Pregnancy And Parenting

SD you will be in clover when the oldest hits 3 and gets funded nursery placements, that is going to save us £100-£200 per month.

Then the bump will start in May, and the saving will be gone again.

Today was Camerons second day at nursery with no nappy, and 2 clean sheets I should have named him after David McGurn instead of Mickey Cameron.

I must have missed what you were getting at before with regard to it being worth it. I see your point there though. If you only get it for a couple of days, it's barely even worth the time it takes to claim (which can take weeks if it's busy) for what will amount to a very little amount. That's another reason though that I would imagine it will still last the year for those who give birth before the cut off date. If it were the case that the claim would only last a week or so, they'd have been as well setting the date as soon as possible and ending it before too many others could get a claim in.

My computer crashed there!

I've done some research and whilst I can't find anything definitive per se, the Revenue website states the additional tax credit for babies under 1 just ceases for tax year 2011/12. I tend to think you'll find it just stops for everyone from that date. I don't think it will last a year from birth for babies born before that date. However, I'm prepared to stand corrected if there's something definitive to the contrary somewhere. I can't find it if there is though. I guess it's still too far away yet for much in the way of online guidance to be available.

Administratively it's completely illogical to phase it out slowly over birthdates and much more likely that they'd just cease it from the start of a tax year.

SD you will be in clover when the oldest hits 3 and gets funded nursery placements, that is going to save us £100-£200 per month.

I'm somewhat in the dark here about what that means but I don't think there's any particular intention for him to attend nursery at this point as long as he has grandparents who are fit and able. I'm presuming that has no financial consequences for me therefore? Or is there something compulsory that I'm just not aware of? :unsure:

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I've done some research and whilst I can't find anything definitive per se, the Revenue website states the additional tax credit for babies under 1 just ceases for tax year 2011/12. I tend to think you'll find it just stops for everyone from that date. I don't think it will last a year from birth for babies born before that date. However, I'm prepared to stand corrected if there's something definitive to the contrary somewhere. I can't find it if there is though. I guess it's still too far away yet for much in the way of online guidance to be available.

Administratively it's completely illogical to phase it out slowly over birthdates and much more likely that they'd just cease it from the start of a tax year.

I'm somewhat in the dark here about what that means but I don't think there's any particular intention for him to attend nursery at this point as long as he has grandparents who are fit and able. I'm presuming that has no financial consequences for me therefore? Or is there something compulsory that I'm just not aware of? :unsure:

You're more than likely right, I just took it to mean for babies born from that day on. And yes the £45 a month is a help when you're on Stat mat pay. We don't get any funding towards nursery costs though as he's only in days a week and I'm not really all that sure what they are doing with the rest of tax credits but when the next one goes to nursery we would qualify. I choose not to rely on Grandparent for childcare.

Having thought about it some more, the awards are normally granted on a 6 month basis, and then they'll ask you to complete a form to say if your circumstances have changed/confirm they are the same. I wonder if they'll just do that and then not bother asking people to renew.

I have no idea why I'm putting any thought into it, to be honest. I'm not planning on being in the position again!

I think it's from the age of 3 that the government will provide vouchers to cover the cost of nursery for children. I don't think that it is compulsory (I fail to see how they can make you send children to nursery if you do not want or need them to go), but by the time they reach 3, it's quite nice to have a few hours break!

Cameron will qualify for paid nursey time when he is 3 (anti pre school, I think it is called).

So instead of us paying for him to be in nursery, South Ayrshire Council will fund it (up to 5 sessions of 3 hours per week) given he is only in nursery for 2 days at present, we will have him in longer for free.

I would presume that most LA's will have a similar scheme, the funding is only available durng school term time, and is open to all kids, irrespective of family income.

It's worth checking with the council, as they dont tend to make this kind of thing public knowledge, I think we had to register Cameron when he was 2 for the following year, as the places are normally provided by the local primary school.

Cameron didn't get into the school, but his nursery is also approved for the scheme, so he will go as normal to the nursery, but we wont get a bill at the end of the month.

Now in the final lap as far as my wife's pregnancy goes. Anywhere between 4 and 6 weeks left. Strangely calm rather than panicking over getting stuff ready.

3rd time round for me, 2nd time for my wife.

Double pram paid for, have scrounged the cot and other bits and bobs and got back a car seat thingy.

I just wonder now when it'll all hit me or maybe those hypobirthing classes really did work!

Now in the final lap as far as my wife's pregnancy goes. Anywhere between 4 and 6 weeks left. Strangely calm rather than panicking over getting stuff ready.

3rd time round for me, 2nd time for my wife.

Double pram paid for, have scrounged the cot and other bits and bobs and got back a car seat thingy.

I just wonder now when it'll all hit me or maybe those hypobirthing classes really did work!

