Pregnancy And Parenting

4 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Yesterday,  picked my son up from school as usual at 15:30.

He was a little shook up and with the head teacher, he'd been in a fight with another boy from his class.

Very unusual, he's a great lad, top marks in all subject and loves the fitba, never a problem.  However, he lost his Granny 2 weeks ago, I my first thought he hurting and lamps someone.

What had actually happened, He'd been hit on the back of the head by a stick, from a boy in his class.  The stick had a nail in it, but didn't get hit by that, lucky.

The other parent was also there and she started to cry and tried to make them hug.  I was like hold on, what was the fight about, before we get all pally, likes.

Turns out (Roy, my son) was getting racially abused and he told the other boy to f**k off. The boy was slacking, his dad off(me) and his mother being a whore.

When we heard this, the other parent nearly fainted.

I just stared at the other boy, then asked his mum to "educate her son, and I'm saddened with  what has happened.  Roy will be at school tomorrow (today), with his head held high."

Bit of a shitter for the wee man, knew it was going to happen at some time.

Told the teacher to keep an eye on it, if anything else is said or happens, I'll get the police (my friend) to come and have a chat with the boy or anyone else that gets involved.  Put the shitter up him. 

Pisser.

We're lucky in that my wee lad goes to a big school and there are a fair few mixed-blood kids so he's not that unusual.   Plenty of Chinese and Indian as well.   In fact, the wee lass he has a crush on has a Scottish father.  That said, I'm always on the lookout for mood changes in case he does get any hassle. I'd imagine it's the same with you, it's not easy to walk the tightrope when problems come up as folk don't think like we do and the idea that as a foreigner you will be in the wrong by default gets on my t**s. 

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Pisser.

We're lucky in that my wee lad goes to a big school and there are a fair few mixed-blood kids so he's not that unusual.   Plenty of Chinese and Indian as well.   In fact, the wee lass he has a crush on has a Scottish father.  That said, I'm always on the lookout for mood changes in case he does get any hassle. I'd imagine it's the same with you, it's not easy to walk the tightrope when problems come up as folk don't think like we do and the idea that as a foreigner you will be in the wrong by default gets on my t**s. 

Nae, i live in the village of nobody, we're the only white folk here....hes being getting called (kee nok) all the time when he plays footballl, at school and other schools.

I'm  good with farang, but kee nok, i''m having not having of it.

kee nok means - white bird shite, which mean coming here and shitting on us

5 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Nae, i live in the village of nobody, we're the only white folk here....hes being getting called (kee nok) all the time when he plays footballl, at school and other schools.

I'm  good with farang, but kee nok, i''m having not having of it.

kee nok means - white bird shite, which mean coming here and shitting on us

I'm lucky in that in the Philippines they have a respect for white folk so any discriminatory comments are well-intentioned.   Hey Joe, Americano etc etc are almost daily comments but no harm. no foul. Wasn't quite the same in Hong Kong where we were Gweilos - white devils - and they would claim it was a friendly term but mostly wasn't used in a friendly way. 

Edited by hk blues

36 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Fair enough. I never went that way (I often watch TV until 1.30 or 2 am myself). 

To be honest the youngest regularly looses screen time before that point in the day 🤣

I've always been early to sleep and early up so don't really know what's normal at this age.

22 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Scott actually sets an alarm these days, otherwise he'd be in bed until about noon. 

Ah that's the good stuff. 

On Monday morning my 3 year old daughter climbed into bed with me (missus had already vacated to lie next to youngest who has a cold) said she'd be quiet but wanted a bit of my pillow, less than a minute later had all of my pillow and was poking me in the face. 6:30am on a Monday and nursery was closed as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/11/2023 at 22:15, RH33 said:

What time do folk with 10-14 yr olds fine their kids going to bed?

My son is 8 and goes to bed any time between 9 and 10pm. He's never been one for needing loads of sleep and he can get up about 7am no problem. His older cousins (11 and 13) are still in bed before him.

This question is mainly for those with older kids but we'll all have our own experiences from our youth:  at what age is the time to tell kids the truth about Santa? I ask because I took my son and a neighbours' 7 year old daughter to school in the car this morning, while we were waiting in the car the girl whispered in my ear "does he know Santa's not real?". I'm giving it the whole "of course he's real" but she tells me quietly that her mum has told her he's not and it's parents who do it all. She's the only child of the neighbour so it's not as if there are any older kids in the house who would have said anything. 

All I can think now is that the neighbour is an arsehole and what the f*ck is wrong with people

43 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

My son is 8 and goes to bed any time between 9 and 10pm. He's never been one for needing loads of sleep and he can get up about 7am no problem. His older cousins (11 and 13) are still in bed before him.

This question is mainly for those with older kids but we'll all have our own experiences from our youth:  at what age is the time to tell kids the truth about Santa? I ask because I took my son and a neighbours' 7 year old daughter to school in the car this morning, while we were waiting in the car the girl whispered in my ear "does he know Santa's not real?". I'm giving it the whole "of course he's real" but she tells me quietly that her mum has told her he's not and it's parents who do it all. She's the only child of the neighbour so it's not as if there are any older kids in the house who would have said anything. 

All I can think now is that the neighbour is an arsehole and what the f*ck is wrong with people

My rule of thumb was that they weren't going to High school knowing! With all of mine they worked out the tooth fairy was me and then followed Santa. I'd say last year was the first (youngest almost 10) we didn't have Santa. 

That said, they still keep it going for their half sister who is 6.

Edited by RH33

24 minutes ago, RH33 said:

My rule of thumb was that they weren't going to High school knowing! With all of mine they worked out the tooth fairy was me and then followed Santa. I'd say last year was the first (youngest almost 10) we didn't have Santa. 

That said, they still keep it going for their half sister who is 6.

I absolutely get that they can't go to high school still believing and most kids have a reasonable suspicion by the time they hit P5 but to tell before they're even in P3 seems a bit like wanting to spoil Xmas for them for me. My son knows that the ones who go to Xmas parties and in shopping centres etc aren't "the real santa" but he still believes as far as I know that he's real. 

I didn't realise, and again it'll stem from your own childhood that some families do all gifts from Santa. When I was wee Santa brought your main present only and that's what I carried on with mine.

19 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

I absolutely get that they can't go to high school still believing and most kids have a reasonable suspicion by the time they hit P5 but to tell before they're even in P3 seems a bit like wanting to spoil Xmas for them for me. My son knows that the ones who go to Xmas parties and in shopping centres etc aren't "the real santa" but he still believes as far as I know that he's real. 

The whole logistics of Santa don't make sense and most kids can work that out much earlier than we imagine.  I can't remember exactly when my son became a 'non-believer' but he's 11 now and it's been a good few years now - maybe 5 years ago.  Younger than average I'd say.  

16 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The whole logistics of Santa don't make sense and most kids can work that out much earlier than we imagine.  I can't remember exactly when my son became a 'non-believer' but he's 11 now and it's been a good few years now - maybe 5 years ago.  Younger than average I'd say.  

They're also wise enough not to let on they know too 🤣