Pregnancy And Parenting

My girlfriends feeling a bit like this at the moment. She's done the pregnancy tests, seen the GP & had first point of contact with the midwife but she says it still doesnt feel real yet. She likes going to bed early at nights so she can be one day closer to the first scan.

My girlfriend was the same before the first scan, as we'd only done a home test. It's an amazing thing when you see the baby on the screen :)

Don't get too worried. Some women prefer to stay in. She might want the peace for a couple of days!

My wife would have liked to stay in at least another day the second time around. She didn't get a choice. She was fit and able so she was told she was going. Even if they don't actually need the bed they don't want people there if they don't need to be.

My wife would have liked to stay in at least another day the second time around. She didn't get a choice. She was fit and able so she was told she was going. Even if they don't actually need the bed they don't want people there if they don't need to be.

Have to say, I've never had that experience! I was glad to have the choice of a couple of days in after my second. Then again, he was definitely the hardest birth of my three, so I needed it as well as wanted it.

I was at a meeting re new Victoria Hospital in Kirkcaldy, where they have planned and budgetted on mothers being out within 6 hours of giving birth. However Mrs WB has been admitted twice to Crosshouse hospital during the pregnancy and the new unit was n't full, so she might be lucky and get an overnight.

I remember when Cameron was born they wouldn't let her leave untill she was confident of what she was doing.

As an aside Cameron has gone 4 days without wet pants, I'm very Pwoud.

Zack Adam arrived yesterday at 23:16 after an 11 hour labour. It took so long because he a big boy, 9lbs 5oz.

Everyone was home by 2pm today and he's now in his room sleeping like the proverbial.

Happy days and well worth the wait.

Well done big chap.

What ?

Mrs WB was in for 3 days first time.

I have planned some time with the boy, when she is in hospital.

Can't be doing with this in and oot, the same day nonsense.

Because I carry Strep B in my birth canal I'll always be in for at least 48 hours as they monitor baby's temperature. My friend gave bith at 6.30am and was home (hour dirve from hopsital) by 2pm with her second.

Congratulations TM and the family! One of each now!

Zack Adam arrived yesterday at 23:16 after an 11 hour labour. It took so long because he a big boy, 9lbs 5oz.

Everyone was home by 2pm today and he's now in his room sleeping like the proverbial.

Woohoo! Congrats TM! :)

Don't get too worried. Some women prefer to stay in. She might want the peace for a couple of days!

I'll definitely be staying in next time for peace from son no 1! (Although I'll be getting a section next time, so it's likely I'd have to anyway.)

That's piss poor. At our hospital, you can stay as long as you want to (within reason). They asked me a couple of times in the morning (day 2 and 3 of being in hospital) if I wanted to leave and I said no and that was the end of it - I left on day 4. My midwife told me never to feel like they are wanting you to leave, because the only reason they ask you is because if you do want to go that day, they have to get all the paperwork together and the checks done.

That's piss poor. At our hospital, you can stay as long as you want to (within reason). They asked me a couple of times in the morning (day 2 and 3 of being in hospital) if I wanted to leave and I said no and that was the end of it - I left on day 4. My midwife told me never to feel like they are wanting you to leave, because the only reason they ask you is because if you do want to go that day, they have to get all the paperwork together and the checks done.

Well she wasn't physically carried out of the hospital. If she'd been absolutely insistent that she wasn't going then I'm sure she'd have been able to stay. But it was made clear that they expected her to go and there was no need for her to be there another day.

In discussing things since it's the one thing we both agreed could have been done better. I can't speak highly enough of the care and attention we received from throughout the duration of every pregnancy and the facilities generally are excellent (even if epidural isn't an option) but we did feel a little like we were chased from the hospital second time. We couldn't believe we were even asked if she wanted to go home within three hours of Steven being born (and when she was still at that point not keeping food down) and we both would have preferred if she'd stayed in a further night too. Just to relax before having to face everything again with two of them!

