P&B Ranks: The Top 42 Video Games of All-Time

Miguel Sanchez

I had Kick off 2 instead in my young days. 
Prepared to be cyberstalked by Wings Over Scotland [emoji1]

He was still writing articles about how shit Kick Off was and trying to start a fight with Dino Dini right up until he discovered politics.

I've played SWOS on an emulator since lockdown and it is so hilariously fast paced compared to anything current. I don't think I'll ever realistically play it for more than an hour every few years when I get nostalgic but it was so fucking good and far ahead of everything else football game wise at the time, well worthy of its place in my top ten. 

The single player career did get too easy (I had a career with QP where by the time I got to the Premier my front three of Jorgen Petterson, Patrice Loko and Sonny Anderson were combining for 150 goals a season) but there were a few of us at school who all played, and quite a few Saturdays at that time involved playing football for a couple of hours then back to someone's for a SWOS tournament. 

What a game. 

1 hour ago, Stormzy said:

Last few games have been scandalous. Didn't we just have this one two games ago? 

Scandalous that they weren't higher IMO

Yassss my third choice. The last true great Final Fantasy.
It sure was! The music, setting, story and character build are terrific.
The sphere system is pretty cool also.
But the battle system is tremendous. The last true turn based classic. It just works so well.

We needed more Shoopuff though!

47 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

How many of them are there? 

Is their likely to be more to come?

To be honest, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 are all fairly regularly regarded as amongst the greatest games ever made. 6 is the absolute pinnacle of 16-bit RPGs along with Chrono Trigger. I don't think we'll see any more in this list though.

35 minutes ago, Gaz said:

To be honest, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 are all fairly regularly regarded as amongst the greatest games ever made. 6 is the absolute pinnacle of 16-bit RPGs along with Chrono Trigger. I don't think we'll see any more in this list though.

Sounds like the fast and the furious. 

1 minute ago, GNU_Linux said:

My only FF experience to date thus far was getting the DVD of the film for one Christmas which I don't ever recall watching. Film is regarded as a bit pish I'm sure.

There are two films - The Spirits Within, which is a bit shite, and Advent Children, which is a continuation of the story of FF7, and isn't too bad.

Yeah, I loved FFX as well. I would love it if FF games would go back to the turn based combat. I remember playing a game on the 360, Lost Odyssey I think it was called, that was basically a Final Fantasy game in all but name that had excellent turn based combat, then I've barely seen anything since. I feel it needs to come back.

4 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, I loved FFX as well. I would love it if FF games would go back to the turn based combat. I remember playing a game on the 360, Lost Odyssey I think it was called, that was basically a Final Fantasy game in all but name that had excellent turn based combat, then I've barely seen anything since. I feel it needs to come back.

I've been meaning to go back and finish Lost Odyssey for about 10 years. 

Persona 5 has a turn based battle system that's really good.