The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

I thought it was really good last night too. The triple threat X division match was great. Kid Kash looks like he still has a lot to offer.

I don't know who else they have planned from I definitely would love to see Austin Aries back in TNA.

This video somes up everything I love about him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fD7ocPhOTo&feature=related

The pendulum elbow is great. When he kicked Kash or Rave in the face to break the fall, that's when the video I was watching of it stopped and I was absolutely gutting myself.

I'd hope that in this series we'd see Lethal, Sonjay Dutt, Petey Williams and Jerry Lynn taking part.

Has anyone else seen the best of Nitro DVD set? I've just finished watching it and it really brought back some great memories as I was a huge WCW fan back in the day. Some of the matches and angles were brilliant, especially the stuff from the early days of the NWO. I was also reminded of how awesome DDP and his entrance music was! However by disc 3 it is really obvious that WCW was on a downward slope, inspired by Russo. I also found it interesting that there is no censoring of Benoit at all on this, he is shown and named on several occasions and his full entrance is shown when the Horsemen reunited.

It's a really great DVD set and I urge anyone with an interest in 90's wrestling to get hold of it, it's amazing to see how far WCW was ahead of the WWF between 96 and 98. I might even tune into Cartoon Network on Friday night at 9pm in the hope that TNT comes on with a new episode of Nitro! :lol:

I've been working my way through the 1996 Nitros. I've reached the point where Nash and Hall are in, and they've named their opponents for Bash at the Beach 1996. It's all good.

Anyways, ICW Never Mind the Baws... is a week on Sunday, and has the biggest match to happen in a Scottish indy for quite some time...

Main Event

The Gold Label ( Lionheart, James Scott, Red Lightning and Wolfgang ) vs. Team ICW ( Jack Jester, BT Gunn, Chris Renfrew and Kid Fite )

Zero G Championship

Noam Dar © vs. Falcon

Match 3 in the Best of 5

Liam Thomson vs. Andy Wild

Joe Coffey vs. Vinnie James

The Bucky Boys vs. The STI

Sean South vs. Christopher Rampage

Carmel vs. Kay Lee Ray

Rob Cage vs. The Highlander vs. Johnny Starr vs. Scott Maverick

Admittedly, the match is a bit top sided. The top four matches are all potential show stealers. Everything from the 5th match down has potential to disappoint, but this is ICW and that means at least one of them matches WILL steal the show.

Has anyone else seen the best of Nitro DVD set? I've just finished watching it and it really brought back some great memories as I was a huge WCW fan back in the day. Some of the matches and angles were brilliant, especially the stuff from the early days of the NWO. I was also reminded of how awesome DDP and his entrance music was! However by disc 3 it is really obvious that WCW was on a downward slope, inspired by Russo. I also found it interesting that there is no censoring of Benoit at all on this, he is shown and named on several occasions and his full entrance is shown when the Horsemen reunited.

It's a really great DVD set and I urge anyone with an interest in 90's wrestling to get hold of it, it's amazing to see how far WCW was ahead of the WWF between 96 and 98. I might even tune into Cartoon Network on Friday night at 9pm in the hope that TNT comes on with a new episode of Nitro! :lol:

It's definitely one of the ones I'd like to get. I didn't see much WCW stuff back in the day (grew up on the WWF), but the stuff I've seen on Youtube etc since I got back into the wrestling in the last 18 months or so is decent (or at the very least crazy enough to be of entertainment value).

The odd bit I did see was if I was still somehow in control of my parents' TV on a Friday night and was watching Cartoon Network. All I really remember was thinking that Scott Hall was the coolest man on the planet and that Goldberg was the hardest man who'd ever lived.

I have found out that my mum and dad are thinking about getting rid of sky. So I might not be able to watch the wrestling again or the Football.

At least they let you know. I sat down to watch Raw last week and found out when the channel wasn't there haha.

It's just what he's saying. He's constantly making jokes, which aren't even a little bit funny. Fat jokes at Vicki when she's shed a tonne of weight. He mentioned his father and his son so many times at CP and on Raw in a jocular way, he's just repetitive.

Not just that. He took the hump when the Bella's slagged of Kharma for being fat.

For years, YEARS, he's made fat jokes about Vickie Guerrero and now that a face is being called fat, fat jokes are crossing a line?

Josh Matthews is the only good commentator on Raw or Smackdown, I don't watch Superstars or NXT. Regal's on NXT, isn't he? Does anyone know if he's any good?

For years, YEARS, he's made fat jokes about Vickie Guerrero and now that a face is being called fat, fat jokes are crossing a line?

To be fair, that's not exactly his fault. In that case he's got orders to follow.

Oh, sorry for the quick double post, but with my edit being knackered, I have to do it. I feel the need to note Josh Matthews definately has a future at it. He's natural as f**k behind the desk.

Oh, sorry for the quick double post, but with my edit being knackered, I have to do it. I feel the need to note Josh Matthews definately has a future at it. He's natural as f**k behind the desk.

Wholeheartedly agree, when him and Cole were on NXT season two it was some of the best commentary I've heard on WWE for ages. Probably only bested by Punk's stint in the past year or so.

Seems like he knows his stuff. When he was on Raw and he'd give the facts about Del Rio's latest car, it genuinely seemed like he knew the stuff off the top of his head. When Michael Cole does it now, you can tell he's reading it off a sheet.

ROH The Conclusion

We're approaching the end of 2003 in ROH. I'm both a little disappointed and a little relieved. Disappointed because it's been nice to look back at some of the matches which helped to shape what ROH would become in their best years. Relieved because there wasn't half some dead wood on these shows.

The Outkast Killaz vs. The Backseat Boyz ( * )

John Walters vs. Homicide ( ***1/2 )

Hotstuff Hernandez and Fast Eddie vs. The SAT vs. The Carnage Crew vs. Special K - Scramble Match ( ***3/4 )

Jimmy Rave vs. Christopher Daniels ( ***1/2 )

Steve Corino vs. Josh Daniels ( *** )

Xavier vs. Matt Stryker ( *** )

BJ Whitmer vs. Dan Maff vs. Colt Cabana ( ***1/4 )

The Briscoes © vs. AJ Styles and Samoa Joe - ROH Tag Team Championships ( **** )

CM Punk vs. Raven - Steel Cage Match ( ***3/4 )

The Outkast Killaz vs. The Backseat Boyz

The Killaz now go at it with Kash and then a shot to Kash in the corner and an Assisted Dropkick from Diablo. Nice move on Acid. Oman then works on Acid. Kicks from the Backseats and then Clotheslines and I hate watching them do the same shit and get away with it. Double Back Elbow and Double Elbow Drop and then Double Dropkick from the Backseats. Missile Dropkick off the top from Acid and the fans are enjoying this one so far. T-GIMMICK ON DIABLO ... Oman saves his partner and they head for the floor. The Backseats go out to get them. Clothesline from Diablo to Kash as Oman gets into the ring. Acid sends Diablo into the railing and then hits the ropes. Diablo grabs a foot. Oman slams Acid onto his front and then Kash comes in with right hands. Russian Leg Sweep/Yakuza Kick combo from the Killaz and then they work over Acid. Diablo gets dumped over the top rope. HUGE CRUCIFIX NECKBREAKER FROM THE BACKSEATS !!! ONE ! TWO ! KICKOUT !!! Kash gets behind Diablo and then they have something. THE DREAM SEQUENCE FROM THE BACKSEATS !!! YAKUZA KICK FROM ACID TO DIABLO !!! T-GIMMICK ON OMAN !!! ONE ! TWO ! THREE !!!

