Pregnancy And Parenting

SD, I was going to frop you a PM in the morning to see what the show was like! Ruairidh's friends mum has booked them through her bank account and got 25% off so I'm £15 for the two of us so not a total disaster if he hates it!

I wasn't all that impressed with the half I saw but then it isn't aimed at me! We were probably too far back too. Mrs SD said Thomas really enjoyed the second half and was clapping along so hopefully he'll enjoy it. :)

:( Ouch and there won't be anything you can do either? Can't plaster it up like a leg or an arm?

Oooft. How did that happen?

I broke that when I was 15 and was in tears. How did it happen?

Absolutely no idea. She was screaming her head off all morning yesterday and that's when we noticed bruising. My best guess is acting like an action man, she's learning to walk just now and has been constantly pulling herself up onto her feet, fall on her backside etc

We now have try to immobilise her arm and stop her moving it around for the next 2/3 weeks, which will be murder trying to get her to, but she has been given a wee sling type thing.

Getting her checked for something like that had me feeling very guilty. Each time we were asked questions "How did it happen? When did you notice it?" I found myself getting defensive. "I didn't do this. It was an accident."

We have two new fish today. "Nemo" and "George 2".

After his efforts of Thursday and Friday when he nearly drove us spare, Steven went to stay with Granny & Grandpa on Saturday and ended up staying Sunday night too so we took Thomas out for his first proper meal at a restaurant. He did very well. Enjoyed his pasta bolognese, behaved well, though he did give us and most nearby tables a running commentary on who was walking past, what the pictures on the walls showed, who was sitting at other tables, etc. Most people seemed to find him cute though so I'll chalk that one up as a success. :D

Yeah, put lavender oil in the bath (you can get it in chemists) as that will help soothe the stitches (believe me, I had a LOT of stitches) and you can also use tea tree oil to help aid the healing and keep the wound clean. Tell your wife not to expect too much too soon... I had a third degree tear (I wont go into details, but you can imagine what that might entail) and it took months before it healed, and probably a good 6/7 months before it had healed completely. The stitches will feel itchy when they're healing, so tell her to put some maternity pads into the fridge and she can use a cold one when the stitches are hurting/itchy. I believe you can also put tea tree oil on them to help with that, too. Also, take all the pain killers she needs - I stopped taking mine too soon as I felt ok, but soon felt terrible again and was straight back on them!

I can understand that point of view, but we're limited on where we can put him where he can throw his temper tantrums and not get in the way of anyone. I wouldn't have put his pyjamas on and put him to bed if it had been earlier in the day, but we normally start the bedtime routine around 6 anyway, so it wasn't drastically early. Once he realised his brother was getting ready for bed too, he couldn't be bothered arguing and just settled down anyway. He only got up 3 times after being sent early, which is a drastic improvement on a usual night. It's at least double that normally! This was the first time we've ever actually put him to bed, rather than just in his room for a "time out". We'll find out tomorrow if it's worked or not! He has no fear whatsoever of being told off. I could stand and shout until I was blue in the face and it's like water off a duck's back to him. A stern talking to gets so far, but he's normally back doing the same thing ten minutes later. When he's a mind to be naughty, he just is. The strange thing is, he can be the nicest boy in the world at other times. He takes his own plate and cup to the kitchen after his dinner, he loves helping to load the washing machine or tumble drier, he'll do anything to help. He's just a bugger the rest of the time!

Like SD said, we've always avoided using going to bed early as a threat. We've found that threatening to take away "treats" is very effective. Whether it be something like going swimming or something simple like watching tv it always works for us. However, you do have to be prepared to follow through on what you say, if the behaviour doesnt work. Making empty threats will soon be sussed out!

Like SD said, we've always avoided using going to bed early as a threat. We've found that threatening to take away "treats" is very effective. Whether it be something like going swimming or something simple like watching tv it always works for us. However, you do have to be prepared to follow through on what you say, if the behaviour doesnt work. Making empty threats will soon be sussed out!

At the moment, we're focusing more on rewarding the good behaviour and looking the other way when he throws a tantrum. Most of the time, he will just stop screaming immediately when he sees you physically turn around and look at something other than him, but other times he'll keep it going until he can't scream anymore. We've got a rule where any cars, trains, lorries, fire engines and so on aren't allowed on the table because he just pushes them until they fall off, which is dangerous because of the baby. An 18 inch fire engine complete with ladders to an unfused skull not being conducive to a long and happy life. He will push the rule again and again and again until we have to take the toy away and he doesn't get it back until the next day. Mostly, he'll just find some other way to make a nuisance of himself though!

The rewards really do seem to work, but he's the sort of child that likes to see an immediate return for his good behaviour. Until now, once he got 10 stars on his star chart, he got a piece of chocolate or something but yesterday I told him if he got 20 stars, I'd take him to the zoo. Well bugger me if the little guy didn't go and get 20 stars. Still, I met the pandas, so I'm quite happy now.

Thomas started funded five day a week pre-schoool today. :D

Steven starts on the two days a week thing we were paying for Thomas on Thursday now that we no longer pay for Thomas.

Charlie recently started getting the free nursery places. He's only in two full days a week (I'm in class three full days a week, but he spends a day at home with LM and Harry) so I was a bit worried that the 15 hours you get each week would have to be split into five days. The nursery have been brilliant though, letting us take it in the two days he has always been booked in for. It's been amazing not having to pay it, as we were paying around £230 PCM for two days a week.

Harry is registered to go in September, although we might have to see if they can take him for a couple of days next month as my exams overlap LM finishing maternity leave.

