Pregnancy And Parenting

My girlfriend is 10 and a half weeks gone, I already have two boys aged 17 and 15. The sleepless nights are worrying me a tad, I managed the last time getting up throught the night with both of them but I was in my early/mid twenties then. This one is due a couple of weeks before my 40th birthday. Still giddy as a school girl though. :-)

My girlfriend is 10 and a half weeks gone, I already have two boys aged 17 and 15. The sleepless nights are worrying me a tad, I managed the last time getting up throught the night with both of them but I was in my early/mid twenties then. This one is due a couple of weeks before my 40th birthday. Still giddy as a school girl though. :-)

Congratulations! We were discussing babies here The other night (we're not having any more, that wasn't an announcement or anything) and we were both of same opinion that sleepness nights are the hardest bit about babies. I don't envy anyone doing that again. The important thing is that they don't last forever. They will eventually sleep through. You'll cope because you just will. Anyway, being a bit older you'll have more patience than you did when your older kids were tiny, you'll be more relaxed, less likely to panic over the things that brand new parents do and you'll enjoy it so much more for it. That's been my experience, anyway!

That's a damn lie! Our oldest is coming up for 3 and she's still a wee shite. Sleeps probably less than 5 hours a night. I'm lucky if I sleep 4 hours.

She's not even 3! That's not forever! Besides, 4 hours is loads, what are you moaning about?

We've been really lucky. Both of our babies have slept through from about 5-8 weeks. Was certainly harder the second time as we worried more about the older one being disturbed.

Would recommend this book - basically common sense but helps you spot the signs of when the little one is ready to sleep a "core" night it also has some tips if sleep problems develop

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sleep-easy-way-peaceful-nights/dp/1844037053/ref=sr_1_32?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398242204&sr=1-32&keywords=sleep

My wee girl will be 4 in a few weeks. You can set a clock by her. 5am, she walks through to our room and climbs in with us. Then, whilst sleeping she does star jumps and kung-fu kicks to keep me and the wife awake.

Our oldest is similar, we're lucky if he stays in his bed past 6am, always ends up coming in with us.

Our two have always been pretty decent sleepers however, they've both slept through from three months at the latest (hard to remember), bar the odd night where the youngest cries for something.

Congratulations to the new dad, and to Stimpy!

My oldest wouldn't stay in bed when he was a toddler, I found that little or no interaction and just keep putting him to bed worked. It took two hard week's but we got there. He's 17 now and I canna get him out of his pit.

My partner is due in 6 weeks, i've sort of immersed myself into work over the last 6 months due to it being a relitively new job and because I was looking for the overtime as a financial cushion for when the toot comes. Kind of regretted not being there for her, but we both know it will be different once the baby arrives. ( I'm taking a month off and moving to a set shift)

Now we are in the home stretch, I go on buying sprees as i'm sure we don't have enough stuff and end up panicking when i see something advertised that we don't have. I'd buy their first school shoes if i could.

Edited by Bobby Skidmarks

My two have both slept pretty well from about three months. My daughter does 12 hours a night and my son who is almost 5 (how the f**k did that happen, btw?) is not far off too. He went through a phase of early waking and so we bought a groclock. It took a bit of training, but now he knows he can't come through to our room until the sun comes up on the clock. If he wakes up earlier, he just stays in his room and plays Lego or reads books. Brilliant.

She's not even 3! That's not forever! Besides, 4 hours is loads, what are you moaning about?

We have a deal. She gets up for the wee boy and I get up for her. The wee boy sleeps like a log all night. She screams her head off till well after midnight!

I reckon since last Wednesday I've slept maybe 18 hours. Nightmare.

My two have both slept pretty well from about three months. My daughter does 12 hours a night and my son who is almost 5 (how the f**k did that happen, btw?) is not far off too. He went through a phase of early waking and so we bought a groclock. It took a bit of training, but now he knows he can't come through to our room until the sun comes up on the clock. If he wakes up earlier, he just stays in his room and plays Lego or reads books. Brilliant.

I looked at one for Charlie but he's terrified of having any light in the room. Can't even leave a phone on charge or television on standby. Daft wee bugger.

Congrats to all who've had bairns since I last posted on this thread, there are bound to be a few.

My "wee" one is now 2 and a half so we've moved onto toilet training. Few accidents so far but she is doing quite well.

So we had the scan. It went okay - the scan showed that the amniotic band is quite far over to one side and so far the baby doesn't seem to have had any dealings with it. All fingers, toes and limbs present and correct. Very wriggly.

Things are not going well between my wife and I, though. My wife says she is finding it very difficult to trust me. In her eyes (and not entirely without reason) she thinks I should have had all this nipped in the bud with my mum months and months ago. But I didn't as I tried to keep everyone happy, and now of course it has escalated and this has happened. My wife is incredibly angry that my mum and aunts have ganged up on her. And I can understand why.

I really hope this all blows over. The thought of losing my family over this terrifies me.

How's things going now?

Congrats to all who've had bairns since I last posted on this thread, there are bound to be a few.

My "wee" one is now 2 and a half so we've moved onto toilet training. Few accidents so far but she is doing quite well.

Our 3 year old grandson (4 in July, actually, now that I think about it) has numerous accidents, particularly when he's staying with us, and also when at home, occasionally.

However, these accidents never occur at play school. He hasn't been well (cold/cough) this last week, which seems to have exacerbated the situation.

We think he just gets that wrapped up in what he is doing he forgets to go to the bathroom.

However, he starts school in September, so I don't really want this dragging on.

Maybe it's just another of these interminable phases. (His younger brother is still in nappies - maybe that has something to do with it?)

We're about a month into our 2 year old sleeping in his 'big boy bed'. It's going well so far. He's gotten up probably 3 times himself (once during the night but settled when we put him back in his bed, once in the morning at a reasonable hour and once late in the evening the latter of which, when prompted, he went back into bed and settled himself. We're still safety conscious by having his baby monitor switched on during the night so when he's awake we can hear him. In the morning he seems content to lie in his bed until we come through more so than realise he can get out of bed himself now. He still naps during the day however the times vary which seems to impact when he'll go to bed at night time. I'm of the opinion he goes to bed between 20:00 and 20:30 and if it means a few trips into his room to make him aware it's bed time then so be it however my other half feels he needs soothed and almost brought down to a more tired state before contemplating putting him down. Regardless if he's in his bed for 20:00 or 22:00 he'll still be up at his usual 07:30 in the morning.

We have a groclock for Josh. It used to be brilliant, but he now just ignores it. Gets up about half 6 every day and spends all day shattered. Really frustrating.

We had a lot of ignoring for a while so we introduced a sticker chart and if he got a sticker every day, at the end of the week, he got a wee thing - magazine or a sweet or something. Did the job, but my boy is very open to bribery! ;-)

This is me and my other half's second attempt at baby making after she sadly miscarried at 10 weeks in December, understandably we are being super cautious. No danger foods, caffeine, obviously alcohol, no lifting and carrying and worst of all none of the other :-(

So it irks me a tad when I see, like I did today, a very heavily pregnant girl in her twenties strolling down the road reaking up a cigarette. If you're willing to risk your unborn babies health for a smoke then you need to reassess your lifestyle choices.

I'm being polite.