Pregnancy And Parenting

13 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

To those with 'older' children, how old were your kids when they stopped believing in Santa? My 8 year old told me tonight that Santa's not real and I think I've managed to convince him otherwise for the time being.

Not sure I'm quite ready for the magic to go for him just yet but seems that day is coming far sooner than I hoped. Kids seem to grow up too quick now 

My eldest is 10 and I think she's either starting to latch on to it, or knows but isn't quite prepared to tell us in case she doesn't get anything.  I think this will be the last year of believing for her though.

One of the issues we have had is that i'd say close on 50% of the kids at their school are of different faiths, so don't believe in Santa anyway and over the years we have had some wee shites telling them that it's just their parents.

Mine are pretty innocent when it comes to that kind of thing so they have usually just ignored it whenever it comes up.

2 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

My eldest is 10 and I think she's either starting to latch on to it, or knows but isn't quite prepared to tell us in case she doesn't get anything.

I think that's likely to be the case for a lot of kids...they don't want to spoil the magic for their parents and a part of them is afraid they'll lose out on gifts if Santa is no more.  

When my eldest daughter was about 15 or 16, she was hellish to live with. A complete and utter bitch (she admits it herself now). Usual teenage stuff. 

I remember us going to Stirling in December and she was in a foul mood, verging on a rage. I cannot remember what (if anything) it was about but we were passing a line of kids waiting to see Santa. She shouted at them as loud as she could "Santa isn't real!". 

A few bemused looks from parents. The kids actually didn't pay her any attention. I marched her back to the car and we had the worst screaming match I can ever remember. 

Even now she talks about that (now that her kids are young she looks back and cannot recognise herself)

20 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

When my eldest daughter was about 15 or 16, she was hellish to live with. A complete and utter bitch (she admits it herself now). Usual teenage stuff. 

I remember us going to Stirling in December and she was in a foul mood, verging on a rage. I cannot remember what (if anything) it was about but we were passing a line of kids waiting to see Santa. She shouted at them as loud as she could "Santa isn't real!". 

A few bemused looks from parents. The kids actually didn't pay her any attention. I marched her back to the car and we had the worst screaming match I can ever remember. 

Even now she talks about that (now that her kids are young she looks back and cannot recognise herself)

Wow really can't wait until mine is a teenager, she already has a hell of temper... No idea where she gets it from 👀 

I thought they were meant to just leave you alone and spend most of the time in their room or in the park drinking or smoking? 

3 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Wow really can't wait until mine is a teenager, she already has a hell of temper... No idea where she gets it from 👀 

I thought they were meant to just leave you alone and spend most of the time in their room or in the park drinking or smoking? 

Scott and his wee sister are the total opposite. They are quiet and make no fuss. It's bliss. 

18 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

To those with 'older' children, how old were your kids when they stopped believing in Santa? My 8 year old told me tonight that Santa's not real and I think I've managed to convince him otherwise for the time being.

Not sure I'm quite ready for the magic to go for him just yet but seems that day is coming far sooner than I hoped. Kids seem to grow up too quick now 

I've got an 8 year old as well and she told me a couple of months ago that "this will be last year she'll do all the Santa stuff".  I'd hoped I'd have another year to two of the 'believing' stuff but kids are getting wiser.  There's no doubt 20,000 YouTubers out there telling them it's all bollocks.

1 hour ago, Desp said:

I've got an 8 year old as well and she told me a couple of months ago that "this will be last year she'll do all the Santa stuff".  I'd hoped I'd have another year to two of the 'believing' stuff but kids are getting wiser.  There's no doubt 20,000 YouTubers out there telling them it's all bollocks.

Mine doesn't even want to do the Santa stuff this year and to be fair the last time he done a Santa thing it looked babyish and he was one of the oldest there. He'd rather go to Edinburgh or Glasgow for the day and go to a panto. 

Agree re the YouTubers

57 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

The child that has had us living on the edge since he was conceived broke his elbow at school yesterday 🙈

I think that's a fairly common one. I did it when I was about 7 - fell off a bar stool that I was sitting on to play an arcade game on holiday - and Junior v1 managed it when she was about 4 falling off the kitchen bench, which must only be two feet high. 

27 minutes ago, Lex said:

Got another one coming in March, joining the two under two club. It'll be fun, right? I'm sure it will be some laugh, if nothing else 🥲

Literally just coming on to moan about having two of them, one 3 and one 7 months. 