That was just a spot-filled showcase for both teams and there was nothing even close to a story between them. It was fun I suppose but I want more. *

John Walters vs. Homicide

Homicide goes behind with the Hammerlock and then Headlock Takedown. They now lock hands and Walters takes down Homicide and works on the arm. Arm Drag from Homicide and the fans appreciate that. Into the corner they go and Walters with a right hand and then Walters with a takedown and a Head Scissors from Homicide and then Walters takes him over and that gets a two count. Lockup and into the corner they go and Walters slaps Homicide. Snapmare from Walters and then a Head Scissor and Homicide turns out and goes to the hair and Walters reaches the bottom rope. Homicide then slaps Walters and now they lockup and then Walters slaps him again and a Snap Suplex from Walters and that gets a two count. Lockup and Homicide takes down Walters and looks for a pin and doesn't get it. Walters gets a Body Scissor in and Homicide reaches the bottom rope. Walters then backs away from Homicide into the corner. Snapmare and a kick to the back from Homicide and there's a lot of anger in this match. Lockup and Walters with some of the same and then he goes and stretches the arms and then locks in something of a Full Nelson with his legs and Homicide reaches the bottom rope. Forearm and a Headlock from Homicide and then he charges down Walters. Arm Drags from Homicide and then Walters stops one and lands a Dropkick. Good fluent action here. Homicide heads for the floor. WALTERS FOLLOWS HIM OUT WITH THE SUICIDE DIVE !!! Homicide then with the back rake. Walters into the ropes and he hits the breaks and then he misses a kick and then a nice submission on the back over the middle rope. Walters now has the leg and he goes to the Indian Deathlock. Homicide with a Body Slam and then he heads up and Walters puts a stop to that. TOP ROPE SUPERPLEX FROM WALTERS !!! The back of Walters is busted open pretty badly. Not quite Bob Holly bad. Back Drop Suplex from Walters. Knee Drop to the back of the head from Homicide. Walters goes to the floor to try and get some breathing space. Neckbreaker from Homicide gets a two count. Piledriver from Homicide drops Walters right on his head and that gets a two count. Northern Lariat from Homicide. Release German Suplex from Walters is stopped and Homicide lands a Dropkick. TOPE CON HILO FROM HOMICIDE !!! Back into the ring they now go and into the corner. Walters to the apron and he lands a forearm and then a Missile Dropkick and that gets a two count. Forearms from Walters and then he ducks a shot and Homicide rolls through. Back Body Drop from Walters. BACKPACK STUNNER FROM WALTERS !!! ONE ! TWO ! KICKOUT !!! To the feet and Homicide takes down Walters and drops an elbow on the back of the head. To the corner they now go. TORNADO DDT ... stopped. KUDO DRIVER ... blocked. WALTERS WITH THE LUNGBLOWER !!! DRAGON SUPLEX FROM WALTERS !!! ONE ! TWO ! THRE ... KICKOUT !!! Neckbreaker. LARIAT FROM HOMICIDE !!! ONE ! TWO ! THR ... KICKOUT !!! THE STF !!! WALTERS TAPS !!!

The action was very fluid and I feel that they got exactly what they wanted from this match. John Walters looked like a real technician in there and Homicide had big trouble with him. ***1/2

Hotstuff Hernandez and Fast Eddie vs. The SAT vs. The Carnage Crew vs. Special K - Scramble Match

I like the looks of this one, I have to say. Vito starts this one with Jose. Jose wears a red knee pad which helps us differenciate. Headlock from Vito and he's sent to the ropes and he charges down Jose. Jose gets up and gets charged down a second time. Jose with an Enziguri to change the tide of the match very quickly. Right hands from Jose and then a kick to the gut and a Spinning Heel Kick and that gets a two count. Right hands from Jose and then he just gets slammed down. Vito with Crossface Forearms. Suplex DDT from Vito and that gets a two count. That was a nice exchange and in comes Joel. Vito plays around with Eddie and then tags him into the match. Headlock from Joel. Joel into the ropes and he rolls over Eddie and lands a Running Rana into the corner. Chops from Joel and then he sweeps down Eddie. Springboard DDT from Eddie and that gets a two count. Kick to the back of the head of Joel and then Loc comes in. Cloudy and Dixie come in and so do the Crew. Loc and Dixie are left and a big Back Body Drop from Loc. Cloudy back into the ring and he gets tossed back down. Hernandez is now in the ring and he chops the life out of Cloudy. Cloudy comes back with a boot. CHOKE SUPLEX FROM HERNANDEZ !!! SPIRAL FUCKING BOMB ON DIXIE !!! In comes Eddie who springs off of the feet of Hernandez. Double Back Drop Suplex from Hernandez. CARNAGE PLEX ON EDDIE !!! In comes Dixie now. Front Suplex from Dixie and a Top Rope Leg Drop from Cloudy gets a two count and then in come the SAT and they catch Cloudy. THE WASHING MACHINE ON CLOUDY !!! Dropkick from Vito and then a Release Fisherman Suplex and then Hernandez comes into the ring. NORTHERN LIGHTS SUPLEX INTO THE CORNER FROM VITO !!! Joel with an Ace Crusher on Vito and then Superkicks on Hernandez. They try something and that doesn't work. DOOMSDAY DDT ON HERNANDEZ FROM SAT !!! ONE ! TWO ! THR ... EDDIE MAKES THE SAVE !!! Joel and Dixie go at it. Wheelbarrow X-Factor. TOMBSTONE FROM EDDIE !!! Swinging Neckbreaker from Loc. BRUTAL LARIAT FROM HERNANDEZ TO LOC !!! BORDER TOSS SENDS EDDIE ONTO THE GUYS ON THE FLOOR !!! HERNANDEZ WITH THE BIG PLANCHA OVER THE TOP ROPE !!! The distance he gets on that dive is absolutely insane. Hydro heads up and gets caught up there and the SAT now have him. SPANISH FLY ON HYDRO !!! ONE ! TWO ! THREE !!!

That wee spell with Hernandez is up there with the best moments in a Scramble Match ever. The action was a bit faster than I've been used to from these matches. Major kudos for some great action. ***3/4

Jimmy Rave vs. Christopher Daniels

This can't be happening, can it? I hate Jimmy Rave at the best of times. Daniels to a fan: "f**k up assbag." :lol: Rave wants a handshake and Daniels decides not to rub that idea in his face. They now circle and lockup and a Headlock from Daniels. Headlock Takedown and a Side Headlock from Daniels. Rave escapes and goes to the arm of Daniels as you would expect. Rave with the Hammerlock. Daniels then goes to the Side Headlock. Rave tries to get some two counts from this and then he goes to the Head Scissors. Daniels escapes and then a Side Headlock. Rave battles to his feet and then goes to the Arm Ringer. The fans get behind Daniels, mainly because they don't want to get behind Jimmy Rave. Arm Drags from Rave and then a kick to the arm and then another Arm Drag and an Arm Bar and the fans seem to be getting behind Rave a wee bit more. Rave then with the Arm Ringer and then the Arm Bar and then Daniels into the ropes and he kicks Rave. Rave with the takedown and the Fujiwara Armbar but stands with him and goes right back to the Arm Bar. Choosing to do the same move is a good tactic. Arm Drag from Daniels. RAVE GOES TO THE CROSS ARMBREAKER !!! Daniels finds the bottom rope quickly but the damage might be done. Rave with some right hands to the arm and then a Northern Lights Suplex and then he rolls through and goes to the Cross Armbreaker and Danger gets on the ring apron and Rave pushes Danger down. Daniels then sent over the top rope. Baseball Slide from Daniels. Rave is then sent into the railing. Back into the ring they go now and a Body Slam from Daniels and then more of the same. Kicks to the back from Daniels again. Suplex from Daniels and then a Slingshot Elbow Drop into the Crossface and Rave finds the bottom rope. The fans are getting into this one now and Daniels is a bit miffed at the swing in mood. Into the corner they go and Daniels with chops in the corner. Forearms from Rave now and then he runs into a boot. Spear to the back from Daniels. Daniels then goes to the back of Rave. Backbreaker from Daniels and then he stretches the back of Rave over the knee. Enziguri from Daniels when Rave finds his way to his feet and that gets a two count. Blue Thunder Driver from Daniels and that gets a two count. ANGEL'S WINGS ... Rave counters with the Back Body Drop. RUNNING KNEE TO THE HEAD FROM RAVE !!! Rave now with big chops and then Daniels into the ropes and a Powerslam from Rave. STO Backbreaker and then a Back Drop Suplex and that gets a two count. Downward Spiral from Daniels. ARABIAN PRESS TO THE BACK FROM DANIELS !!! ONE ! TWO ! KICKOUT !!! Rave then blocks a Suplex as Rave is injured. Reverse DDT from Rave and that gets a two count. Rave now comes back with chops. Backslide from Daniels and that gets a two and then Rave with a cradle for two. Standing Rock Bottom is blocked. TILT-A-WHIRL CROSSFACE ... COUNTERED TO THE STO !!! THE BEST MOONSAULT EVER FROM DANIELS !!! THE LAST RITES !!! ONE ! TWO ! THREE !!!

