Pregnancy And Parenting

21 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Had to go to A&E on Thursday as my partner had felt rough on the way to work. A couple hours in there, urine and bloods seemed to be okay, but a couple of her symptoms seemed to be inline with the possibility of a ectopic pregnancy so they referred us to the early pregnancy unit to have an early scan. Went this morning, and had the scan, and everything looks to be on track which was really emotional and lovely. My partner is a bit confused as by going from her period she thought she was 8 weeks, but from the measurements they did, they reckoned around 6 weeks and a few days. Showed us the heartbeat, so have breathed a sigh of relief! We have our first midwife appointment on Friday, but the 12 week scan will now be moved back to mid September.

I am still in the midst of looking for a new job, really want to get that sorted as I am feeling a bit stressed out, but I am sure it will all work out. 

Don't worry - everything will be fine.

Got that done about 10 years ago, still traumatised by the trip back. Got mines done in Stracathro (Brechin) and i felt every, single bump on the way back down the road. I’m sure Mrs B was heading for them deliberately.

17 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

Got that done about 10 years ago, still traumatised by the trip back. Got mines done in Stracathro (Brechin) and i felt every, single bump on the way back down the road. I’m sure Mrs B was heading for them deliberately.

Haha stracathro is ten minutes from my house but i had to go to larbert to get it done. Nice two hour drive home 

Must be some sadistic b*****d in the Nhs organising it all. The vic is a 20 minute drive from my house and was still doing it at that time, yet they sent me 90 odd minutes up the road to Stracathro for it. Have never noticed how much speed bumps there are coming through Dundee. 

On 01/04/2014 at 11:10, scottsdad said:

OK, so on Saturday morning I went in for my vasectomy. In terms of what happened and so on, I think it would be right for me just to be straight and honest.

Arrived at the hospital on tine (8.30 on Saturday morning). The nurse told my wife I'd be 45 mins to an hour, so the wife went shopping and left me to it. Got changed in to a gown and then a nurse took me to a room to ask me some basic questions (have you eaten today, have you had diarrhea in the last week, have you ever had scrotum surgery, etc.). Then back to the waiting room for a while before being taken in.

In the room was a bed I hopped up on. The doctor, Mr Taylor, went over a few things (it's irreversible, you may experience bruising or swelling, it may get infected, etc.). Then I lay back and it started. One nurse covered me in iodine (stomach, legs, twig and berries - all over). Two nurses stayed at the top end to talk to me while the doctor and other nurse went to work.

Mr Taylor strated on the right. He felt around for the tubes and injected the anaesthetic. Like the dentist, this was the worst bit - a wee scratch. I felt a little tugging in the groin as he worked, but the two nurses did a good job of keeping my mind off it. At one stage I looked down and saw him putting in the stitches.

Then he moved to the other side and same again, the sore jab. This time, though, it was sore when he started work so I needed a top up of the anaesthetic. Squirming in my seat now thinking about that. It was the worst bit. All in all, took about 10 minutes each side. Then they cleaned me up, put a swab over the bawbag and left me for 10 minutes. A nurse brought me a cup of coffee and I sat waiting. Then the nurse checked my wounds and I got dressed and could leave. All in all 1 hour 10 minutes, of which 20 were spent having it done.

I felt absolutely fine afterwards. Left the hospital with my wife and we even did a little shopping. About 2 hours later the aching started and I took some ibuprofen. For the rest of the weekend, and even now, I was a little slow to move. It was sorest when I bent down or bent back.

I got a letter home with me and have to produce a "sample" in 12 weeks. The letter states, in black and white, "you should have intercourse as often as possible to expel any remaining sperm". I showed my wife this letter, and tonight will frame it above the bed.

Sunday morning the wife woke me up to see if things were functioning. Then came the most pathetic excuse for sex ever. It was painful to thrust or move, and I had to set the really slow pace. Like mice having sex I suppose, and I was genuinely worried about finishing. I needn't have been though. Plumbing works fine. Once the sore nuts subsides business as normal will resume.

So all in all, the procedure was fine, most of saturday was fine. Sunday was like this:

My own 'snip' story from (jings) ten years ago.

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

My own 'snip' story from (jings) ten years ago.

The second time I've got half way through that, felt like I was gonna vomit and then stopped. The idea of getting the snip fills me with utter horror I could probably pass out thinking about it. 

3 minutes ago, thistledo said:

The second time I've got half way through that, felt like I was gonna vomit and then stopped. The idea of getting the snip fills me with utter horror I could probably pass out thinking about it. 

Once you get past your tubes getting a sharp injection into them, it's plain sailing. 

That said I'm sure someone on 'The Snip' thread once talked about the surgeon slicing open the bawbag and his tubes spilling out like worms. 

16 minutes ago, thistledo said:

What's the worst that can happen?

14 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

That said I'm sure someone on 'The Snip' thread once talked about the surgeon slicing open the bawbag and his tubes spilling out like worms. 

And there's the answer! 

9 hours ago, thistledo said:

Genuinely it’s a piece of piss. I’ve done a 5km walk and gym session today 

When I got the snip NHS Tayside had a significant backlog, so I get sent to a private clinic in Edinburgh. Got a general anaesthetic, didn’t feel a thing! Few days of a dull ache afterwards, and I had the odd twinge in the months that followed, but overall nothing to worry about.

One of my mates, however, ended up with a clot following his and his bollock swelled up to the size of a grapefruit. 

10 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

When I got the snip NHS Tayside had a significant backlog, so I get sent to a private clinic in Edinburgh. Got a general anaesthetic, didn’t feel a thing! Few days of a dull ache afterwards, and I had the odd twinge in the months that followed, but overall nothing to worry about.

One of my mates, however, ended up with a clot following his and his bollock swelled up to the size of a grapefruit. 

For the snip?

What did they use, garden shears?

I got told I was on waiting list for snip and it would take about a year for referral. I got a letter and a phone conversation in May which was 15 months after I initially contacted then I got told 12 weeks at least til I got a confirmed date and then another 16 weeks til I’d be sterile. I don’t think I can’t be arsed with doing it anymore.

Must be about 30 years since I had mine in Stracathro and it was absolutely plain sailing. I got a general anaesthetic on the Friday and back to work on the Monday. 

On 05/08/2024 at 18:12, LondonHMFC said:

Went this morning, and had the scan, and everything looks to be on track which was really emotional and lovely. My partner is a bit confused as by going from her period she thought she was 8 weeks, but from the measurements they did, they reckoned around 6 weeks and a few days. Showed us the heartbeat, so have breathed a sigh of relief!

Glad to read this - I know exactly the sort of feelings that you both must have had in that intervening period, having been through it a couple of times...

My wife maintains that first trimester is by far the worst - so fingers crossed for you both!