I should make clear in comparison to you that this was very much a second baby policy. There was no such assumption of going straight home when Thomas was born and she stayed in three nights after he was born (four in total because inducing him started the day before).

Aye, but I was on a ward with women on their second, third and fourth babies and they were treated the same way I was. I just think it's a bit crap to ask a woman who has gone through what is a traumatic experience (which is what childbirth is, there's no argument about it!) to leave within 24 hours, second baby or not!

Edit: you can't get epidurals here either.

Edited by Reina

Scan numero uno:

Holy shit what an experience, over a lot quicker than I imagined, kind of a surreal in (kick the guts clean out you and pap you back in the hallway with your pics), seeing the wee one all balled up, she then managed to shift him/her so he/she was stretched out a wee bit, the feeling when his heartbeat was going ten to the dozen (I literally could have scanted myself and ran around the hospital liked I'd scored the winner at East End Park), the news his brain was forming (already a cut above his old man) and all was as it should be.

f**k man I almost didn't get the time off work cause I'm so busy, I'm so glad I managed to get, that was off the charts.

We thought it was 12 weeks but the measurements at the scan says only 10 weeks so due date of 29th March 2011.

Scan numero uno:

Holy shit what an experience, over a lot quicker than I imagined, kind of a surreal in (kick the guts clean out you and pap you back in the hallway with your pics), seeing the wee one all balled up, she then managed to shift him/her so he/she was stretched out a wee bit, the feeling when his heartbeat was going ten to the dozen (I literally could have scanted myself and ran around the hospital liked I'd scored the winner at East End Park), the news his brain was forming (already a cut above his old man) and all was as it should be.

f**k man I almost didn't get the time off work cause I'm so busy, I'm so glad I managed to get, that was off the charts.

We thought it was 12 weeks but the measurements at the scan says only 10 weeks so due date of 29th March 2011.

(Or her?!)

It's fab isn't it? Will you be finding out the sex at the next scan?

(Or her?!)

It's fab isn't it? Will you be finding out the sex at the next scan?

Sorry I tried to cover both sexes, I have it in my head it's gonna be a wee boy (not that I'm hugely fussed), yeah we will be finding out, the missus is huge on planning so it'll allow both grans to go spending crazy, they are already like coiled springs!

I was excited/nervous/scared - anyone that thinks twice about not making the time to make the scan - think again, never felt such a euphoric feeling of happy helplessness.

superb news mate. all the best to you and yours. whens the whos the daddy t-shirt coming out :lol:

hope all doing well. Welcome to the world of parenthood.

9lbs 5 told you it was a biggy. our first was 9lb 11oz :o

superb news mate. all the best to you and yours. whens the whos the daddy t-shirt coming out :lol:

hope all doing well. Welcome to the world of parenthood.

9lbs 5 told you it was a biggy. our first was 9lb 11oz :o

Cheers.

How about "Who's the Daddy" on the front and "I f***ed your Mum" on the back?

Scan numero uno:

We got our appointment for the first scan last night. Three weeks today. Woohoo, really can't wait for it after reading that.

Scan numero uno:

You're exactly one wee ahead of me! :D

Better hope she doesn't go past 1st April as you won't get the Baby Element of tax credit as the Toeries are scrapping it!

Better hope she doesn't go past 1st April as you won't get the Baby Element of tax credit as the Toeries are scrapping it!

As they should to be honest. If anything it's cheaper to have an under 1 year old than over 1 year old. The additional baby payment is nonsense.

Does it actually make a significant difference anyway? I haven't been paying that much attention because we'll be out of it by then anyway but I presumed it stopped from April (Ithought it was the 5th, not the 1st) completely rather than for babies born after that date. If baby is born before the cut off date do they get it for the full year anyway? I assumed they'd just get a week before it stopped.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

As they should to be honest. If anything it's cheaper to have an under 1 year old than over 1 year old. The additional baby payment is nonsense.

Does it actually make a significant difference anyway? I haven't been paying that much attention because we'll be out of it by then anyway but I presumed it stopped from April (Ithought it was the 5th, not the 1st) completely rather than for babies born after that date. If baby is born before the cut off date do they get it for the full year anyway? I assumed they'd just get a week before it stopped.