This match just breezed by which is never a bad sign. Jimmy Rave wasn't overly impressive, but he played his part well. Daniels was as fluid as ever and he continued his run of matches in ROH which did just that. ***1/2

Steve Corino vs. Josh Daniels

Lockup and into the corner they go and we have a clean break from that. Daniels looks for the arm of Corino and then we have a reversal. Daniels goes to the Arm Bar and Corino reaches the bottom rope. Into the corner goes Corino. Lockup and then Daniels with a Headlock. Headlock Takedown and a Side Headlock and then Daniels tries to battle his way out of the move. Front Facelock from Daniels and then Corino finds the bottom rope and then Corino to the floor and he threatens a fan with a chair. We now have a Headlock from Daniels and then they collide in the middle of the ring. Abdominal Stretch from Corino and then a Back Drop Suplex from Daniels is nicely done. Snap Suplex from Daniels and that gets a two count and then he heads for the top rope and he funnily misses a Cross Body and Corino with the Dropkick. Body Slam and then Corino with some stomps. Corino then chokes Daniels over the bottom rope. Daniels then comes back with chops and then Corino sends him into the corner and goes to the eyes. Corino now clubs on the back of Daniels but then he comes back into the match so Corino goes to the eyes. Piledriver from Corino and that gets a two count. Northern Lights Suplex from Daniels out of nowhere gets a two count. Corino into the ropes and Daniels with the Clothesline and there was definately a hint of the Benoits in that. Into the corner goes Daniels and then Corino with a Running Forearm and then he heads for the top rope. Daniels stops Corino up there but then gets sent to the canvas. Daniels doesn't give up too easily and goes up there continually. TOP ROPE SUPERPLEX FROM DANIELS !!! ONE ! TWO ! KICKOUT !!! Low blow from Corino and then he hits the ropes and runs into a Back Elbow. GERMAN SUPLEX FROM DANIELS !!! ONE ! TWO ! KICKOUT !!! BRUTAL LARIAT FROM CORINO !!! ONE ! TWO ! THR ... KICKOUT !!! LARIAT AGAIN ... blocked. NORTHERN LIGHTS BOMB FROM CORINO !!! ONE ! TWO ! THR ... KICKOUT !!! Chops from Corino and then from Daniels. Daniels now unloads. COLBYKAZE FROM CORINO !!! ONE ! TWO ! THR ... KICKOUT !!! BRAINBUSTER !!! ONE ! KICKOUT !!! Josh Daniels is showing all sorts of spirit and now the fans are into this one. Slaps vs. chops and then Daniels just slaps back. Chuck grabs Daniels. SUPERKICK FROM CORINO !!! The referee then refuses to make the count because of the interference. HOMICIDE RUNS INTO THE RING !!! SUPER ACE CRUSHER !!! DANIELS WITH THE FLYING HEADBUTT !!! ONE ! TWO ! THREE !!!

The match loses a bit of steam towards the end. The nearfalls just weren't being bought at all. The referee's decision not to count the pinfall when Chuck got involved was a load of crap. The fans loved the idea of the Josh Daniels win though. ***

Xavier vs. Matt Stryker

The fans get on the back of Xavier. This match SHOULD be different from the nonsense matches we've seen from the Field of Honor so far. Lockup and into the corner they go. We have a clean break from that, which is very unlike Xavier. Lockup and Matt with the Full Nelson and then a European Uppercut. Lockup and Xavier goes to the arm and then an Arm Ringer and a European Uppercut from Xavier and Matt asks Xavier if that's all he's got. Lockup and a Headlock from Matt. Front Facelock from Matt as well and then Xavier goes to the Arm Ringer and Matt then with a Hammerlock and a Headlock. Shoulder Tackle gets a two count for Matt and then the Headlock Takedown and a Side Headlock. Xavier battles to his feet and takes down Matt and goes to the Arm Ringer. Matt with a BRUTAL forearm and then he and Xavier go at it with fire and then Matt with a Headlock Takedown and a Side Headlock. Matt charges down Xavier and then hits the ropes and gets a Crucifix and that gets a two count and now a Headlock Takedown and Side Headlock from Matt. Xavier gets back to his feet again and Matt avoids a Suplex, and then uses the corner to take Xavier back to the canvas. Side Headlock from Matt. Back to the feet they go and into the corner they go and Xavier with a chop and then more of the same. Yet more chopping and then right hands from Xavier and then a shot to the back. Xavier hits the breaks and he crotches Matt on the top rope and then lands some right hands. Matt then falls to the floor when he frees himself. Xavier then mocks Matt, holding the ropes open for him. Matt onto the apron and then he gets knocked off and into the railing. Xavier then goes to the floor to capitalize and lands some right hands. Back into the ring and some right hands and chops. IED from Xavier. Matt now comes back with chops of his own so Xavier with a big knee and then a forearm to the back and then knees to the back of the head and a Reverse Suplex into a Camel Clutch. Xavier then rakes the eyes then he goes to the nose. Xavier now goes for the Cross Armbreaker and Matt battles out. Right hands and then Matt fights back into the match. Matt with forearms and a chop and then Xavier takes him down with the big clubbing blow and that gets a two count. Knee Drop from Xavier and then he heads for the top rope. MATT COMES BACK WITH A POP UP SUPLEX OFF THE TOP !!! Right hands from both Matt and Xavier and then Matt and Xavier unleash big shots. Back Elbow from Matt and then a Clothesline. KISS YOUR X GOODBYE ... Matt avoids that. BRUTAL ROARING ELBOW FROM MATT !!! LIONSAULT FROM STRYKER !!! ONE ! TWO ! THR ... KICKOUT !!! The fans are getting right behind Matt here. European Uppercuts and chops from Matt and then a big Back Elbow again. Suplex and the floatover gets a two count for Matt. Matt and Xavier now with right hands. Powerslam from Matt and that gets a two count. Thumb to the eye from Xavier. Sunset Flip from Matt and then we have a wee pinfall exchange between them. XAVIER WITH THE CRADLE !!! ONE ! TWO ! THR ... KICKOUT !!! Big Boot from Matt. THE STRYKER LOCK !!! Xavier is now going for the ropes and he stops himself from tapping and then reaches the bottom rope. Into the corner and Xavier comes back with a boot. LA MAGISTRAL CRADLE ... COUNTERED FROM MATT !!! ONE ! TWO ! THRE ... KICKOUT !!! Matt with a series of forearms. THE DEATH VALLEY DRIVER FROM MATT !!! ONE ! TWO ! THREE !!!

