Pregnancy And Parenting

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Were her top ones the first to come through? Aila's first is right at the bottom. Her favourite place just now is her jumparoo, absolutely loves it.

Slightly OT but Aila's middle name is Catherine (after my late Nana). It's obviously an older name but the more I hear it and put the wee one's face to it I find the more I like it and don't see it as an older name. Thought I'd share that with you :lol:

Her bottom 2 came through about a month ago.

I like it because it's a normal name that isn't too popular. Although I was at a baby group yesterday and there was another Catherine! Oh and her middle name is Bessie. Hows that for old fashioned :lol:

Edited by Honest Saints Fan

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Anytime in the next few weeks. Likely to be taken early so could be as early as mid May. She is doing pretty well but fed up!

Good stuff! Maybe baby will arrive just as Falkirk go up via the play-offs. If it's a boy you could name him after #BSLM 

Eleanor has been a nightmare. Sleeps 2-4 hour blocks during the night and wants milk every time she wakes. She's not yet eating mush or solids yet but is 6 months old. No idea what's wrong. Mathew is finally saying some words and understands everything you say, he turns 2 in June. Couple of slow learners I have.

Eleanor has been a nightmare. Sleeps 2-4 hour blocks during the night and wants milk every time she wakes. She's not yet eating mush or solids yet but is 6 months old. No idea what's wrong. Mathew is finally saying some words and understands everything you say, he turns 2 in June. Couple of slow learners I have.

My daughter who's 2 now was slow getting into eating solids, had issues with choking when she did and we pureed everything to wet mush to help her along. The speech and language wifey recommended one of those wee mesh bag things that look like a dummy and put a jelly sweet in it so she would get used to chewing and moving her tongue round rather than the back forward motion for suckling.

She was bottle fed so we started weaning with a rusk mashed up with half her bottle followed by the rest of the milk.

She's an absolute lump now.

Edit to say, she turned 2 in October and still has very few words but is getting there. We had a referral in to SALT but she said to just give her more time and not to worry about it.

Guess I better join here - first child born into the world 4:51 on Thursday morning. His mum had to get an emergency section so not the most straightforward of births but he's doing ok now the wee chubber. Not a great first few days for him though, or more for me. Hes a wee star and i love him to bits, but feel so useless at the moment. I know it gets easier but seems a long way off at the moment

Day 3, and after another pretty awful night, things are getting a little better. Midwife came this morning to find him in the strop he's been in most of the night and 2 very stressed parents. After weighing him, turns out he's lost 11% of his birth weight in 2 days. Mum's been trying to breastfeed and it seemed to be going well but seems like he was getting pretty much nothing each time. So every time he cried were saying "can't be hungry" when he was just that.

Got premade bottles this morning and he's wolfed several down today, sleeping at least an hour each time. Imagine I don't need to describe how much of a relief that is to you guys :)

7098777c904b258482fb17e1ce5439b5.jpg

Murray Andrew, welcome to the world

19 minutes ago, forameus said:

Day 3, and after another pretty awful night, things are getting a little better. Midwife came this morning to find him in the strop he's been in most of the night and 2 very stressed parents. After weighing him, turns out he's lost 11% of his birth weight in 2 days. Mum's been trying to breastfeed and it seemed to be going well but seems like he was getting pretty much nothing each time. So every time he cried were saying "can't be hungry" when he was just that.

Got premade bottles this morning and he's wolfed several down today, sleeping at least an hour each time. Imagine I don't need to describe how much of a relief that is to you guys :)

Murray Andrew, welcome to the world

He's a wee smasher, bud and it's normal to lose birth weight, especially if he's breastfed.

You'll get the pair of them home soon, get in to a routine and all will be well.

He's a wee smasher, bud and it's normal to lose birth weight, especially if he's breastfed.
You'll get the pair of them home soon, get in to a routine and all will be well.

Cheers man :)

We've been home a couple of days, it was the midwife visiting. That's when the hard bit starts!

Now that we know the problem with feeding it's getting him (and us) into a routine, like you say. Then we can start getting back into the world.

Cheers man [emoji4]

We've been home a couple of days, it was the midwife visiting. That's when the hard bit starts!

Now that we know the problem with feeding it's getting him (and us) into a routine, like you say. Then we can start getting back into the world.