It made a difference to us, but then you and I are in completely different circumstances! I think it supposed to cover things like formula milk and the need for new clothes every few weeks. Of course, after a year cow's milk is fine and much cheaper and they don't tend to grow out of clothes quite so quickly. The amount, however, doesn't cover anywhere near those costs, but it's certainly a help.

I'd assumed that the award would last for the full year if the baby was born before the cut off date. I really don't think they'd get away with just saying on the 1st (or 5th, whichever one it happens to be) "Right, sod you all. It stops now. Bye!", however much they might want to.

It made a difference to us, but then you and I are in completely different circumstances! I think it supposed to cover things like formula milk and the need for new clothes every few weeks. Of course, after a year cow's milk is fine and much cheaper and they don't tend to grow out of clothes quite so quickly. The amount, however, doesn't cover anywhere near those costs, but it's certainly a help.

I'd assumed that the award would last for the full year if the baby was born before the cut off date. I really don't think they'd get away with just saying on the 1st (or 5th, whichever one it happens to be) "Right, sod you all. It stops now. Bye!", however much they might want to.

Sorry, I probably phrased that badly.

I didn't mean to imply the additional money didn't make any difference. Clearly, free money is free money and not to be knocked back. The "Does it make any significant difference?" comment in the previous post was meant in terms of the birthdate. Like I said I presumed that at 6th April (and so far as I can see it IS 6th April being the tax year start date, not 1st April) the additional baby payment would just cease for all babies, rather than run for a year for all babies born before that date. It's a tax year benefit removal so I would presume that for tax year 2011/12 they just won't pay it, regardless of when the child was actually born. That would be the usual way to work a change in the tax regime. If that was the case then being born a few days before the cut off date would in fact be of trivial use. You'd get a few pounds. However, if Rowan (and you) is right (and she's more likely to have looked at it properly than me) then it obviously will make a huge difference. That was the point of the question.

I've tried to find the answer myself but it doesn't seem to be quickly available online anywhere.

As for the first part we've certainly found the costs for Thomas since he turned 1 have been higher than the costs before. Formula milk may well cost a lot more than normal milk but there's also all the other foods a 1 year old eats that a baby doesn't. Plus if you breast feed (which we didn't) then milk costs aren't all that much at all as a baby. We've also had to buy a lot more clothes for him than we ever did as a baby (though granted that's probably because of the enormous amount of clothes he got as gifts when he was born).

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Charlie tends to eat what I eat, so I'm actually buying very little extra in terms of food. If anything, it means I'm using more of the meat and veg I buy and chucking less out. It is hard if you're working or, as in your case particularly, have two small children, to have the time to be cooking for every meal and it makes it life so much easier to buy packets and jars of baby food, but they certainly don't come cheap! His Gran and Grandad are a valuable source of help too, as they tend to buy him a huge box of nappies and some jars of food when they go shopping so that keeps my costs down also. I wasn't a breastfeeder either. I tried with my first two and it was difficult after the births I'd had and neither of them were particularly interested, so I saved myself the heartache of trying with Charlie and went straight for formula (I wanted to enjoy him without getting upset and wondering why he wasn't wanting my milk!). As for his clothes, we still get given a fair amount of stuff in the form of hand-me-downs from other people with children and the odd few outfits. I managed to kit him out for summer with about £20 in Primark. I see absolutely no sense in spending vast amounts on kids clothes when they're toddling as they only roll around getting themselves filthy anyway!

I must have missed what you were getting at before with regard to it being worth it. I see your point there though. If you only get it for a couple of days, it's barely even worth the time it takes to claim (which can take weeks if it's busy) for what will amount to a very little amount. That's another reason though that I would imagine it will still last the year for those who give birth before the cut off date. If it were the case that the claim would only last a week or so, they'd have been as well setting the date as soon as possible and ending it before too many others could get a claim in.