That was a nice wee match and like I thought, wasn't the usual move for move battle that we seen in the FoH. They were given the time and freedom to go out and tell a good story. ***

BJ Whitmer vs. Dan Maff vs. Colt Cabana

Cabana wants the handshake from Maff again like he did the last time around but he isn't as insistant as he was. They all lock hands now and then Cabana backs away from that and Whitmer and Maff realise what happened and land a Double Clothesline. Headbutt from Whitmer to Cabana and then Maff with some of the same. Snapmare from Whitmer and then a kick to the back. Snapmare from Maff and a kick to the back too. More of the same now and then they both chop Cabana and then throw him to the floor. They then decide to go at it. Forearms from Whitmer and Maff. Whitmer gets the better of that, and then Maff winds up on the floor and Cabana to the top rope and he gets a Cross Body off the top for a two count. Back Drop Suplex is countered by Whitmer and then Cabana gets another two count. Maff then drags Whitmer to the floor and they both do battle and Cabana to the apron. ASAI MOONSAULT FROM CABANA TO THE OTHER TWO MEN !!! Maff sends Cabana into the railing and then the same for Whitmer. That guy is obsessed with railings. Cabana is sent hard into railing. Whitmer takes the same. Maff then seems to want to dive. Cabana into the ring and he gets caught with a Clothesline and then Maff takes down Whitmer and chops the back. BUCKLE BOMB FROM MAFF !!! CANNONBALL FROM MAFF ... Cabana stops that with a simple trip. Cabana takes down Maff and does a Neck Twist and then the same to Whitmer. Neck Twist/Cravat combo on Maff and Whitmer, so Whitmer with kicks to the back to get out. Whitmer tries a German and that doesn't do much. GERMAN SUPLEX/EXPLODER SUPLEX COMBO WITH DAN MAFF AS THE MAIN MAN !!! Maff doesn't know who to hit with the Burning Hammer and he pulls up Whitmer. BURNING HAMMER ... Whitmer escapes and takes down both Cabana and Maff and all three men are down. EXPLODER SUPLEX ON MAFF !!! ROLLING GERMAN SUPLEXES ON CABANA !!! DRAGON SUPLEX FROM WHITMER !!! Maff stops the Powerbomb. HALF NELSON SUPLEX FROM MAFF !!! CABANA WITH THE SCHOOL BOY !!! ONE ! TWO ! THR ... KICKOUT !!! BACK DROP DRIVER ON CABANA !!! High Knee is blocked by Maff and then a big forearm from Whitmer. WRIST CLUTCH EXPLODER FROM WHITMER !!! ONE ! TWO ! THREE !!!

Cracking all action three way here. BJ Whitmer came out looking like a million in this one, and his exchanges with Danny Maff were superb. Colt Cabana played a good comedy foil for the two men as well. ***1/4

The Briscoes © vs. AJ Styles and Samoa Joe - ROH Tag Team Championships

Styles and Mark get the match going here and Styles has control of the arm at the moment and then Mark winds up in the Side Headlock of Styles. Mark with a Side Headlock of his own when Styles misses his shot at it. Styles tries to get a cover from it and then he eventually does get a two count. Styles throws down Mark and then misses a kick and Styles has the leg and works on it and then brings Joe into the ring. Mark misses an Enziguri and then tags out and in comes Jay. Lockup and Jay with forearms and he runs into a Judo Throw and Jay goes behind. Front Facelock from Joe. Joe now with kicks to the leg and then he goes with the Leg Grapevine and Jay reaches the bottom rope. Styles and Joe seem to both be going for legs. Big kick misses and Jay with a Yakuza Kick. Joe floors Jay with a forearm and then tags in AJ Styles. Kick to the chest from Styles and then a nice Elevated Ace Crusher from him gets a two count. Jay comes back with forearms but runs into the Rebound Dropkick and that gets a two count. Into the corner and in comes Joe. Into the corner with Jay and Joe with a Clothesline and then the high kick from Styles and that gets a two count for Joe. European Uppertcuts and chops from Joe and then Mark comes in with a Springboard Knee to the back of the head and now he works on Joe in the corner with forearms. S-T-JOE !!! That move must hurt quite a bit. Joe goes for the Powerbomb but Jay comes in. STYLES SPRINGS OFF OF MARK AND LANDS A DDT ON JAY !!! Joe then plants Mark. CRISS CROSS ELBOW SUICIDA/SOMERSAULT PLANCHA FROM THE CHALLENGERS !!! OLE KICK ON JAY !!! OLE KICK ON MARK THIS TIME FROM STYLES !!! Back into the ring and Styles gets a two count. Backbreaker into a Gutbuster from Styles and then a brutal kick to the back. Mark with an elbow strike and then a Neckbreaker over the top rope from Jay and then a Fameasser from Mark. Jay now tagged in and he lands a Snap Suplex. Chops from Jay in the corner. Styles into the corner and a big Running Forearm in the corner from Jay. Forearms from Jay now. Mark with a cheap shot and then a Backbreaker/Knee Drop combo from The Briscoes and that gets a two count. Into the corner they now go and Mark with chops of his own. BRUTAL LARIAT FROM MARK !!! ONE ! TWO ! KICKOUT !!! Back to the feet now and a Northern Lights Suplex gets a two count for him. Mark then gets a cheap shot at Samoa Joe and then they unload with stomps on AJ Styles. Jay now with a Chinlock and the fans are getting behind Styles. Styles comes back into the match and lands a Spin Kick. BRAINBUSTER FROM STYLES !!! ONE ! TWO ! KICKOUT !!! Mark drags Jay to the corner and sends him to the floor. Forearms from Styles with forearms and now both men with forearms. QUEDABRA DDT/NORMAL DDT COMBO ON THE BRISCOES !!! Split screen? f**k off. Joe comes in with chops on both Briscoes now. DOUBLE PELE KICK FROM JOE AND STYLES !!! POWERBOMB FROM JOE TO MARK RIGHT INTO THE STF !!! Mark finds his way to the bottom rope and then Mark avoids a Suplex. Powerslam from Joe and that gets a two count and Joe now with the Cross Armbreaker. Styles back into the ring and a Snap Swinging Neckbreaker. Kick to the side. BACK BODY DROP INTO A POWERBOMB FROM THE BRISCOES !!! ONE ! TWO ! THR ... KICKOUT !!! That was a cracking wee move and it looks like we're seeing double formula with the same guy. HAMMERLOCK BACK DROP DRIVER FROM STYLES !!! ONE ! TWO ! KICKOUT !!! Joe back into the match now and he lands a flurry on Jay. ISLAND DRIVER ... avoided. RELEASE GERMAN SUPLEX FROM JAY !!! The Briscoes now head to opposite corners. JAY WITH THE TOP ROPE LEG DROP !!! BRUTAL LARIAT ON STYLES !!! BIG KICK FROM JOE !!! All four men are down after that. All four men now battle to their feet. STYLES ROLLS THROUGH TO A STYLES CLASH ... JAY SAVES HIS BROTHER !!! EXPLODER SUPLEX BUT JOE IS BACK UP !!! GERMAN SUPLEX INTO A DRAGON SUPLEX FROM JOE !!! STYLES WITH A DISCUS LARIAT ON JOE !!! MARK TO THE TOP WITH THE SHOOTING STAR PRESS !!! ONE ! TWO ! THREE !!!

That was a cracking tag team match. The Briscoes did a good job of playing the heels but the fans just weren't into the idea and I think it kinda killed the crowd's heat a bit. That was a nice match though. ****

