on an occasional basis. He has fantastic potential but I think we're asking too much of him at the moment.

He had a poor game on Saturday, his worst to date. But he's very evidently extremly tallented for his age. We'll probably have to accept some occasional poor performances for the next while but the experiance will be invaluable to him. Just wait and see what he's like in 6 months time, it's a risk playing just now but one well worth taking.

If we really wante to we could bid 200k, if it was beneficial and a future investment, bit like I said it will never happen, which is a shame, cause they sound cracking prospects.

£200k for the last year & a half of Compton's contact would do fine, thank you. :rolleyes::lol::lol::lol:

With all the youngsters coming through the main one i feel sorry for is Blair Alston, think he`s a cracking midfield player.

He's definitely got good skill on him but his positional sense is shocking. Especially any time he's asked to play wide in midfield he seems to spend most of his time anywhere but the position he's supposed to be playing and often leaves the full-back exposed.

I think it's going to be quite tough for him to break into our team at the moment. I think his strongest position is probably similar to Higginbotham playing in between the midfield and strikers rather than an out and out midfielder.

In the 'Dream Team' thread, Nizzy took a guess that around 60% of Farid's goals would have been assisted by Duffie. So I sat and worked out every assist for every Farid goal, and it turns out that Duffie has contributed to 5 of 21 goals that Farid has scored. Just shy of 25%. Anyway, as I've had nothing better to do, I sat and worked out every single assist for every goal we've scored this season. So below, there's a list of every game, result, goal and assist from this season so far. The assists are obviously the names that are in brackets and italics, next to the name of the player who's goal they directly assisted.

v Brechin (CC) | W 2-1 | Goals: Bennett (Dods) & Dods (Millar)

v Albion Rovers (LC) | W 4-2 | Goals: Farid (Sibbald), Jay Fulton (Farid), Farid (Higginbotham) & Higginbotham (Jay Fulton)

v Raith Rovers | L 0-1 |

v Dundee (CC) | W 1-0 | Goals: Farid (Sibbald)

v Partick Thistle | W 2-1 | Goals: Farid (Murdoch) & Higginbotham (Wallace)

v Ayr United | D 2-2 | Goals: Higginbotham (Farid) & Farid (Duffie)

v Stenhousemuir (LC) | W 3-1 | Goals: Own Goal (Higginbotham), Sibbald (Scobbie), Farid (Higginbotham)

v Ross County | D 1-1 | Goals: Farid (Dale Fulton)

v East Fife (CC) | W 4-1 | Goals: Millar (Higginbotham), Higginbotham (Direct FK), Sibbald (Weatherston) & Higginbotham (Alston)

v Livingston | D 1-1 | Goals: Millar (Penalty)

v Dundee | W 2-1 | Goals: Weatherston (Alston) & Farid (Duffie)

v Rangers (LC) | W 3-2 | Goals: Farid (Sibbald), Farid (Duffie) & Millar (Direct FK)

v Greenock Morton | L 2-3 | Goals: Weatherston (Higginbotham) & Alston (Weatherston)

v Hamilton | W 1-0 | Goals: Farid (Duffie)

v Annan Athletic (CC) | W 3-0 | Goals: Millar (Weatherston), Farid (Weatherston) & Farid (Scobbie)

v Queen of the South | W 1-0 | Goals: Dods (Millar)

v Partick Thistle | D 2-2 | Goals: Farid (Alston) & Higginbotham (Direct FK)

v Dundee United (LC) | D 2-2 (Won on Pens) | Goals: Farid (Dale Fulton) & Graham (Farid)

v Raith Rovers | W 2-0 | Goals: Alston (Higginbotham) & Dods (Graham)

v Livingston | W 4-3 | Goals: Farid (Higginbotham), Wallace (Bennett), Own Goal (Weatherston) & Weatherston (Higginbotham)

v Ross County | L 1-3 | Goals: Wallace (Farid)

v Dundee | L 2-4 | Goals: Own Goal (Higginbotham) & Jay Fulton (No direct assist)

v Greenock Morton | W 1-0 | Goals: Farid (Weatherston)

v Hamilton | D 0-0 |

v Queen of the South | W 5-1 | Goals: Sibbald (Jay Fulton), Farid (Millar), Sibbald (Higginbotham), Higginbotham (Farid) & Farid (Weatherston)

v Ross County | D 1-1 | Goals: Duffie (Higginbotham)

v Livingston | W 2-1 | Goals: Farid (Weatherston) & Higginbotham (Direct FK)

v East Fife (SC) | W 2-0 | Goals: Dods (Millar) & Farid (Duffie)

v Ayr United | D 0-0 |

As a wee summary, the goals currently stand at:

Farid El Alagui (21), Kallum Higginbotham (8 ), Mark Millar (4), Craig Sibbald (4), Darren Dods (4), David Weatherston (3), OWN GOAL (3), Murray Wallace (2), Jay Fulton (2), Blair Alston (2), Rhys Bennett (1), Ally Graham (1), Kieran Duffie (1).