Oh, which double pram did you go for?

Oh, which double pram did you go for?

Britax dual is reserved.

It's a beast, but my wife doesn't drive and there's no way our lad will fit in the phil and teds. He's 21 month and quite tall, so we need the space for him too. She liked the iCandy peach blossom buggy, but we didn't have a spare grand to chuck at it. ;)

We've a couple of fold down buggies for the car, so we're pretty well covered.

Britax dual is reserved.

It's a beast, but my wife doesn't drive and there's no way our lad will fit in the phil and teds. He's 21 month and quite tall, so we need the space for him too. She liked the iCandy peach blossom buggy, but we didn't have a spare grand to chuck at it. ;)

We've a couple of fold down buggies for the car, so we're pretty well covered.

Same style as the phil and teds. I saw it in Pram Centre and you're right it's a beast.

I want a side by side, I don't like the phil and ted and the like style and I found the tandams too long as I'm a bit of a short arse.

I like the Nipper and the Baby Jogger, I think it'll be the jogger as the fold size is smaller. Not sure either would suit a tall child. My wee one is petite for his age.

Edited by rowan

Same style as the phil and teds. I saw it in Pram Centre and you're right it's a beast.

I want a side by side, I don't like the phil and ted and the like style and I found the tandams too long as I'm a bit of a short arse.

I like the Nipper and the Baby Jogger, I think it'll be the jogger as the fold size is smaller. Not sure either would suit a tall child. My wee one is petite for his age.

It's a tough choice. For us, folding didn't really matter as we'd not be putting it in the car much. Side by side has it's attractions, but overall my wife liked the britax one.

Do you mean the Baby City Mini you posted a picture of a few pages back? The one we have?

If so we've not had any problems with height. Thomas is only 18 months of course but he's very tall for his age. Well up the percentiles. He was measured today and was still very tall (though I haven't seen the chart yet). Apparently he's 25 lbs or so and his year younger brother is now 18 lbs. :o He's a heavy wee cratur! Still much heavier than Thomas was at every stage.

Steven slept through the night for the first time last night. :D

Now was it a one off fluke or the start of blessed regularity?

It appears it was indeed the start of something more regular. :)

He is going to be about 8:30pm every night now and that's him to sometime between 5:45am and 6:30am. No more 1am - 3am feeds. :thumsup2

Catalyst appears to have been him going on to some more solid food instead of just milk. A bit of banana porridge in the evenings and he manages to make it through the night without hunger taking over.

It's a tough choice. For us, folding didn't really matter as we'd not be putting it in the car much. Side by side has it's attractions, but overall my wife liked the britax one.

I'm now swaying on whether we actually need one of not!

Do you mean the Baby City Mini you posted a picture of a few pages back? The one we have?

If so we've not had any problems with height. Thomas is only 18 months of course but he's very tall for his age. Well up the percentiles. He was measured today and was still very tall (though I haven't seen the chart yet). Apparently he's 25 lbs or so and his year younger brother is now 18 lbs. :o He's a heavy wee cratur! Still much heavier than Thomas was at every stage.

Yeah that is the one I meant.

That is huge for a 7 month(ish) old baby is it not?!

Never listen to the nonsense the wife tells you over the phone until you've actually read it in the chart booklet yourself. <_<

In fact Thomas is NOT very tall for his age any more I see and she now concedes maybe she wasn't told that. In fact he's dropped quite a bit in percentile terms. He's now somewhere between the 50th and 75th percentile instead of being up towards 90th as he was before.

Also Steven isn't now any heavier than Thomas was at the same age (he's a week younger than when Thomas was weighed).

That is huge for a 7 month(ish) old baby is it not?!

Doesn't appear to be on their charts. On the contrary, they've plotted him marginally above the 50th percentile and he's not as "big for his age" as he was over his first few months. He's also roughly about the same weight Thomas was at the same age, though he certainly looks much stockier. Thomas was always thin looking.

I'm now swaying on whether we actually need one of not!

You'll need one unless you are never going to have both of them out of the house on your own without another adult or unless No 1 son doesn't ever need a pushchair now.

At the end of the day you can't push two separate buggies by yourself. If we didn't have one Maureen would never get out of the house except on Sundays when I'm about!

You'll need one unless you are never going to have both of them out of the house on your own without another adult or unless No 1 son doesn't ever need a pushchair now.

At the end of the day you can't push two separate buggies by yourself. If we didn't have one Maureen would never get out of the house except on Sundays when I'm about!

Ruairidh will be 2.5 by then and he's rarely in the buggy just now, prefers to walk. So in the early days if I sling No 2 I may get away with it. However when I go back to work Al will need to get them both to nursery for 8am so I will probably need one to save him negotiating with a 3 yr old to walk in the right direction!