CM Punk vs. Raven - Steel Cage Match

Punk throws some chairs into the ring as an insurance policy, but surely that'd help Raven more than it'd help him? Punk kicks Raven out of the cage. He kicks Raven into the railing and then unleashes some right hands and then charges him into the railing and hits Raven with a chair. Elbow to the back of the head and then into the ring they go. Right hands in the cage from Punk. Pinfalls or escapes in this one now. Punk then squashes the head of Raven into the canvas. Raven into the ropes and a Drop Toe Hold into a chair from Punk. That's the good ol' Raven move and then some right hands from Punk. Forearms from Punk and then he goes for the escape and Raven decides to throw the chair at him to stop that from happening. Raven now picks Punk up and launches him into the cage. Stunner from Raven and then a Big Boot and Punk is busted open. Low Headbutt as blatant as you can get from Raven and then he smacks the head of Punk into a steel chair and then runs him into the wall of the cage. Running Knee Lift from Raven now and then a second. Raven completes the hat trick and that gets a two count. Raven then gets run face first into the steel chair and then Punk gets pulled into the ring again and now a Drop Toe Hold into the chair from Raven and that gets a two count. Raven now has Punk and he is laying on a bit of a beating. Modified Sharpshooter from Raven and they seem to be having some sort of nod to Austin/Hart here. Running kick to the face from Raven and then some knees to the head. This is brutal stuff from Raven right here and the fans like that. Piledriver from Raven and that gets a two count and Punk is reaching for the corner and Raven sets the chair in the middle of the ring. PILEDRIVER ON THE CHAIR FROM RAVEN !!! ONE ! TWO ! KICKOUT !!! Punk is now battling back and Raven puts an end to that with a Knee Lift. Raven then smashes the head of Punk into the steel chair and that gets a two count. Punk then kicks a chair into the face of Raven. Punk sends the face of Raven into the chair and then a chair to the back of Raven. Punk now wedges the chair between the top and middle buckles. Russian Legsweep sends Raven into the chair but then misses a kick. That's desperation stuff from Raven and Punk now chokes Raven with the steel chair. Raven then gets sent face first into the steel cage and then a second time and he's busted open. Raven sends Punk into the cage again. RAVEN MISSES A SPEAR AND SMACKS THE STEEL CAGE !!! Punk now drags Raven back into the ring darts him into the steel cage. Punk to the top rope ... FLYING ELBOW DROP FROM PUNK ... HITS THE STEEL CHAIR !!! This is a much better match than they had the last time in the steel cage. Sleeper Hold from Punk now, but Raven then with the Back Drop Suplex and the fans are into this. Back to the feet they go and Raven with the low blow and that might change things in this one. Low blow now from Punk. I guess not. Raven now goes for the door and Punk pulls him back into the ring and then lands an Enziguri. Back into the middle of the ring and then Punk heads for the top of the cage. LEG DROP OFF THE TOP OF THE CAGE ... MISSES !!! The fans are enjoying this one and then Raven with a Discus Clothesline and he's fired up. Clothesline off the ropes from Raven and then the Running Knee Lift and the fans are fired up. Clothesline into the Bulldog from Raven and that gets a two count. Raven now has a steel chair. CHAIR TO THE HEAD BUT HE REBOUNDS AND HITS PUNK !!! ONE ! TWO ! THR ... KICKOUT !!! RAVEN EFFECT FROM PUNK !!! ONE ! TWO ! THR ... KICKOUT !!! Punk now has the steel chair and drops it in the middle of the ring. He goes for the DDT but Raven comes back. Raven runs into the knee to the head and that gets a two count. Small Package from Raven gets a two count and then Punk with the Superkick and the fans are getting into this one yet again. Punk heads for the top again. RAVEN GETS CROTCHED ON THE DOOR OF THE CAGE !!! PUNK SLAMS THE DOOR ON RAVEN AND DROPS DOWN !!!

Not that much that resembles wrestling from this match and it was all the better for it. I hate to say it but towards the end the desperation might have taken away from the match. ***3/4

I can't think that there was very many better ROH shows than this in the first three years. Okay, so there was nothing pure standout, but from the second match onwards, EVERYTHING was at least worth your time. Absolute belter of a show.

ROH War of the Wire 2003

With ROH finishing one blood fued the previous night, it was the turn of Homicide and Steve Corino to get things sorted on this show.

Fast Eddie and Hotstuff Hernandez vs. The Backseat Boys ( DUD )

Special K vs. The Carnage Crew, The SAT and Slugger - Scramble Match ( **3/4 )

CM Punk vs. Jimmy Rave vs. Matt Stryker vs. Colt Cabana vs. BJ Whitmer - Gauntlet Match ( * )

Slyk Wagner Brown and April Hunter vs. The Outcast Killaz ( N/A )

Xavier vs. John Walters ( *** )

The Briscoes © vs. Christopher Daniels and Dan Maff - ROH Tag Team Championships ( ***1/4 )

Samoa Joe © vs. AJ Styles - ROH World Heavyweight Championship ( **** )

Steve Corino vs. Homicide - No Rope Barbed Wire Match ( ****1/4 )

Fast Eddie and Hotstuff Hernandez vs. The Backseat Boys

Acid gets the crowd behind him and him and Hernandez with a massive Hiptoss. Acid gets the fans into things for a second time. Lockup and into the corner and we have another Hiptoss blocked and then another huge Hiptoss and some of the fans boo. Acid hits the ropes and gets charged down and he doesn't seem to know what to make of his opponent. Acid into the ropes and a brutal Clothesline from Hernandez. Kash comes into the ring and he doesn't want a test of strength so just punches the big man. More right hands in the same way from Kash and then Hernandez tells Kash to hit the ropes. Kashmere: "You hit the fucking ropes!" Acid pulls the top rope down. Eddie into the ring and he eats a Missile Dropkick. Hernandez is sent to the floor and then into the corner and a Double Bulldog from the Backseats. Eddie then heads for the floor. Hernandez sounds angry. STEREO DIVES FROM THE BACKSEATS !!! Back into the ring with Eddie and Acid. Forearms to the gut from Eddie and then a poke to the eye from Acid and then he mocks him. Forearm knocks down Eddie and then showboating. Acid then spits at Hernandez who comes into the ring and he isn't happy. Double Russian Legsweep from the Backseats and a Double Elbow Drop. Double Dropkick to the head from Backseats. "That was gay." :lol: Kash in the ring with a chop on Eddie. Kash then bites the forehead of Eddie. Back into the ring comes Acid and then a Snapmare and then a Knee Drop and that gets a two count. Chinlock from Acid. Eddie then hits the ropes and Kash grabs the foot. Swinging Neckbreaker from Eddie. We have the hot tag and he demolishes people. Double Back Drop Suplex is botched. CHOKE SUPLEX SENDS EDDIE OVER THE TOP ROPE ONTO THE BACKSEATS !!! HERNANDEZ WITH THE DIVE OVER THE TOP ROPE !!! Springboard from Acid is stopped. MOONSAULT FALLAWAY SLAM FROM EDDIE !!! ONE ! TWO ! KASH SAVES !!! Hernandez doesn't help. Chops from Hernandez and then we have something else coming here. Doomsday Kick and Hernandez looks angry again. This whole thing is just a mess here. T-GIMMICK ON EDDIE !!! ONE ! TWO ! THREE !!!

You'd struggle to see a worse match between four talented guys like this one. Sloppy as hell and none of the guys in the match had a clue what the story was in there. DUD

Special K vs. The Carnage Crew, The SAT and Slugger - Scramble Match

This one has the potential to be super sloppy. We start with Angel Dust and Jose in the ring. Lockup and a Headlock from Dust. Jose charges down Dust. Rana from Dust. Kicks from Dust. Kick to the head from Jose. Dust gets out of there and in comes Dixie. In comes Loc to deal with him. Chops from Loc now. Dixie into the ropes and he avoids a Hiptoss. Gorilla Press Bomb from Loc. Into the ring come Joel and Hydro. Hydro hits the ropes and lands a nice Arm Drag. Running Rana from Joel and then into the corner. High Knee from Joel. Chops from Joel Maximo now and then Hydro spits in his face and slaps him. Kick to the head from Joel. BRUTAL LARIAT FROM JOEL !!! In comes Vito and now in comes Lit. Forearms from Lit to Vito and then into the ropes. Roaring Elbow from Lit and he hits hard! Forearms from Lit and then a Springboard Bulldog is blocked and Crossface Forearms. "Did this guy just jump ship? What's with the lifejacket?" :lol: I love CM Punk. Brutal Clothesline from Vito and then a Back Body Drop. "This is like rich junkies against alcoholic homeless people." :lol: Slugger into the ring with Hijinx. Erm... naw. Jinx goes to work. At least he has the baws. Into the ropes and he just clubs him down. Samoan Drop from Slugger and then he tags in Vito. Double Alabama Slam and then a Double Boston Crab. They add Dixie and some arm bars. In come the SAT with Hydro now. THE HUMAN TAFFY MACHINE ON HYDRO !!! Slugger comes in and just stretches Lit. The fans are liking this. Loc to the floor now and the ring clears. SPECIAL K WITH DIVES COMING FROM EVERY FUCKING ANGLE !!! Slugger has a look at the floor and he wants to do something. He decides not to do that and then heads for the top rope. PLANCHA ONTO EVERYONE FROM SLUGGER !!! Back into the ring and a two count. Double chop from the Crew. Powerbomb from Joel. WHEELBARROW SUPLEX INTO A BACKBREAKER FROM THE SAT AND THE CREW !!! In comes Hydro with a Dropkick. Kicks to the back from Dust and then a kick to the chin. WHELEBARROW MISSILE DROPKICK SUPLEX COMBO FROM SPECIAL K !!! They now get stuck into Slugger and Dropkicks stagger the big man. Slugger wipes out four of them and Hydro gets caught with a Spinebuster and Special K makes the save. Hydro is sent over the top. FOUR STEREO POWERBOMBS !!! ONE ! TWO ! THRE ... KICKOUT !!! THE SUPER SPIKE PILEDRIVER ... stopped. JOEL HELPS !!! ONE ! TWO ! THRE ... HYDRO MAKES THE SAVE !!! Body Slam from Lethal and he heads for the top rope and he gets caught with a kick and now the SAT to the top. Vito? VITO HELPS WITH THE FUCKING SPANISH FLY !!! ONE ! TWO ! THRE ... JOSE WANTS THE PIN ?!?! f**k off with that. Now the Carnage Crew and SAT are shouting at each other. DIXIE HAS THE TIGHTS !!! ONE ! TWO ! THREE !!!