It's hell. Last three nights the boy has decided sleeping at nighttime is overrated and instead whinging, laughing or rolling over and then complaining is better. Me and the missus are fucking zombies, he wont even nap now and I need to work. Quite fancy just ending it all right now. 

Anyway congrats.

5 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Literally just coming on to moan about having two of them, one 3 and one 7 months. 

It's hell. Last three nights the boy has decided sleeping at nighttime is overrated and instead whinging, laughing or rolling over and then complaining is better. Me and the missus are fucking zombies, he wont even nap now and I need to work. Quite fancy just ending it all right now. 

Anyway congrats.

It gets better. 

That said there's almost exactly 5 years between my two!

Assuming this is the start of the terrible twos as my lovely wee 17 month old girl has turned into a complete arsehole. Says yes to food then you bring her it and she screams no at you, try to put a nappy on and screams and kicks until you stop, can't put any clothes on her without a screaming match, brushing her teeth is also a fucking military operation and probably sounds like we're torturing her to my neighbours. I just took her to the park there and she had a full scale tantrum because I wouldn't let her walk up the slide (let her try it once and she cunted it right on her face), park time over and trying to get her to walk/go in the pram also a fucking impossibility. I feel like I need a few days/months in one of those places you get to just smash everything to f**k.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

It gets better. 

That said there's almost exactly 5 years between my two!

The little shit lulled us into a false sense of security sleeping almost through the night earlier on in the week, feels a long time ago now. I can't see light at the end of the tunnel yet. 

19 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Assuming this is the start of the terrible twos as my lovely wee 17 month old girl has turned into a complete arsehole. Says yes to food then you bring her it and she screams no at you, try to put a nappy on and screams and kicks until you stop, can't put any clothes on her without a screaming match, brushing her teeth is also a fucking military operation and probably sounds like we're torturing her to my neighbours. I just took her to the park there and she had a full scale tantrum because I wouldn't let her walk up the slide (let her try it once and she cunted it right on her face), park time over and trying to get her to walk/go in the pram also a fucking impossibility. I feel like I need a few days/months in one of those places you get to just smash everything to f**k.

If it helps and maybe right now it won't, but all completely normal. The 3 year old has not long emerged from this phase. Which is good for my sanity and the structural integrity of the interior walls. 

52 minutes ago, thistledo said:

If it helps and maybe right now it won't, but all completely normal. The 3 year old has not long emerged from this phase. Which is good for my sanity and the structural integrity of the interior walls. 

Understand its normal, and it's the thought of another 2 years of this pish that's sending me mental! Thankfully she still goes down to sleep no bother and does stay asleep for most of the time she should, so I still get the chance for rest but f**k me the hours she's awake now are a slog. It's annoying because I love going big walks with her but now she just won't sit in the pram longer than 10 minutes without going mad, and there's only so many carrot puffs I can dish out. 

Still working on the toilet training with mine. 3 and a half. He is fine at home, can spend the day in his underpants and 9 times out of 10 gives us fair warning when he needs the toilet/potty, but as soon as we leave the house, all bets are off. Perfectly normal, but a fucking pain.

Yesterday,  picked my son up from school as usual at 15:30.

He was a little shook up and with the head teacher, he'd been in a fight with another boy from his class.

Very unusual, he's a great lad, top marks in all subject and loves the fitba, never a problem.  However, he lost his Granny 2 weeks ago, I my first thought he hurting and lamps someone.

What had actually happened, He'd been hit on the back of the head by a stick, from a boy in his class.  The stick had a nail in it, but didn't get hit by that, lucky.

The other parent was also there and she started to cry and tried to make them hug.  I was like hold on, what was the fight about, before we get all pally, likes.

Turns out (Roy, my son) was getting racially abused and he told the other boy to f**k off. The boy was slacking, his dad off(me) and his mother being a whore.

When we heard this, the other parent nearly fainted.

I just stared at the other boy, then asked his mum to "educate her son, and I'm saddened with  what has happened.  Roy will be at school tomorrow (today), with his head held high."

Bit of a shitter for the wee man, knew it was going to happen at some time.

Told the teacher to keep an eye on it, if anything else is said or happens, I'll get the police (my friend) to come and have a chat with the boy or anyone else that gets involved.  Put the shitter up him. 

Edited by SlipperyP