Pregnancy And Parenting

Looks like Zack is turning into a bit of a bear. He's now 9lbs 12oz. His sister reached his birth weight at 3 months old :lol:

:lol: Nice one, he'll probably catch up with Callum soon! He's only just reached 20lbs!!

There was a 2 week old baby at our group yesterday... *sigh* I got a chance to hold him and it was so lovely to hold a sleeping newborn again. *broods* That was until jealous mick came over and started clawing at my leg to be lifted up... hehe

:lol: Nice one, he'll probably catch up with Callum soon! He's only just reached 20lbs!!

There was a 2 week old baby at our group yesterday... *sigh* I got a chance to hold him and it was so lovely to hold a sleeping newborn again. *broods* That was until jealous mick came over and started clawing at my leg to be lifted up... hehe

How long at work until you qualify for materity? ;)

I could have gone back pregnant, maternity leave counts as continuous service at my work. Can't afford childcare and things though with two, so have to keep my sensible head on! ;) Once Cal's off to nursery 5 days a week, there may be negotiation ;)

Edit: That said... there may be promotion opportunities soon...

Edited by Reina

We made the bottles in batches for both kids (6 bottles at a time) and warmed them up out of the fridge in a container of boiling water.

No adverse effects whatsoever!

Of course, but the guidelines are there for a reason - if you don't do it each time, you run the risk of the bacteria multiplying and, for some children, it can have devastating consequences. It's basic food hygiene, albeit for milk.

We made the bottles in batches for both kids (6 bottles at a time) and warmed them up out of the fridge in a container of boiling water.

No adverse effects whatsoever!

We tended to do three at a time (and still do first thing in the morning for Steven, though there's only one made at bed time for his breakfast in the morning).

Otherwise exactly the same. Steven had a reflux problem initially so, once it was diagnosed, for several months every feed had to have Gaviscon added to it but that was done at the heating stage. He's over that now anyway though.

Of course, but the guidelines are there for a reason - if you don't do it each time, you run the risk of the bacteria multiplying and, for some children, it can have devastating consequences. It's basic food hygiene, albeit for milk.

We'd make the bottles with boiling water and then fire them straight in the fridge. They'd be used on the same day too.

We tended to do three at a time (and still do first thing in the morning for Steven, though there's only one made at bed time for his breakfast in the morning).

Otherwise exactly the same. Steven had a reflux problem initially so, once it was diagnosed, for several months every feed had to have Gaviscon added to it but that was done at the heating stage. He's over that now anyway though.

Our wee boy needed the Gaviscon satchets for a little while too due to colic. My wee lass was fine though, thankfully!

Edited by Andy C

But at a certain temperature, the bacteria multiply (didn't you do Home Ec at school?! ;) ) hence the need to make it up each time - if you leave them to cool, the bacteria multiply and it is never heated again to a suitable temp so as to kill the bacteria.

I'm not judging you for doing it, as I've done it myself when Cal had formula when I went back to work and I don't know anyone who does make up the bottles on at a time, I'm just pointing out why the guidelines are like that.

But at a certain temperature, the bacteria multiply (didn't you do Home Ec at school?! ;) ) hence the need to make it up each time - if you leave them to cool, the bacteria multiply and it is never heated again to a suitable temp so as to kill the bacteria.

I'm not judging you for doing it, as I've done it myself when Cal had formula when I went back to work and I don't know anyone who does make up the bottles on at a time, I'm just pointing out why the guidelines are like that.

I do. I don't know how she could be arsed though. What a complete pain.

I appreciate that pal. :)

On reminiscing about those times to the wife she advises me that we were actually doing that on the advice of our health visitor.

I do. I don't know how she could be arsed though. What a complete pain.

I did it too. I hated formula feeding as it was so ensured I followed the guidelines. But I had the advantage that I was also breastfeeding so it was only a little extra on top of that (as he wasn't gaining weight, by 6 weeks wasn't back at birth weight so Drs advice was to top up with formula) so was able to buy time to allow it to be made and cool.

This time I hope I don't have to buy any formula.

I appreciate that pal. :)

On reminiscing about those times to the wife she advises me that we were actually doing that on the advice of our health visitor.

Now, there was an utterly useless person. I really didn't like the health visitor and in the end my GP stepped in and had us transferred to another one who has retired but her replacement came out to do Ruairidh's year assessment and she was lovely. Turned out we had been down for additional support due to my past mental health problems ( 2.5 years well and 6 months off all meds now btw) and I had not once seen the other health visitor in regards to this remit. Useless.

Been asked to be Godfather to my nephew when he gets Christened in a couple of months. What will this involve me doing at the service?

Probably very little, though different churches and different ministers do things differently so there's no "standard".

In theory it means you promise to bring the child up as a Christian in the event that anything happens to the parents. There's no formal vow for the Godparents to take though. The parents (or at least one) has to reply "Yes" to the question "Will you promise to raise the child in the Christian faith?" or something like that. The Godparent might also reply but doesn't usually have to.

In some places it's tradition for the Godparent to carry the child into the church for baptism and hand him/her to the minister for the wetting of the head. Again though, it's not compulsory and it didn't happen with our second one which was in a different church to the first one.

With regard to the bottles being made up in advance, I did it with my eldest two (we weren't told not to do it then) so I saw no harm in doing the same with Charlie, as it's a right pain in the arse having to make up a fresh one each time. Then I had a bright idea (well, read it somewhere actually): we made up 3 sterilised bottles of boiling water at a time and put them in the fridge. When it came to using them, we heated the water up either in the microwave or by standing them in boiling water and then added the milk. Piece of wee wee.

With regard to the bottles being made up in advance, I did it with my eldest two (we weren't told not to do it then) so I saw no harm in doing the same with Charlie, as it's a right pain in the arse having to make up a fresh one each time. Then I had a bright idea (well, read it somewhere actually): we made up 3 sterilised bottles of boiling water at a time and put them in the fridge. When it came to using them, we heated the water up either in the microwave or by standing them in boiling water and then added the milk. Piece of wee wee.

Thats what we did too. They say you shouldnt use a microwave to reheat though, as it doesnt heat consistently through the water, so you can get cold or hot spots.

Thats what we did too. They say you shouldnt use a microwave to reheat though, as it doesnt heat consistently through the water, so you can get cold or hot spots.

We never used the microwave to heat milk, just water, and we'd give it a good shake before adding the milk and after adding the milk to make sure it was mixed and there was no hot spots. Water's actually far quicker to heat by standing in boiling water than milk is as well, so it made things an awful lot simpler.

We never used the microwave to heat milk, just water, and we'd give it a good shake before adding the milk and after adding the milk to make sure it was mixed and there was no hot spots. Water's actually far quicker to heat by standing in boiling water than milk is as well, so it made things an awful lot simpler.

Yup. That's what we did.

After a while we found our son liked it straight from the fridge. Strange but it worked.