Well it was messy like I suspected, but I'll be damned if it wasn't a shitload of fun. Too much going on, but the action was breathtaking as well, and it cancelled it out in a sense. Points off for the shitty stuff between SAT and The Carnage Crew. **3/4

CM Punk vs. Jimmy Rave vs. Matt Stryker vs. Colt Cabana vs. BJ Whitmer - Gauntlet Match

So this is a gauntlet match. Rave now goes to the Arm Ringer and Punk reverses with one of his own. Arm Drag from Rave and then the Arm Bar. Punk with a quick nearfall now. Lockup from Rave and then he takes down Punk and works on the leg. Punk finds his way to the ropes to get away from the pressure of Rave. Some fans chant "Holy Shit" and CM Punk seems to be upset. Rave goes to the leg now. Rave now with a submission and Punk tries to kick his way out of the move and opts to just smack him one. Chops and right hands and then a brutal kick to the back. Rave into the ropes and a Back Elbow from Punk. Arm Ringer from Punk and then he lands a brutal Mule Kick to the face but he misses a Clothesline and Rave lands a Dropkick to the knee. Rave now works on the right leg of Punk and drops an elbow on it and now goes to a submission. Punk tries to find his way out of this but Rave is insistant and Punk has to reach the bottom rope. Kicks to the leg from Rave and then he lands some chops. Kicks to the leg from Rave and then a Dropkick to the leg. He then stretches the leg over the middle rope. Rave runs into a boot. He misses a springboard, and Rave goes right back to the leg. Punk manages to send Rave to the floor. Punk to the apron and Rave with the chop block. Rave sends Punk into the rail with a Rana and then lands a chop. Rave then gets sent into the railing. Back into the ring they go now and Punk has control. Cravat from Punk and then he runs Rave into the corner and that gets a two count. STO from Punk and that gets a two count. Punk with the big chop to Rave and then more of the same. Rave tries a comeback and just eats a shot. Dropkick to the head from Punk. Snapmare from Punk. Rave now battles back. CRAVAT SUPLEX FROM PUNK !!! Chris Hero would be proud of his old sparring partner there. Rave now comes back and kicks the leg a bit. Sleeper Hold now from Punk. Rave is now coming back into the match and the fans are not happy with that. Rave hits the ropes and then lands a Knee Breaker and then he sweeps down Punk. Dropkick to the knee from Rave again. STO Backbreaker and then a Back Drop Suplex and he rolls through to the Dragon Screw and then works in a submission. Punk finds his way to the bottom rope. More kicks to the leg and then he runs into a forearm. CROSS ARM HEAD BREAKER FROM PUNK !!! Punk then goes for the Half Crab. Boston Crab now from Punk. THE RUNNING KNEE TO THE FACE FROM RAVE !!! ONE ! TWO ! THR ... KICKOUT !!! PEPSI PLUNGE FROM PUNK !!! ONE ! TWO ! THREE !!!

Of course, that move won't have helped the knee. Matt has his eyes on Punk now. Punk challenges Matt to go for the knee and then works over Matt. Swinging Neckbreaker from Punk and then more right hands. Punk then chokes and then picks up Matt and knees him. Matt comes back with forearms and chops. Punk then goes round about and then under Matt and then he realises what Punk is doing. Matt ties his boots and Punk takes his eye of the ball and Matt almost locks in the Stryker Lock. Punk then goes to the eye. Matt then clubs on Punk and then lands a European Uppercut for a two count. He then works on the leg and Punk now with kicks to escape. European Uppercuts from Matt and then Punk into the ropes and he avoids a shot. Knee from Matt and then he lands a big chop. Big elbow and that gets a two count for Matt. Punk can't even run to the ropes. STRYKER LOCK !!! PUNK TAPS !!!

Colt Cabana is the next man out to the ring. Colt Cabana does some right good fun with his entrance music before it finally gets cut off. They now go to the hand lock and a big right hand and then a European Uppercut from Matt and Cabana heads for the floor. Cabana has some words with a fan and the referee goes out and sort of gets in between them. The fans want Cabana to dance and he won't do it. Matt heads for the floor and he's getting a bit annoyed. Matt tells the fans to shut up and then Cabana's music hits and then he heads for the back untill the music goes off. Matt is getting INCREDIBLY pissed off. Lockup and Matt goes to the arm. Cabana tries to escape and Matt keeps the arm. Cabana with a nice escape and then we have a lock of hands. Arm Drag from Matt and then he gets charged down and a Dropkick from Matt and that gets a two count. Kick to the gut and a Swinging Neckbreaker from Cabana and that gets a two count. Snapmare and then the Neck Twist. Snapmare and then a Camel Clutch and then he plucks the hairs out of the brow and Matt is major pissed. Matt fights back and then a Butt Bump from Cabana and that gets a two count. Victory Roll from Matt and that gets a two count. Back Elbow gets a two count. Cabana now has Matt on the second rope. Matt comes back into the match up there. Springboard Cross Body gets a two count for Cabana. Knee to the gut from Cabana and then he heads for the top rope. POP UP BELLY 2 BELLY FROM STRYKER !!! Matt ducks a shot and lands some chops. Thesz Press from Matt. LIONSAULT FROM STRYKER !!! ONE ! TWO ! KICKOUT !!! Kick to the face from Cabana but he runs into a Powerslam and that gets a two count. COLT 45 blocked. Double Knee to the face from Cabana. AIR RAID CRASH OVER THE KNEE FROM CABANA !!! ONE ! TWO ! THR ... KICKOUT !!! Cabana now in the corner with elbows. Cabana caught. DEATH VALLEY DRIVER FROM STRYKER !!! ONE ! TWO ! THREE !!!

So we end with Whitmer and Matt at the end of this one. This is a preview of the big match at the end of the year between these two guys. Knee to the gut and a Swinging Neckbreaker from Whitmer and that gets a two count. Whitmer clubs on the back of Matt and then into the corner. Matt whipped hard into the corner and then a Camel Clutch from Whitmer. Matt fights out now and hits the ropes and runs into the Back Elbow and that gets a two count. Neckbreaker from Whitmer and that gets a two count as well and he clearly wants to work on the neck here. Matt fights out of the Exploder and lands a Roaring Elbow. Forearms from Whitmer and Matt. Big Boot from Matt and then a Rolling Senton and that gets a two count. Whitmer onto the apron and then he lands a forearm. Matt dumped into the middle of the ring. BOTH MEN CRASH TO THE FLOOR AFTER HE GOES FOR THE SUPLEX !!! Whitmer throws Matt in the ring. WRIST CLUTCH EXPLODER !!! ONE ! TWO ! THREE !!!

