The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Response to the SD spoilers and what folk have said about them:

Dolph Ziggler is absolute class, he's brilliant in the ring and his mic work is coming along a treat. He looked like a star in the mini Cena feud and with the utter dross on SD he should be main eventing.

Don't see any need to have him drop the US title to Kofi Kingston the now though, Kingston has tried and failed on so many occasions recently. It stinks of this being made up very quickly. Not been following SD enough recently to tell you any other midcard faces they could've chucked it on, suppose Kaval would've done.

The SD chamber looks like being Edge-Ziggler-Barrett-Big Show-Kane-Del Rio then? Unless Taker's back that is

I'd take one of the heels, really not sure which, for Rey Mysterio.

Just watched Smackdown(31st) was pretty decent. I was wondering why they had Edge and Rey against Del Rio and Kane 3rd last but then the main event came on; Ziggler, Kingston and Swagger in a three-way for the IC. It was amazing.

About tomorrow's SD

That match has made me think that Ziggler could cut it in the main picture, he was getting some major heat at the start and when he stole his win he was getting booed heavily as well. Kingston was getting major noise as well, one nearfall in particular, the closest one, raised the roof. Although how many IC matches has Kingston had recently? One tomorrow, one last week, one at TLC and he had one before TLC, IIRC, bit extensive for him to have lost them all then suddenly win it, not that I'm complaining because I think he's amazing. I think in a few years he could possibly win the World title, if the roster is (just as)weak.

What is up with the commentary on SD though? It's a lot worse in terms of actual commenting on the matches. Cole said something along the lines of "tonight McIntyre is gonna eat this kid for lunch" and there was something that Stryker said that I've forgotten but it was really wrong. Although it is a lot more jocular, and they make wee comments about each other which is kinda funny but seems a lot less professional.

Also wtf are the wee snidey(snidy?) remarks about Kaval. Cole said something then Matthews referred to the time it took for McIntyre to beat him. No need for that at all, maybe I'm overreacting but seemed really unprofessional. I mean its not Silvestry's fault that WWE couldn't use him, or weren't gonna use him.

NXT is more of a sort of smarky attitude to commentary anyways, so I'd assume that things are a lot looser there as far as professionalism goes.

As for comments...

Don't get me wrong. Ziggler is a very good wrestler, but is he on the main event level yet? Why don't we just throw Daniel Bryan into a match with The Miz at the Rumble while we're at it?

This seems more like an experiment. I think the John Morrison experiment actually went pretty well so here's hoping that Dolph Ziggler can have a good time of it.

NXT is more of a sort of smarky attitude to commentary anyways, so I'd assume that things are a lot looser there as far as professionalism goes.

As for comments...

Don't get me wrong. Ziggler is a very good wrestler, but is he on the main event level yet? Why don't we just throw Daniel Bryan into a match with The Miz at the Rumble while we're at it?

This seems more like an experiment. I think the John Morrison experiment actually went pretty well so here's hoping that Dolph Ziggler can have a good time of it.

Bryan isn't main eventing yet whilst Ziggler is because:

1) Ziggler has a better look

2) Ziggler is better on the mic

3) Ziggler is on the weaker of the two shows (probably the biggest factor in all honesty)

I really like Bryan, don't get me wrong, but I feel Ziggler is ahead of him at the moment. I think both could be future World Champions.

Arguable point on being better on the mic, but I'd certainly agree that he has a better look. So does Kozlov though, and is he going to be thrown into a main event any time soon?

My point is that while good, neither man is really a main eventer. I'd have been just as well using Chris Masters as an example, being the symbol of solidarity in the ring these days.

I think Ziggler would make a great heel champion, if they did it right. But I imagine they won't. For some reason the utter fucking idiots at WWE don't want to create new headliners, and make new champs look weak. Look at CM Punk as champ, especially his first title. Sheamus was booked to be rank, Swagger's title run was a joke and The Miz had to have the help of a commentator to beat a 61 year old commentator. New champs are not being given clean, strong wins over anyone meaningful and so fans just couldn't care less.

The biggest spot is unquestionably the Shane McMahon jump. Of course, it's not even CLOSE to being the best. The mystique of that spot was already ruined at Summerslam the previous year.

The Mankind coming off the cell spot remains the ultimate great spot. No matter how many times you look at it, from no matter how many angles, it's brutal.

