Pregnancy And Parenting

Well we did our first round of controlled crying last night what cruel b*****d came up with that don't know ho cried more the baby or her mum. After 45 minutes she more or less passed out with exhaustion. So it did work but watching her clinging to her bear for comfort was pretty shite

The way did it was to go in after 3 mins, comfort him. Then 5 mins, comfort him. 7 mins comfort him and so on, without ever actually picking him up. Which wasn't too bad. I think he was sleeping within 25 mins or so. We were lucky tho, he's pretty much been a great sleeper from that first night we gave it a go.

Edited by Cyber_soccer

Sorry but I think controlled crying is cruel. They are tiny babies and they need comforting. Niamh went through a period of two months of needing settled to sleep. Just around when she was in and out of hospital but now she's through it she self settles without the endless screaming. I even have the children in our bed at times. Shock horror.

Gina Ford has never had children so where she gets off giving information is beyond me. I refused to see a health visitor who also had similar ideas and no children. My current health visitor is a mum and much more sensible.

Sorry but I think controlled crying is cruel. They are tiny babies and they need comforting. Niamh went through a period of two months of needing settled to sleep. Just around when she was in and out of hospital but now she's through it she self settles without the endless screaming. I even have the children in our bed at times. Shock horror.

Gina Ford has never had children so where she gets off giving information is beyond me. I refused to see a health visitor who also had similar ideas and no children. My current health visitor is a mum and much more sensible.

Cruel is a very strong word in my opinion. Controlled crying of no more than 25 mins, with either me and my missus going in every few minutes (most was no more than ten) to comfort Zak was not cruel. In fact, its the complete opposite, he was up hourly, sometimes more. This was for a similar length of time as two months. It was affecting him more than us, we can catch a nap at anytime but he just didn't want to nap during the day, was restless and wasn't a happy baby. That 25 minutes completely changed him, so much happier.

We also didn't try this until he was more than 8 months old, not a tiny baby.

Edited by Cyber_soccer

Controlled crying shouldn't be used for babies under 6 months or babies that are unwell. It's definitely not something you should use unless you are absolutely certain that your baby is crying for no real need (i.e. Hungry, poorly, wet, dirty etc.). It's not suitable for all babies either, the same as anything else. You take your cue from the child, not your convenience. Some schools of thought centre on fitting a baby into your routine. That is cruel.

Boy decided he didn't want to wear a nappy to bed last night. We lifted him onto the potty when we went to bed last night, and he was dry this morning :D So he's gone to bed without a nappy on again tonight. *fingers crossed*

Boy decided he didn't want to wear a nappy to bed last night. We lifted him onto the potty when we went to bed last night, and he was dry this morning :D So he's gone to bed without a nappy on again tonight. *fingers crossed*

haha!

my babies all went through the same thing!

normally I will make them wear a nappy but since it was my eldests 15th birthday I bent the rules a bit ;)

xxx

Edited by FootyBabe

haha!

my babies all went through the same thing!

normally I will make them wear a nappy but since it was my eldests 15th birthday I bent the rules a bit ;)

xxx

L4L?

Who was the walloper on here that used to get all mad when I told him that my wife didn't breast feed and that it didn't do my two kids any harm.

I think he may have been clinically insane and could quite easily picture him standing outside maternity hospitals with placards urging new Mums to breast feed kids?

His girl was on here too and he left the board in shame when he hung her out to dry one time...

Who was the walloper on here that used to get all mad when I told him that my wife didn't breast feed and that it didn't do my two kids any harm.

I think he may have been clinically insane and could quite easily picture him standing outside maternity hospitals with placards urging new Mums to breast feed kids?

His girl was on here too and he left the board in shame when he hung her out to dry one time...

I think you might be talking about Hebridean...

The breast feeding nazis can f**k right off one of these ring pieces had a go at my wife for not breast feeding for the first month. the little matter of her laying in intensive care wired up to more machines than it takes to launch a space shuttle didnt stop her preaching.

Anyway the controlled crying has been adapted to suit us and the baby. We now calm.her down completely stroke.her.hair for a minute then sit next to her cot for 2-3 minutes then leave the room. Seems much better for all parties she was only up once last night so fingers crossed

Why would a health visitor need to have had children? :huh:

Controlled crying shouldn't be used for babies under 6 months or babies that are unwell. It's definitely not something you should use unless you are absolutely certain that your baby is crying for no real need (i.e. Hungry, poorly, wet, dirty etc.). It's not suitable for all babies either, the same as anything else. You take your cue from the child, not your convenience. Some schools of thought centre on fitting a baby into your routine. That is cruel.

Depends what you mean by fitting into your routine. I would say we probably dictated the routine to our two, when they were babies. They were fed at set times, bathed at set times, bed etc. It wasnt to fit in with us, it was to get them into a routine, but I wouldnt say we were led by them

Rest in peace little Oliver Hewson.

The word tragedy is far overused in trivial things like football forums. This is a real tragedy. Thoughts with the family. I used to work with his mum. :bairn

Mrs X was at work when they all came in to A&E :(

Edited by Mr X

Guest The Phoenix

I think you might be talking about Hebridean...

I met him at the P&B Fives a few years back.

Odd would be the generous description.