I don't like gauntlet matches and this one was no different. The ending was fucking fantastic though. *

Slyk Wagner Brown and April Hunter vs. The Outcast Killaz

I won't do PBP for this since ROH can't be bothered showing us the whole thing. All I'll say is that the Killaz won. N/A

Xavier vs. John Walters

Walters is over in a big way since he's with a home crowd. Walters with a MASSIVE slap to get this going and both men unleash in a big way. Xavier with the takedown and then he lands some right hands. Both guys going mental to open and then a Full Nelson and then Xavier with the takedown and Walters takes HIM over. Forearms from Walters. Hurricane DDT is avoided and Xavier heads for the floor. Walters gets the fans behind him here. Xavier has words with some of the fans on the floor. Walters goes for him and then Xavier buys some time. Xavier gets over Walters and runs right into a big Clothesline and into the corner. Clothesline from Walters. Xavier into the corner and Walters runs into a Spin Kick and that gets a two count. Chop from Xavier and then more of the same. Chops from Walters now and then European Uppercut. SPRINGBOARD SUPER RANA FROM WALTERS !!! ONE ! TWO ! KICKOUT !!! Walters then gets dumped to the floor. XAVIER WITH A SPRINGBOARD CORKSCREW PLANCHA TO THE FLOOR !!! Walters is sent into the railing and then back into the ring they go. Forearms from Xavier and then chops. IED from Xavier. Xavier misses a big move in the corner now. Lungblower misses from Walters and Xavier locks in a nice submission. He then goes to the Camel Clutch. Xavier with a clubbing shot to the back of the head and then he heads to the middle rope. Xavier then with the Grave Digger. Walters finds his way back into the match now. Xavier nearly rips the arm out of the socket. BRAINBUSTER FROM XAVIER !!! ONE ! TWO ! KICKOUT !!! What's the point in doing a move on the arm at a random point? Knees to the head from Xavier and then he lands the Swinging Knee to the face. Walters now heads for the apron and Xavier heads up to the middle buckle. SUNSET BOMB FROM WALTERS ... not connected. Walters is now crotched. LUNGBLOWER ACROSS THE BUCKLES FROM WALTERS !!! Xavier and Walters exchange chops and then Walters ducks a shot and lands a Neckbreaker and that gets a two count. HURRICANE DDT AND THE LUNGBLOWER FROM WALTERS !!! ONE ! TWO ! THR ... KICKOUT !!! REVERSE DDT FROM THE TOP FROM XAVIER !!! ONE ! TWO ! THRE ... KICKOUT !!! 450 SPLASH ... WALTERS MOVES AND LANDS A SPRINGBOARD SUNSET BOMB !!! ONE ! TWO ! THRE ... KICKOUT !!! Walters then gets dumped to the floor. Xavier then goes under the ring and pulls a ladder out from under the ring. Back into the ring they go now. Powerslam from Xavier and that gets a two count. Xavier is now bleeding from the mouth. KISS YOUR X GOODBYE ... COUNTERED TO THE ROLLUP !!! ONE ! TWO ! THREE !!!

Can't say I was a big fan of the stalling from Xavier. They botched a couple of things but they recovered and in one case, you wouldn't be able to tell that it was a botch in most instances anyways, and it was a heated battle between two guys that were just desperate to beat one another. ***

The Briscoes © vs. Christopher Daniels and Dan Maff - ROH Tag Team Championships

Jay pushes down Daniels and then they circle each other and we have a lockup and a Headlock from Jay. Into the corner and Daniels with chops and right hands in there and then he clubs down Jay. Stomps in the corner from Daniels. Jay into the ropes and he ducks a Clothesline. Springboard Dropkick from Mark and then a Northern Lights Suplex gets a two count. Rake to the eyes from Daniels and in comes Maff. Chops from Maff. Forearm out of the corner from Mark and then in comes Jay. Leg Drop/Sidewalk Slam from The Briscoes. Chops from Jay. Maff then heads for the floor. MARK WITH THE DIVE OVER THE TOP ROPE !!! Daniels kicks Mark. ARABIAN PRESS FROM DANIELS TAKES OUT HIS OWN PARTNER !!! MARK WITH THE SHOOTING STAR PLANCHA TO THE FLOOR !!! Back into the ring with Mark and Maff and now Mark shoves Daniels off of the apron and then Maff sends Mark to the floor and then Daniels throws Mark into the railing. Back to the feet now and Daniels now comes into the ring legally and lands a big Back Drop Suplex for a two count. Neck Twist from Daniels. Neck Twist then from Maff who comes into the ring. Daniels then comes into the ring and works over Mark. Daniels then into the ring and then he just shrugs off and gets a two count. Cravat from Daniels. Maff now into the ring and he goes to the Chinlock with the knee in the back. Back to the feet they go now and into the corner where Daniels is now waiting. Suplex from Daniels and that gets a two count. School Boy from Mark and there's no referee to take the count, and Daniels with a Clothesline before the referee even turns around then then he chokes Mark over the bottom rope and then Maff and Danger get their shots in behind the back. Neck Twist from Daniels and then Mark tries to escape, but Daniels just grabs Maff and takes him down. Maff with the Leg Drop on Mark and that gets a two count. Mark fights back into the match and a Headbutt from Maff and then he just sweeps down Mark and that gets a two count. Mark avoids a German Suplex and kicks Maff in the back of the head so Daniels comes in and makes sure Mark can't make the tag. Daniels with a sort of Inverted Bulldog off the top and that gets a two count for Daniels and then a Russian Legsweep gets the same. Back Drop Suplex from Maff and that gets a two count. Cannonball in the corner gets a two count for Maff. Daniels forced into a Spear on Maff and it looks like we're gonna get a hot tag here. Jay now into the ring and he works over The Prophecy. Daniels cuts him off. Double Clothesline from Jay and then Maff into the ropes. Yakuza Kick from Jay and then the same in the corner and Jay heads for the top rope. Top Rope Dropkick from Jay and that gets a two count. Daniels now comes into the ring and Mark is now in the ring. Back Elbow from Mark. Downward Spiral from Daniels and that gets a two count. BEST MOONSAULT EVER FROM DANIELS !!! ONE ! TWO ! JAY SAVES !!! Sitdown Front Suplex from Jay. DEATH VALLEY DRIVER FROM JAY !!! ONE ! TWO ! MAFF SAVES !!! SWINGING FISHERMAN NECKBREAKER FROM MAFF !!! ONE ! TWO ! KICKOUT !!! BACK DROP DRIVER FROM MAFF !!! ONE ! TWO ! THR ... KICKOUT !!! Mark stops Maff. SPRINGBOARD ACE CRUSHER FROM MARK !!! ONE ! TWO ! KICKOUT !!! Backbreaker/Knee Drop combo from The Briscoes and that gets a two count. Maff then drags Jay to the floor and sends him to the railing. Exploder Suplexes from Mark and that gets a two count as Allison Danger comes into the ring and the referee pushes her down. Daniels stops a move. DANGER WITH THE DDT ON MARK !!! ONE ! TWO ! THRE ... KICKOUT !!! Body Slam from Maff and then Daniels heads for the top rope. ROCKET LAUNCHER FROM THE PROPHECY ... MISSES !!! Jay now into the ring. Mark avoids a Suplex. Yakuza Kick from Mark. Danger is now in the ring. FALCON ARROW ON DANGER !!! Maff now fights off The Briscoes. LARIATOOOOO ON MARK !!! Maff into the ropes. Double Flapjack on Maff now. DOUBLE STO FROM THE BRISCOES !!! DOOMSDAY DEVICE FROM THE BRISCOES !!! ONE ! TWO ! THRE ... DANIELS MAKES THE SAVE !!! Enziguri from Daniels. Rake to the eyes from Daniels. ANGEL'S WINGS ON MARK !!! ONE ! TWO ! THRE ... JAY MAKES THE SAVE !!! STO from Daniels gets a two count. JAY DRILLER ON DANIELS !!! ONE ! TWO ! THREE !!!