The assists:

Kallum Higginbotham (11), David Weatherston (8 ), Farid El Alagui (5), Keiran Duffie (5), Mark Millar (4), Blair Alston (3), Craig Sibbald (3), Dale Fulton (2), Jay Fulton (2), Tam Scobbie (2), Ally Graham (1), Darren Dods (1), Rhys Bennett (1), Murray Wallace (1), Stewart Murdoch (1). We've also scored 4 goals direct from a FK (2 were won by Farid - I think, 1 by Sibbald, but the other I'm unsure of - East Fife away), 1 penalty (Won by Farid), and 1 goal (by Jay Fulton) which had no direct assist. Farid also won us another penalty, but Millar missed it (QOTS at home).

13 different goalscorers (including 'OWN GOAL') & 15 different players have provided assists - that there is the most impressive stat IMO.

Might as well just throw some other stats out there that can be taken from the above whilst I'm here:

Wins: 18 Draws: 7 Losses: 4

Grounds visited: 14 Grounds scored at: 13 Grounds not scored at: 1 (Stark's Park)

Teams played: 16 Teams beaten: 14 Teams not beaten: 2 (Ayr United (2 draws) & Ross County (2 draws & 1 defeat)

Longest unbeaten run: 9

Longest run without a win: 2

Current unbeaten run: 7

Goals scored: 56

Goals conceded: 34

Number of games we've failed to score in: 3 (from 29 played)

Average number of goals scored per game: 1.93

Average number of goals conceded per game: 1.17

Number of different players used: 21 **Meaning only 6 players - McGovern, Kingsley, Dick, Ryan Millar, Brisbane & White have failed to either score, or provide an assist this season. Although of course, McGovern is a 'keeper, Dick/Brisbane/White have only made 1 sub appearence each, and the other 2 have started about 5 games between them. So really, every regular/semi-regular (outfield) player has directly contributed to us scoring a goal this season.**

Oh aye, and just a wee reminder :P :

League Position: 2nd (3 points behind Ross County) Challenge Cup: Final (v Hamilton) League Cup: Semi Final (v Celtic) Scottish Cup: 5th Round (v Ayr United)

The stats make for great reading IMO. 8) Feel free to correct any mistakes, I've spent that long looking at names and figures that I've maybe made some mistakes somewhere.

In the 'Dream Team' thread, Nizzy took a guess that around 60% of Farid's goals would have been assisted by Duffie. So I sat and worked out every assist for every Farid goal, and it turns out that Duffie has contributed to 5 of 21 goals that Farid has scored. Just shy of 25%. Anyway, as I've had nothing better to do, I sat and worked out every single assist for every goal we've scored this season. So below, there's a list of every game, result, goal and assist from this season so far. The assists are obviously the names that are in brackets and italics, next to the name of the player who's goal they directly assisted.

v Brechin (CC) | W 2-1 | Goals: Bennett (Dods) & Dods (Millar)

v Albion Rovers (LC) | W 4-2 | Goals: Farid (Sibbald), Jay Fulton (Farid), Farid (Higginbotham) & Higginbotham (Jay Fulton)

v Raith Rovers | L 0-1 |

v Dundee (CC) | W 1-0 | Goals: Farid (Sibbald)

v Partick Thistle | W 2-1 | Goals: Farid (Murdoch) & Higginbotham (Wallace)

v Ayr United | D 2-2 | Goals: Higginbotham (Farid) & Farid (Duffie)

v Stenhousemuir (LC) | W 3-1 | Goals: Own Goal (Higginbotham), Sibbald (Scobbie), Farid (Higginbotham)

v Ross County | D 1-1 | Goals: Farid (Dale Fulton)

v East Fife (CC) | W 4-1 | Goals: Millar (Higginbotham), Higginbotham (Direct FK), Sibbald (Weatherston) & Higginbotham (Alston)

v Livingston | D 1-1 | Goals: Millar (Penalty)

v Dundee | W 2-1 | Goals: Weatherston (Alston) & Farid (Duffie)

v Rangers (LC) | W 3-2 | Goals: Farid (Sibbald), Farid (Duffie) & Millar (Direct FK)

v Greenock Morton | L 2-3 | Goals: Weatherston (Higginbotham) & Alston (Weatherston)

v Hamilton | W 1-0 | Goals: Farid (Duffie)

v Annan Athletic (CC) | W 3-0 | Goals: Millar (Weatherston), Farid (Weatherston) & Farid (Scobbie)

