Pregnancy And Parenting

George at 19 months still not mastered the sleeping through the night. I’d happily let him cry it out a little but unfortunately this wakes big brother (3 next month) as their rooms are next door. Genuinely think In 19 months he’s slept through (7-6) 5-10 times. Mental we are still functioning in all honesty.

George at 19 months still not mastered the sleeping through the night. I’d happily let him cry it out a little but unfortunately this wakes big brother (3 next month) as their rooms are next door. Genuinely think In 19 months he’s slept through (7-6) 5-10 times. Mental we are still functioning in all honesty.
I'm no expert and as my wee one has slept through all night except once (sorry) I've never had to deal with it. But if you go to him is that not making it worse as he'll cry until you arrive now?

Is there no way of letting your eldest sleep somewhere else for a week or so and letting your youngest 'cry it out'?

My wee one is now 8 months and sleeping is an issue. Dont get me wrong, she is far from a nightmare. She wakes up and the only way she will go back over is with a bottle. We had hoped when she started solids this would change. It's not!
We have been told to let her cry it out, but that is the hardest thing in the world. She is the smiliest baby ever and never cries so hearing it is heart breaking!

12 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

My wee one is now 8 months and sleeping is an issue. Dont get me wrong, she is far from a nightmare. She wakes up and the only way she will go back over is with a bottle. We had hoped when she started solids this would change. It's not!
We have been told to let her cry it out, but that is the hardest thing in the world. She is the smiliest baby ever and never cries so hearing it is heart breaking!

I didn’t have this problem but I’ve heard offering water in the bottle instead of milk helps break habit. Could be a load of codwolop though.

My youngest started moaning about a sore tummy at bedtime tonight . Told her she was at it and get into bed. 15min later she’s puking in toilet. Ops!

Appreciate the suggestions. It’s a lose lose really. Go to him and it becomes the expectation. Leave him and wake Sam who can be hit or miss at getting back to sleep once woken. It’ll get better soon, I hope...

Do you live in a two level house? If the eldest is next door, could he not sleep downstairs for a wee while until the youngest breaks the habit? Even an inflatable bed rather than the couch. They may even enjoy the change for a week or so rather than feel they've been evicted [emoji14]

My friends went at day she finished for mat leave. Like you they tested and scanned her every couple days until 35 weeks then a section which was always plan. 

If any signs infection they’ll get baby out. 

Take it easy, you’ve had a rough pregnancy.

My daughter is 6 months old today, since she was 6 weeks old she has slept 7pm - 6 am almost without fail, there was one night a fortnight ago when she woke up full of beans for some reason and my Mrs had to stay up a few hours with her but apart from that it has been an incredibly easy time and I find it hard to talk about this without sounding smug. She will no doubt turn into an absolute nightmare in the next few months.

Anyone have any experience of waters breaking early? Mine broke on Friday morning at exactly 27 weeks [emoji20] Baby is good but on bed rest and twice weekly checkups at the hospital for blood tests and scans. Just a waiting game really now.
My mate's wee one arrived after 26 weeks. She weighed 2lb and was on oxygen for a good while but she is a healthy wee girl now with no after effects. 27 weeks obviously isn't ideal and we'd all be slightly concerned but hopefully the above shows you that even so early on they are fighters and you don't have to fear the worst.

Anyone have any experience of waters breaking early? Mine broke on Friday morning at exactly 27 weeks [emoji20] Baby is good but on bed rest and twice weekly checkups at the hospital for blood tests and scans. Just a waiting game really now.
My first came 4 weeks early as hind waters(?) broke. They induced her straight away but presumably because she was so far on. Not too much to worry about from what I recall at the time, as long as theres no infection.

What are folks views on tablets(ipads)?

My wee one will be 2 this Christmas and my sister-in-law has said she's getting her one. I've said not to as she (the wee one) won't be getting it. I think my inlaw thinks I'm kidding but I'm being deadly serious.

I know they have a place in society now but at 2 years old it's fucking ridiculous IMO. Aila has her own play room and loves spending time in there with us, in her own wee world playing with her TOYS and yapping away to herself. She's at a stage now where she wants us to join in most things and I expect next year we'll be spending a lot more time with things like Lego, painting and (more difficult) jigsaws etc.

To introduce a tablet at this age feels very counter productive. I don't want her glued to a screen playing games (granted they can be educational) as I feel she should be developing her social side this early on.

I rarely see my nephews playing with toys. The eldest two are almost always on the PS4 and the youngest loves his tablet. I'm not being judgemental of people I just think these kind of things can wait. If we need to do something in the house we will plonk her in front on the tv for a bit and she watches her cartoons. Some say that's the same thing but when we turn her programmes off she'll go away and play quite the thing. I think taking a tablet away would more likely result in a screaming match.