I was at home alone with Harry all day yesterday, probably for the first time since he was born (coming up for seven months). Even though I took a year off to watch Charlie when he was under a year old, I was going spare a bit when Harry wouldn't settle for about an hour, think it was his teeth that was bothering him.

At the moment, we're focusing more on rewarding the good behaviour and looking the other way when he throws a tantrum. Most of the time, he will just stop screaming immediately when he sees you physically turn around and look at something other than him, but other times he'll keep it going until he can't scream anymore. We've got a rule where any cars, trains, lorries, fire engines and so on aren't allowed on the table because he just pushes them until they fall off, which is dangerous because of the baby. An 18 inch fire engine complete with ladders to an unfused skull not being conducive to a long and happy life. He will push the rule again and again and again until we have to take the toy away and he doesn't get it back until the next day. Mostly, he'll just find some other way to make a nuisance of himself though!

The rewards really do seem to work, but he's the sort of child that likes to see an immediate return for his good behaviour. Until now, once he got 10 stars on his star chart, he got a piece of chocolate or something but yesterday I told him if he got 20 stars, I'd take him to the zoo. Well bugger me if the little guy didn't go and get 20 stars. Still, I met the pandas, so I'm quite happy now.

Would he respond to verbal praise - like just telling him hes a good boy when he does something good, something that maybe isnt big enough to merit a treat? That seems to work with ours. If Ive spent any time with them during the day and theyve been good, I always (try and remember to) say thank you for being a good girl/boy when they go to bed, especially if we've been or done anything out of the ordinary.

Charlie recently started getting the free nursery places. He's only in two full days a week (I'm in class three full days a week, but he spends a day at home with LM and Harry) so I was a bit worried that the 15 hours you get each week would have to be split into five days. The nursery have been brilliant though, letting us take it in the two days he has always been booked in for. It's been amazing not having to pay it, as we were paying around £230 PCM for two days a week.

Harry is registered to go in September, although we might have to see if they can take him for a couple of days next month as my exams overlap LM finishing maternity leave.

I was at home alone with Harry all day yesterday, probably for the first time since he was born (coming up for seven months). Even though I took a year off to watch Charlie when he was under a year old, I was going spare a bit when Harry wouldn't settle for about an hour, think it was his teeth that was bothering him.

You're lucky. Nurserys down here dont seem to be particurly flexible about times and sessions. When Molly first started her paid for sessions, they started at 9.30 <_<

Would he respond to verbal praise - like just telling him hes a good boy when he does something good, something that maybe isnt big enough to merit a treat? That seems to work with ours. If Ive spent any time with them during the day and theyve been good, I always (try and remember to) say thank you for being a good girl/boy when they go to bed, especially if we've been or done anything out of the ordinary.

I've made the poor lad sound like a total nightmare here. :lol: He's not that bad really, it's just that when he is naughty, he's really naughty! He does respond to verbal praise, we're always telling him he's a good boy when he's behaving himself. Our biggest problem is attention. If things aren't all about Charlie, he tends to act up a bit and (I'm sure you know yourself) when you're trying to deal with a baby and you have a toddler desperate for your attention, it's not easy to try and balance things. The minute Harry needs something is the exact time Charlie decides he needs a cuddle or wants you to play with him. Or, of course, that is the exact time he needs to stand on the arm of the chair or start throwing toys around the room.

The star chart thing came about from a health visitor that came round. I'd mentioned to our usual health visitor that we could find Charlie a struggle at times and she offered to send round another HV who also had a nursery nursing background and does a lot of work with families that are having behavioural problems. It seemed a bit like a sledge hammer to a nut, but we had nothing to lose so decided to give it a go. She came once a week for 4 weeks and her initial suggestion was the star chart and the offer of a reward when he reached a certain amount of stars. Her idea was to take him to soft play if he got enough stars during the week. I, personally, didn't think it would be immediate enough for Charlie to encourage him. It's not always chocolate he gets either. It could be that he gets a box of raisins instead or he's allowed to play a game on my phone, it could be anything he likes really. It seemed to work because it wasn't just an immediate "yay, well done!" and back to normal, but it encouraged him to keep up the good behaviour without it being distant enough that he wouldn't get excited by it. He gets praise each time he gets a star and I like to tell him why he got it, then we count them up and see how many he's got and he does seem to find that encouraging. He spent Sunday actually looking for things to do that would earn him a star. His bedroom's never been so tidy!

The hardest thing we find is to keep things consistent, partly down to having the baby meaning sometimes I can't respond immediately when he starts throwing a tantrum/a toy/his weight around (if, say, I'm mid-nappy change or feed), and he knows that and takes advantage. The other problem is, everywhere else he goes, there is always something going on to distract him. At nursery, there is always another child to play with. When he's with his grandparents, they prepare for having him for the day and don't have things like housework getting in the way. They normally also just take Charlie, so they don't have the baby to take their attention away either.

The latest tantrums are really starting to irritate me though. It's not that he just cries or shouts, but he's started to scream instead. It goes right through me. My apologies to anyone who lost their eardrums near the sun bear enclosure yesterday because a little boy wanted to go on the sky park but wasn't allowed.

Any fellow parents that fancy a good day out for much cheapness should try Camperdown Park in Dundee. It's got a great selection of chutes and other stuff in the play area and the wildlife centre is excellent value at £3.80 an adult. They have bears, ponies, lynx, a wolf, owls, wildcats, lemurs, otters, rabbits, goats, a wallaby, rhea (like ostriches), a Golden Eagle, Storks and a few other cool animals. It has a nice wee cafe too. For the money, it beats the piss out of Edinburgh Zoo. Can you tell I was impressed?

http://www.camperdownpark.com/general.htm

http://www.camperdownwildlifecentre.com/

Edited by Scary Bear