v Queen of the South | W 1-0 | Goals: Dods (Millar)

v Partick Thistle | D 2-2 | Goals: Farid (Alston) & Higginbotham (Direct FK)

v Dundee United (LC) | D 2-2 (Won on Pens) | Goals: Farid (Dale Fulton) & Graham (Farid)

v Raith Rovers | W 2-0 | Goals: Alston (Higginbotham) & Dods (Graham)

v Livingston | W 4-3 | Goals: Farid (Higginbotham), Wallace (Bennett), Own Goal (Weatherston) & Weatherston (Higginbotham)

v Ross County | L 1-3 | Goals: Wallace (Farid)

v Dundee | L 2-4 | Goals: Own Goal (Higginbotham) & Jay Fulton (No direct assist)

v Greenock Morton | W 1-0 | Goals: Farid (Weatherston)

v Hamilton | D 0-0 |

v Queen of the South | W 5-1 | Goals: Sibbald (Jay Fulton), Farid (Millar), Sibbald (Higginbotham), Higginbotham (Farid) & Farid (Weatherston)

v Ross County | D 1-1 | Goals: Duffie (Higginbotham)

v Livingston | W 2-1 | Goals: Farid (Weatherston) & Higginbotham (Direct FK)

v East Fife (SC) | W 2-0 | Goals: Dods (Millar) & Farid (Duffie)

v Ayr United | D 0-0 |

As a wee summary, the goals currently stand at:

Farid El Alagui (21), Kallum Higginbotham (8 ), Mark Millar (4), Craig Sibbald (4), Darren Dods (4), David Weatherston (3), OWN GOAL (3), Murray Wallace (2), Jay Fulton (2), Blair Alston (2), Rhys Bennett (1), Ally Graham (1), Kieran Duffie (1).

The assists:

Kallum Higginbotham (11), David Weatherston (8 ), Farid El Alagui (5), Keiran Duffie (5), Mark Millar (4), Blair Alston (3), Craig Sibbald (3), Dale Fulton (2), Jay Fulton (2), Tam Scobbie (2), Ally Graham (1), Darren Dods (1), Rhys Bennett (1), Murray Wallace (1), Stewart Murdoch (1). We've also scored 4 goals direct from a FK (2 were won by Farid - I think, 1 by Sibbald, but the other I'm unsure of - East Fife away), 1 penalty (Won by Farid), and 1 goal (by Jay Fulton) which had no direct assist. Farid also won us another penalty, but Millar missed it (QOTS at home).

13 different goalscorers (including 'OWN GOAL') & 15 different players have provided assists - that there is the most impressive stat IMO.

Might as well just throw some other stats out there that can be taken from the above whilst I'm here:

Wins: 18 Draws: 7 Losses: 4

Grounds visited: 14 Grounds scored at: 13 Grounds not scored at: 1 (Stark's Park)

Teams played: 16 Teams beaten: 14 Teams not beaten: 2 (Ayr United (2 draws) & Ross County (2 draws & 1 defeat)

Longest unbeaten run: 9

Longest run without a win: 2

Current unbeaten run: 7

Goals scored: 56

Goals conceded: 34

Number of games we've failed to score in: 3 (from 29 played)

Average number of goals scored per game: 1.93

Average number of goals conceded per game: 1.17

Number of different players used: 21 **Meaning only 6 players - McGovern, Kingsley, Dick, Ryan Millar, Brisbane & White have failed to either score, or provide an assist this season. Although of course, McGovern is a 'keeper, Dick/Brisbane/White have only made 1 sub appearence each, and the other 2 have started about 5 games between them. So really, every regular/semi-regular (outfield) player has directly contributed to us scoring a goal this season.**

Oh aye, and just a wee reminder :P :

League Position: 2nd (3 points behind Ross County) Challenge Cup: Final (v Hamilton) League Cup: Semi Final (v Celtic) Scottish Cup: 5th Round (v Ayr United)

The stats make for great reading IMO. 8) Feel free to correct any mistakes, I've spent that long looking at names and figures that I've maybe made some mistakes somewhere.

Nizzy - telt! :P

Nizzy - telt! :P

Whit, the great Nizzy wrong. No way

To be fair, the above post wasn't really directed at Nizzy. :P It just stemmed from his original post about Duffie's assists, and I was intrigued as to how many assists everyone else had too. Perhaps I got carried away, :lol:

Whit, the great Nizzy wrong. No way

:rolleyes:

Makes for interesting reading and shows the contribution the whole team are making to Falkirk's successful season. Farid will, of course, be highlighted as the main man given his goal return, but you're far from the one-man team others have painted you as elsewhere. Nice work, Kris.

