The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2022

Week 14 update

Three deaths this week and a timely reminder that I shouldn't be smug about weeks when there's none. First up is the actor Estelle Harris: Actress Estelle Harris, who famously played George Costanza's mother on Seinfeld, passes away at 93  | Daily Mail Online

George's maw in Seinfeld or Mrs. Potato Head. How you think of her is quite the generational gap.

She was born in April 1928 in Manhattan to Polish immigrants who owned a candy store. She grew up in a Pittsburgh suburb, but eventually moved back to the city and married her husband Sy Harris. 

The pair had three children together: Eric, Glen and Taryn.

She got her start on Looking Up and then Once Upon a Time in America, before getting a three-episode deal on Night Court, according to People.

The New York City native appeared in 27 episodes of Seinfeld between 1992 and 1998, playing a character that ironically shared the same name as her. 

When asked about her favorite episode of the hit series, the feisty star gave a rather unexpected answer: 'Oh, the masturbation,' she simply stated. 'The contest.'

She also famously played Mrs. Potato Head in Toy Story 2, 3, and 4. Toy Story 4 was her last title. 

She had more than 100 film titles in her resume over her 45-year career and became known as a maternal figure, often playing the mom on shows. 

'I'm the universal mother,' she told the Chicago Tribune in 1995. 'Black people, Asians, WASPs, Italians, Jews - they all say: "Oh, you're just like my mom." That makes me feel good.' 

Harris died at 93, so she's worth 32 Base Points. She was a Solo Shot for @JustOneCornetto so it's 82 points total.

============

Second death this week was the country singer C.W. McCall: CW McCall dead at 93: Convoy country singer passes away after fight with cancer, son confirms (thesun.co.uk)

McCall rose to fame as a country music star with songs about driving 18-wheelers and big-rigs, including 1976 number one hit "Convoy."

His real name was Bill Fries and he was an ad executive turned singer.

He created the character of C.W. McCall, a truck driver in a series of commercials for a Midwestern bread company.

The goal wasn't to create an alter-ego but to sell bread using catchy, country-sounding jingles.

McCall took on this persona and began recording music about long-haul trucking, even establishing his own CB radio lingo truckers picked up and still use today.

He was well known in the 70's for his hit country records: Old Home Filler-Up and Keep On-a-Truckin’ Cafe, Wolf Creek Pass, and most famous of all, Convoy, which became a number one pop and country hit in 1976.

The novelty hit "Convoy" was a type of spoken-word storytelling that topped bother the country and pop charts, according to Rolling Stone.

You've all heard the song. Convooooooooyyyyyyyyyyyy. McCall died at 93 so he's also worth 32 Base Points, with a Deadly Duo bonus for @Fuctifano and @Willie adie taking that up to 57 points.

============

It's an always unpleasant fact that the best Dead Pool picks are often the worst stories. Third death this week is singer Tom Parker: The Wanted singer Tom Parker dies from brain cancer aged 33 | Pop and rock | The Guardian

Tom Parker, a singer with the Wanted, has died aged 33 from brain cancer.

His wife, Kelsey, said on Instagram: “It is with the heaviest of hearts that we confirm Tom passed away peacefully earlier today with all of his family by his side. Our hearts are broken, Tom was the centre of our world and we can’t imagine life without his infectious smile and energetic presence.”

She said she and Parker’s family were “truly thankful for the outpouring of love and support” he had received after the diagnosis of an inoperable brain tumour in October 2020.

He is also survived by the couple’s two children, Aurelia, two, and Bodhi, one.

Parker was one of five endearingly high-energy members of the Wanted, who became one of the most popular British boybands in a generation. Their debut 2010 single, the anthemic All Time Low, reached No 1, as did Glad You Came in 2012.

Before going on hiatus in 2014, they had six other UK Top Five songs, including the dance-pop hits Walks Like Rihanna, Chasing the Sun and Lightning, all of which brought a boisterous British personality to the EDM-laced pop of the era.

The impact he made on the awareness of brain cancer seems to have been significant: Tom Parker: 'Incredible' The Wanted singer praised by cancer charities - BBC News

As much as we take delight in the Dead Pool threads about people we don't know dying, it's a cruel irony that the biggest scores come from sudden or tragic situations. A man in his early thirties with two young children suddenly being diagnosed with brain cancer and dying a year and a half later is a story which probably resonates for a lot of P&B posters, so as much as this thread is a bit of morbid fun I'd like to think something positive can come from something like this. Have a read about him, take care of yourselves, take care of your families.

Parker died at 33, so he's worth 92 Base Points for @Arch Stanton, @gkneil, @Indale Winton, @jimbaxters, @lichtgilphead, @Moomintroll, @pawpar, @psv_killie, @pub car king, @Savage Henry, @sleazy, @Sweaty Morph and @thistledo.

A Vice-Captain bonus gives 138 points for @Desp and @scottsdad.

A Captain bonus gives double points and 184 points for @Bishop Briggs, @chomp my root, @peasy23, @The Master and @weirdcal.