Apologys for the rant, just felt this was the best place for it [emoji38]

My wee one will be 2 this Christmas and my sister-in-law has said she's getting her one. I've said not to as she (the wee one) won't be getting it. I think my inlaw thinks I'm kidding but I'm being deadly serious.

I know they have a place in society now but at 2 years old it's fucking ridiculous IMO. Aila has her own play room and loves spending time in there with us, in her own wee world playing with her TOYS and yapping away to herself. She's at a stage now where she wants us to join in most things and I expect next year we'll be spending a lot more time with things like Lego, painting and (more difficult) jigsaws etc.

To introduce a tablet at this age feels very counter productive. I don't want her glued to a screen playing games (granted they can be educational) as I feel she should be developing her social side this early on.

I rarely see my nephews playing with toys. The eldest two are almost always on the PS4 and the youngest loves his tablet. I'm not being judgemental of people I just think these kind of things can wait. If we need to do something in the house we will plonk her in front on the tv for a bit and she watches her cartoons. Some say that's the same thing but when we turn her programmes off she'll go away and play quite the thing. I think taking a tablet away would more likely result in a screaming match.

We bought my oldest one of they amazon kids ones at Christmas. She was 2 and a half then. We besically felt that learning how to use technology is going to be up there with learning how to read and write in terms of importance. Its just the way of the world.

That said, she gets to play with it like one hour a day maximum. No way will she be allowed to bury herself.in it for hours on end

We bought my oldest one of they amazon kids ones at Christmas. She was 2 and a half then. We besically felt that learning how to use technology is going to be up there with learning how to read and write in terms of importance. Its just the way of the world.

That said, she gets to play with it like one hour a day maximum. No way will she be allowed to bury herself.in it for hours on end
They were discussing this very thing on the tele the other day (The Wright Stuff I think) and one of the arguments For was getting them used to technology. I just don't buy that I'm afraid. I reckon if you gave a 5 year old a tablet, having never used one before. Within an hour or two they'd be a dab hand at it. They pick things up incredibly when they're younger (give a 40 year old one and it's a different matter [emoji38])

You're right though that it's about moderation. I'm just wanting her to develop her imagination first :)

If she's not asking for it I don't see the harm in not doing it yet. As you say, if she's playing happily enough why bother? Although, eventually she'll need to get used to technology.

With our oldest, she got a vtech tablet at 3 then a kindle fire at 5-6. The youngest took much younger to it and got a kids kindle fire at 3. She also plays the missus iPad quite a bit. Problem comes when you're not in control of content (the kids YouTube app is a must) or use the devices as a crutch for entertaining the kids. I've been guilty of the latter when tidying etc round the house.

They were discussing this very thing on the tele the other day (The Wright Stuff I think) and one of the arguments For was getting them used to technology. I just don't buy that I'm afraid. I reckon if you gave a 5 year old a tablet, having never used one before. Within an hour or two they'd be a dab hand at it. They pick things up incredibly when they're younger (give a 40 year old one and it's a different matter [emoji38])

You're right though that it's about moderation. I'm just wanting her to develop her imagination first [emoji4]
She (like most of them) loves playing with our phomes and tablets etc amd has done since she could pick them up. Whilst I totally agree with you, I also think tablets etc are a fantastic toy in their own right but unlike other more basic toys, they do require serious moderation. Thats where we are with it. I am a bit wary of imposing my nostalgic views of what a childhood should be onto her. Its a different time.

That said, I have seen first hand some very negative effects on kids which have (by their parents) been blamed on tablets etc so aye, I want them to enjoy what technology offers, but will be looking closely for detrimental effects.

My three use them, mainly in morning as son wakes up at 5.45am! 

We have a no screens after dinner rule as well, which isn’t too bad as we’re out most evenings at their different clubs! Exception is my son get to use auidable to listen to books. He’s dyslexic and was really struggling with reading and loosing interest. He’s listened to all the Harry Potter books and is now on the How To Train Your Dragon series. I’m not daft, I know he’s probably playing a game with it on in background! But if youvwuedtion him on the back ok he is taking it in!!

It’s a bit like sweets, they’re fine in moderation! 

Oldest got his at 3 and at first barely used it. When the second came along he got a lot more into it and when he wakes he gets up goes down and gets it and goes back to bed till he's hungry (3 and a half now) what he has learned and understands from it is incredible. I pointed out a digger to him in the car and got told no daddy that's an excavator.
Little smartarse.

Headphones are a must

Oldest got his at 3 and at first barely used it. When the second came along he got a lot more into it and when he wakes he gets up goes down and gets it and goes back to bed till he's hungry (3 and a half now) what he has learned and understands from it is incredible. I pointed out a digger to him in the car and got told no daddy that's an excavator.
Little smartarse.

Headphones are a must
Funnily enough I got told about an excavator by my 3 year old the other day too!