Points to Jeff Hardy for the Impact Zone jump during a four way Monsters Ball.

Aye they done something similar but on a lesser scale with Steve Blackman and a kendo stick?

Agree however the main reason Mankind's spot was more special, and I maybe being a bit critical here, was because of the unpredictablity of the move. As oppose to Shane who just kept climbing and climbing....and climbing.

I always laugh when I see the Jerry Lawler interview where he says "he was able to move is body and protect himself" from the fall when comparing the chokeslam through the cell and the first spot.

Either that, Makind going off the top of the Cell through the announce table, or Rikishi getting chokeslammed off the top of the Cell.

Shane O'Mac's jump was particularly special for me because he blessed himself before he did it, the slight pause hammered home how mental a moment it was. I was a huge Shane McMahon mark, the guy was a psycho and seemed to be willing to anything. His promos on "the Big Slow" (which way did he go etc) were top notch too.

Mankind's obviously insane but JR's commentary helps make it.

I was a Shane O Mac mark as well, the guy was willing to do almost anything...see match at King of the Ring 2001 with Kurt Angle which is probably in my top 3 matches of that year, the ending to that match was impressive, the Angle slam off the platform that was placed on the turnbuckle. WWE knew how to book him and to good effect, have him get beat up so badly then let him perform a huge spot here or there. Infact did Shane have a bad match in 2001?

Edited by The Hero of the Day

Aye they done something similar but on a lesser scale with Steve Blackman and a kendo stick?

Yup, and you pure seen the matting on two of the angles. Could you imagine how ridiculously good that Backlash spot would have been if you hadn't seen that?

Agree however the main reason Mankind's spot was more special, and I maybe being a bit critical here, was because of the unpredictablity of the move. As oppose to Shane who just kept climbing and climbing....and climbing.

The other problem for me with the Shane jump was that I was never thinking "he's not going to do that is he?!", more like "ah, we've been here before". Albeit not from that height, but I knew he had a cracking landing.

I always laugh when I see the Jerry Lawler interview where he says "he was able to move is body and protect himself" from the fall when comparing the chokeslam through the cell and the first spot.

See, Mick Foley always said that the first spot wasn't that bad, while the second spot was unplanned and completely fucked his body up.

I was a Shane O Mac mark as well, the guy was willing to do almost anything...see match at King of the Ring 2001 with Kurt Angle which is probably in my top 3 matches of that year, the ending to that match was impressive, the Angle slam off the platform that was placed on the turnbuckle.

As crazy as the glass spots were, it was that last Angle Slam that made me REALLY shocked.

The chair smacking him in the chin wasn't his only bother. The landing concussed him on it's own. Plus, a wrestling ring is fucking solid, so falling from that height onto it flat backed was never going to end well.

See, Mick Foley always said that the first spot wasn't that bad, while the second spot was unplanned and completely fucked his body up.

As crazy as the glass spots were, it was that last Angle Slam that made me REALLY shocked.

I know the second spot was unplanned but I'm interested in how the match would have continued if Foley was only chokeslammed on the the top of the cell.

Both wrestlers actually made each other look like a million dollars. Can't say that for many Kurt Angle matches.

Accoring to Matt Hardy, he was released from his contract a couple weeks before it was announced on WWE.com, meaning he would be allowed to appear at Genesis. No words that he's signed for TNA though.

Genesis:

Seems they've taken Jarrett/Angle off the card for Genesis, might be re-added depending on Impact.

Edited by forehead7

The winner of this season of NXT will get a tag team title shot with their pro as their partner.

I'm quite liking Derrick Bateman on NXT, am I remembering right that his pro is Daniel Bryan?, I quite like (Johnny?) Curtis as well though.

I'm quite liking Derrick Bateman on NXT, am I remembering right that his pro is Daniel Bryan?, I quite like (Johnny?) Curtis as well though.

Bateman is the best of the bunch but that's not saying much. He's the only guy they haven't had win a match yet though - much like Daniel Bryan himself in NXT.

Apart from Bateman, the only one I can really see doing anything worthwhile in WWE is the big guy - Brodus Clay.

I knew Novak was for the chuck the minute Billy Gunn dropped him as his rookie. He was certainly the blandest of the lot. Any mans game at the minute I think. I think there could be a gimmick there for Connor O'Brien as a locker room rat who always spreads trouble between partners etc.