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. Bishop Briggs 383
2. chomp my root 328
3. Ned Nederlander 313
4. JustOneCornetto 311
5. Indale Winton 275
6. Arbroathlegend36-0 255
7. Arch Stanton 227
8. gkneil, Savage Henry 196
10. Desp 188
11. pawpar, Sweaty Morph 187
13. Mathematics, peasy23, The Master, weirdcal 184
17. Blootoon87 151

18. sparky88, The_Craig 144
20. scottsdad 138
21. cdhafc1874 130
22. Moomintroll 123

23. Bully Wee Villa, Savage Henry 104
25. jimbaxters, lichtgilphead, psv_killie, pub car king, sleazy, thistledo 92
31. Florentine_Pogen 85
32. Fuctifano, Willie adie 57
34. senorsoupe 50
35. Bert Raccoon, speckled tangerine, statts1976uk, ThomCat 39
39. Hamish's Passenger, Moomintroll, The DA 31

42. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mup1IJllKHs0a47J8G6IXUkvShJrV28Iuc-Kkn7RKuo/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

3 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Week 14 update

Three deaths this week and a timely reminder that I shouldn't be smug about weeks when there's none. First up is the actor Estelle Harris: Actress Estelle Harris, who famously played George Costanza's mother on Seinfeld, passes away at 93  | Daily Mail Online

George's maw in Seinfeld or Mrs. Potato Head. How you think of her is quite the generational gap.

Harris died at 93, so she's worth 32 Base Points. She was a Solo Shot for @JustOneCornetto so it's 82 points total.

============

Second death this week was the country singer C.W. McCall: CW McCall dead at 93: Convoy country singer passes away after fight with cancer, son confirms (thesun.co.uk)

You've all heard the song. Convooooooooyyyyyyyyyyyy. McCall died at 93 so he's also worth 32 Base Points, with a Deadly Duo bonus for @Fuctifano and @Willie adie taking that up to 57 points.

============

It's an always unpleasant fact that the best Dead Pool picks are often the worst stories. Third death this week is singer Tom Parker: The Wanted singer Tom Parker dies from brain cancer aged 33 | Pop and rock | The Guardian

The impact he made on the awareness of brain cancer seems to have been significant: Tom Parker: 'Incredible' The Wanted singer praised by cancer charities - BBC News

As much as we take delight in the Dead Pool threads about people we don't know dying, it's a cruel irony that the biggest scores come from sudden or tragic situations. A man in his early thirties with two young children suddenly being diagnosed with brain cancer and dying a year and a half later is a story which probably resonates for a lot of P&B posters, so as much as this thread is a bit of morbid fun I'd like to think something positive can come from something like this. Have a read about him, take care of yourselves, take care of your families.

Parker died at 33, so he's worth 92 Base Points for @Arch Stanton, @gkneil, @Indale Winton, @jimbaxters, @Moomintroll, @pawpar, @psv_killie, @pub car king, @Savage Henry, @sleazy, @Sweaty Morph and @thistledo.

A Vice-Captain bonus gives 138 points for @Desp and @scottsdad.

A Captain bonus gives double points and 184 points for @Bishop Briggs, @chomp my root, @peasy23, @The Master and @weirdcal.

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. Bishop Briggs 383
2. chomp my root 328
3. Ned Nederlander 313
4. JustOneCornetto 311
5. Indale Winton 275
6. Arbroathlegend36-0 255
7. Arch Stanton 227
8. gkneil, Savage Henry 196
10. Desp 188
11. pawpar, Sweaty Morph 187
13. Mathematics, peasy23, The Master, weirdcal 184
17. Blootoon87 151

18. sparky88, The_Craig 144
20. scottsdad 138
21. cdhafc1874 130
22. Moomintroll 123

23. Bully Wee Villa, Savage Henry 104
25. jimbaxters, lichtgilphead, psv_killie, pub car king, sleazy, thistledo 92
31. Florentine_Pogen 85
32. Fuctifano, Willie adie 57
34. senorsoupe 50
35. Bert Raccoon, speckled tangerine, statts1976uk, ThomCat 39
39. Hamish's Passenger, Moomintroll, The DA 31

42. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mup1IJllKHs0a47J8G6IXUkvShJrV28Iuc-Kkn7RKuo/edit?usp=sharing

It's not often that I feel bad about getting points, but this is one of the times. Life is utterly shite sometimes & can only hope his wife and kids are able to focus on the happier memories.

@Miguel Sanchez I'm disappointed not to get a mention on this week's list of pointscorers, but at least I've been awarded the points for Tom Parker.

Going back to January's deaths, I seem to recall that a IMDb page has previously been accepted as evidence of whether someone was famous. Rabbi Israel S Dresner's IMDb page has now been updated with news of his death...

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4527840/

1 hour ago, lichtgilphead said:

@Miguel Sanchez I'm disappointed not to get a mention on this week's list of pointscorers, but at least I've been awarded the points for Tom Parker.

Going back to January's deaths, I seem to recall that a IMDb page has previously been accepted as evidence of whether someone was famous. Rabbi Israel S Dresner's IMDb page has now been updated with news of his death...

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4527840/

An IMDB page seems like an extremely broad metric, given that absolutely everyone who has ever worked in any capacity on a TV show or a film anywhere in the world is likely to have a page. Some guy whose contribution to the motion picture industry was to appear as 'self' in three minor documentaries is a case in point (he is famous for non-movie related stuff, albeit not quite famous enough for a UK obituary). Julie Strain from last year certainly has a far, far more extensive IMDB page, but she was still denied because there wasn't any worthwhile writeup in the UK press.

I was under the impression that IMDB, like Wikipedia, might be one of the tests as to whether a famous person's relative might have been famous in their own right, as opposed to just being famous for being someone else's relative.

Edited by Aim Here