Delighted he's doing better chief. Hang in there.

I tried in vain for 6 weeks to breastfeed my son. Every midwife/dr/health visitor had conflicting advice. 

He just didn't gain weight. In end I introduced a bottle and mix fed. Second time round same issues and third time I was too ill to feed. Now age 4, 6 and 8 you wouldn't be able tell who got boob and who didn't!!

Breast feeding fascists among health care professionals are horrific. Our first was a 9.5 pounder and Mrs was already struggling after a difficult birth and he wouldn't take. They refused to even use the phrase 'bottle fed' and instead described it as 'other alternatives. She was starting to get really upset and the poor might was getting fractious after 18 hours and no milk at his size. In end I just went and bottle fed him. 

Yes breast is best (phnaar) but mum and babies shouldn't suffer due to this cult mantra. 

Our health visitor was pretty good with the whole breast feeding thing. She just said if you can then great but if not then don't worry about it, you've got to do what works for you. In the end my wife managed it but it was a fair struggle and tbh I would have given up if I was in her shoes. I think she felt under pressure because her sister and her mum kept going on about how easy it supposedly was. Our health visitor was basically the first person to say that it isn't always easy and it's actually very difficult for most women and quite often it simply won't happen. I think that relaxed my wife a bit and from a personal point of view I was relieved that someone was able to give her an upfront answer about it and reassure her that not being able to breast-feed doesn't make you a bad mother.

Are you a tennis fan forameus? ;)

We bottle fed. Don't think the Mrs had any intention of every breastfeeding. I know it's said 'breast is best' but these milk companies are hardly going to be churning out rubbish. It'll be just as good. A nurse practitioner told us breastfed babies tend to be up more often during the night as well. No idea if it's true but given Aila has slept 12 hours a night from the second night at home I'm certainly all for the bottle with my next one :lol:

1 hour ago, PWL said:

Breast feeding fascists among health care professionals are horrific. Our first was a 9.5 pounder and Mrs was already struggling after a difficult birth and he wouldn't take. They refused to even use the phrase 'bottle fed' and instead described it as 'other alternatives. She was starting to get really upset and the poor might was getting fractious after 18 hours and no milk at his size. In end I just went and bottle fed him. 

Yes breast is best (phnaar) but mum and babies shouldn't suffer due to this cult mantra. 

I had a midwife in hospital who also wouldn't use the words bottle fed. Arsehole. After such a shitty labour and 2 days of a screaming baby getting no milk from me I relented at 2am in the morning and asked the midwife for some formula. For the way they go on about "breast is best" the support for trying to do it in hospital was absolutely shite.

Let's face it, breast is best - but it doesn't always work out. Bottle fed is perfectly decent and less shit should be given to mothers who have to use it.

I suppose they need to be aggressive with those people that aren't bright enough to read up for themselves.

Third time round I just asked the midwives if they'd breast fed they're own. Most hadn't!

I genuinely ended up needing therapy after my second to get beyond the guilt and experience of not being able to breast feed. 

Full tum and happy mum is the most important thing.

First son, wife breast fed in hospital and as soon as we left hospital baby didn't take. No issues from midwife.
Second son straight to bottle in hospital with no issues.
Ninewells were great regarding everything. Maybe we got lucky but I can't thank them enough for everything they have done.

Similar experience to us (same hospital). My wife tried really hard to feed both of our two but they just didn't latch on properly. She then expressed for a few weeks but the pain got too much in the end. No pressure from the mid wives but my wife did probably push herself a bit too far.

You also have to remember that it's all percentages. There's absolutely no guarantee that breast fed babies will have stronger immune systems or be healthier in life. Just small percentages.

9 hours ago, Tynieness said:

Just about all my wives friends that have had babies bottle fed and as Rowan said there appears to be f**k all difference between those that are and aren't.

I agree with pretty-much everything you said and what others have said re. breastfeeding.  The only caveat I'd make is that in some countries formula milk is specifically marketed as a life-style option and a status symbol and that's absolutely shite.  It's certainly true in the Philippines where young mothers sacrifice a lot to buy formula when breastfeeding is free.  Maybe @SlipperyPwill comment re. Thailand when his hangover is better?

BUT I did like the phrase, "Just about all my wives".  How many have you currently?  I admire your stamina.  I could never manage more than one at a time ;)