Higgy is the man. Hopefully other players continue to gain attention to increase our chances of keeping him. I've always been a huge fan but good to see he's proving his critics wrong. It was clear to see last year that he was better in an advanced role but he was repeatedly misused.

Higgy is the man. Hopefully other players continue to gain attention to increase our chances of keeping him. I've always been a huge fan but good to see he's proving his critics wrong. It was clear to see last year that he was better in an advanced role but he was repeatedly misused.

Agreed.

I said a couple of times last season that his best games were in a central role (Against Hearts and Stirling, though he did have a good game on the wing against Dunfermline) and we should continue to use him there. It's been good to see Pressley recognise this and silence Higgy's many and vociferous critics. All he's missing really is the final ball, but Higgy's still got time to learn.

In terms of chances of keeping him, I don't think they're too great. We've had so many scouts at games and even when he's having a poor game, Higginbotham still impresses with vast amounts of skill and trickery. It may be the same situation that led to us getting him in the first place, a scout goes to watch one player (in our case it was Chris Dagnall) and comes away impressed by another.

Agreed.

I said a couple of times last season that his best games were in a central role (Against Hearts and Stirling, though he did have a good game on the wing against Dunfermline) and we should continue to use him there. It's been good to see Pressley recognise this and silence Higgy's many and vociferous critics. All he's missing really is the final ball, but Higgy's still got time to learn.

In terms of chances of keeping him, I don't think they're too great. We've had so many scouts at games and even when he's having a poor game, Higginbotham still impresses with vast amounts of skill and trickery. It may be the same situation that led to us getting him in the first place, a scout goes to watch one player (in our case it was Chris Dagnall) and comes away impressed by another.

His workrate is shit-hot.

Cracking wee player, with Flynn and Compton away the focus is now on him and h=is doing pretty well.

All he's missing really is the final ball, but Higgy's still got time to learn.

See, folk say this but he has ELEVEN assists already this season. That's mental, I can't see there being many other players (if any) in Scotland with that many assists. Of course he doesn't manage to make that killer pass every time he tries it but does any footballer?

I think that you could be right unfortunately. If he goes it'll be with my best wishes as he's been a cracking player for us and I've always been a big fan. Love players who try and create in that advanced role rather than simply looking for a simple ball and shirking responsibility (we've had far too many of these over the past few years).

See, folk say this but he has ELEVEN assists already this season. That's mental, I can't see there being many other players (if any) in Scotland with that many assists. Of course he doesn't manage to make that killer pass every time he tries it but does any footballer?

Just think how many he would have if all his attempted through balls came up trumps wink.gif

We're getting a good return from him, but I think he still wastes too many passes. Whilst a number of those are down to Higgy being a step ahead of team-mates, a significant number come down to poor crossing or poor weighting of a pass.

However, I agree with you that I'd rather have Higginbotham taking risks than a Burton O'Nonymous type character who dither looking for the simple ball.

v Queen of the South | W 5-1 | Goals: Sibbald (Jay Fulton),

Mmm, without wishing to write off your work which is interesting, crediting anyone with an assist for that goal is just pointless. Did he make the final pass to Sibbald before he scored? Presumably, or you wouldn't have put it there though I had it in my head that one of our players gave it directly to him. However, Sibbald then ran from near halfway, beat about three opponents and placed it in the corner from outside the box. It's not what I would call an "assist" even if it is what ice hockey or fantasy football defines one as.

Mmm, without wishing to write off your work which is interesting, crediting anyone with an assist for that goal is just pointless. Did he make the final pass to Sibbald before he scored?

Well, now that you've mentioned it...I wouldn't credit Murdoch with an assist against us either. Sure, his run led to the goal, but the ball fell to Farid in the box once Kinniburgh had challenged Murdoch - there was no intentional pass.

Mmm, without wishing to write off your work which is interesting, crediting anyone with an assist for that goal is just pointless. Did he make the final pass to Sibbald before he scored? Presumably, or you wouldn't have put it there though I had it in my head that one of our players gave it directly to him. However, Sibbald then ran from near halfway, beat about three opponents and placed it in the corner from outside the box. It's not what I would call an "assist" even if it is what ice hockey or fantasy football defines one as.

There is 2 or 3 (at the very most) in my list that you could debate, this being one of them. I watched the highlights (well, the lead up to the goals) of every game in my list whilst putting the figures together, and with this one I see it as an assist from Fulton. It's maybe stretching it a wee bit. There is about 4/5 seconds between Sibbald receiving the ball and getting his shot away, so it's up to everyone else's interpretation of whether they'd count the initial pass as an assist or not.

I should probably have mentioned in the OP about the 2 or 3 goals that are debatable. Will edit that in a little later on to avoid any further confusion. :)