The heat segment with Mark was boring as sin and far too long. The fans were actually completely out of it by the time the nearfalls came about. They did their best to turn it around towards the end. ***1/4

Samoa Joe © vs. AJ Styles - ROH World Heavyweight Championship

Joe with elbows and then he charges Styles down. Styles with the Kip Up Rana. Joe with a Rana of his own and he's showing Styles that he's ready to hit the air if that's what Styles wants. Joe then reverses and goes behind and both men now with loads of reversals and Styles with the Front Facelock and Styles gets to the ropes before any real advantage can be gained. They now lock hands and Joe goes to the arm and then goes to a Headlock. Cravat from Joe and then he takes down Styles and chops and kicks him, but Styles catches a kick and goes to a Headlock. Joe now battles to his feet and then he's sent to the ropes. Styles with the Rebound Dropkick and that gets a two count. Knee Drop from Styles. Styles then takes over Joe with a Suplex and that gets a two count. Forearms from Styles and then he discuses right into a punch. JOE KICKS STYLES THROUGH THE ROPES AND TO THE FLOOR !!! Joe now has his eyes on AJ Styles. ELBOW SUICIDA FROM SAMOA JOE !!! Joe hit the railing head first btw. I don't know how hurt he is from that, but it can't have been a nice landing. Chop from Joe on the floor shows he's not as hurt as you might think and then he tells the fans to move. He puts Styles on the chair and gets the fans ready. THE OLE KICK ... misses. SUPERKICK ON THE FLOOR FROM JOE !!! To the feet now and Styles jumps the rail and then jumps back to the ringside area with a Leaping Forearm. Back into the ring they now go. POWERBOMB FROM STYLES !!! ONE ! TWO ! KICKOUT !!! Clotheslines and that doesn't work for Styles. He hits the ropes. S-T-JOE !!! He is not a happy camper. Jabs and chops now from Joe and now he's working over Styles. THE BOOTSCRAPES AND THE FACEWASH FROM JOE !!! The fans want to see one more of them. Styles comes back with right hands and chops and then Joe sweeps Styles onto his forehead for a two count. POWERBOMB FROM JOE INTO THE STF !!! INTO THE CROSSFACE FROM SAMOA JOE !!! Styles now reaches the bottom rope. Knees to the head from Samoa Joe now and a rake to the eyes from Joe. Styles now fights. Rolling Cradle from Joe and that gets a two count. Kick to the face from Joe and now he's toying with AJ Styles. Forearms from Joe. PELE KICK OUT OF NOWHERE FROM AJ STYLES !!! QUEDABRA DDT FROM AJ STYLES !!! ONE ! TWO ! KICKOUT !!! Backbreaker from Styles. Muta Lock then follows that. Joe goes to the eyes to break. Forearms to the back now and then a big Enziguri from Joe. Slaps from Joe and Styles now. Flurries from both men leads to Styles landing a big kick on the forehead. Both men now battling to their feet and then he sets Joe on the top rope. Joe then slaps Styles and raises a boot. POWERBOMB ... INTO THE STYLES CLASH !!! ONE ! TWO ! THRE ... KICKOUT !!! SAMOA JOE SURVIVES !!! The fans are right behind AJ Styles now as they now believe he has a chance to win this one. Chops from Styles and forearms. QUEDABRA DDT ... INTO THE ISLAND DRIVER FROM JOE !!! ONE ! TWO ! THRE ... KICKOUT !!! DISCUS LARIAT FROM STYLES !!! He then heads for the top rope. SAMOA JOE LANDS THE MUSCLE BUSTER AND THEN LOCKS IN THE CHOKE !!! IT'S OVER !!!

This was very much like the match they would have at TNA Sacrifice 2005. Many of the same spots got a run out here. So it all feels a bit samey and I feel bad for rating against it for that, but hey, life's not fair. ****

Steve Corino vs. Homicide - No Rope Barbed Wire Match

The bell rings and we have what should be a very violent match here. They go face to face and then Homicide pushes Corino. Lockup and then Corino throws Homicide off. Punk rightly notes how Homicide has dressed. Corino falls to the floor and that is dangerous stuff. Homicide then takes down Corino and then he goes after the ear of Corino and then tries to send him into the barbed wire and then we have a vice versa thing. Corino and Homicide block wire shots and Homicide heads for the floor. Now back into the ring and Homicide with a School Boy and that gets a two count. Backslide gets two. O'Connor Roll and that gets a two count as well. They now lock hands and Corino floors Homicide with a right hand. Homicide now tries to get back into the match and he stops desperately. HOMICIDE GETS LAUNCHED INTO THE WIRE !!! The first shot comes out of nowhere and makes you realise it can happen at any time. Corino then digs the barbed wire into the head and he's busted open. More of the same now. Corino now bites at the cut of Homicide and he heads to his towel and dries some of the blood up. CATAPULT SENDS HOMICIDE INTO THE WIRE !!! ONE ! TWO ! KICKOUT !!! Homicide now has a steel chair and Corino has the bat. CHAIR TO THE HEAD OF CORINO !!! DDT ON THE BAT FROM HOMICIDE !!! Steve Corino is now busted open and now Homicide has a fork. REPEATED FORK SHOTS TO THE HEAD OF CORINO !!! HE RAKES THE FORK INTO THE HEAD OF CORINO !!! This is some crazy violence and the fans are getting into this one. Corino then heads to the floor and then Homicide sends him into the railing. FORK TO THE EAR FROM HOMICIDE !!! REPEATED FORK SHOTS IN THE RING FROM HOMICIDE AGAIN !!! HE GOES BACK TO THE EAR !!! HOMICIDE STOMPS THE BARBED WIRE BAT INTO THE EAR OF CORINO !!! Homicide then bites the ear of Corino and then spits the blood out. There is some right sick shit going down here. Homicide then slaps down Corino. BARBED WIRE BAT RIGHT ACROSS THE BACK OF THE HEAD FROM HOMICIDE !!! The fans are a bit hushed now. MONKEY FLIP SENDS HOMICIDE INTO THE BARBED WIRE !!! FUCKING HELL !!! Homicide now heads back to the floor. Corino goes out there now as well. Homicie is then sent into the railing. Homicide sents into another railing. SUPLEX FROM CORINO HANGS HOMICIDE UP IN THE BARBED WIRE !!! Corino with a low blow as if that matters at this point. Corino gives the fans the finger. HOMICIDE WHIPS CORINO INTO THE BARBED WIRE AND THEN LANDS THE BIG FLYING KNEE AND CRASHES INTO THE BARBED WIRE !!! I wonder what Homicide is up to now. Homicide now has the table set. Running kicks to the head from Homicide. T-BONE SUPLEX SENDS CORINO CRASHING INTO THE BARBED WIRE TABLE !!! Corino saying "help" to the referee was slightly disturbing there. That gets a two count. COLBYKAZE FROM CORINO !!! ONE ! TWO ! KICKOUT !!! THE COBRA HOLD FROM CORINO ... Homicide gets to his feet. HOMICIDE SENDS CORINO CRASHING INTO THE BARBED WIRE TABLE AGAIN !!! ACE CRUSHER FROM HOMICIDE !!! ONE ! TWO ! KICKOUT !!! HOMICIDE THROWS THE RAILING INTO THE RING AND IT CRASHES ONTO THE HEAD OF CORINO !!! Homicide is sent hard into the wire again and now Chuck is in there. Railing is now set on some chairs. SUPLEX FROM CORINO THROUGH THE RAILING !!! This is madness. SHINING WIZARD INTO THE STF FROM HOMICIDE !!! LEGRANGE THROWS THE ALCOHOL INTO THE WOUNDS OF HOMICIDE !!! LeGrande and Chuck brawl on the floor and now we have the two men in there. Lariat from Corino gets a one count. Piledriver and then another one. THE COBRA HOLD WITH THE BARBED WIRE !!! CORINO ADDS THE BODY SCISSORS !!! SMOKES THROWS IN THE TOWEL !!!

Give credit where it's due, this was one absolutely astonishing show of hatred and violence. Some of the shit they were doing in this match was vile. This sort of match is never going to be a 5* match, but what they DID do was very good. ****1/4

Good double main event. One of them got rid of the second big blood fued of 2003 in ROH while the other was a sign of things to come from Styles and Joe. The lower part of the card didn't half have some shite though. It's probably worth a look thanks to the main event but be wary.

Styles took Coles old role of head of WWE,Com content.

IMO what makes a good commentator is someone who has an interest in wrestling, some experience inside the ring and grew up listening to a good commentary team. Cole fits none of this. Lawler if asked to do commentary without stupid jokes could still do something useful. I'd like Josh and Scott Stanford on SD, great pairing.

IMO what makes a good commentator is someone who has an interest in wrestling, some experience inside the ring and grew up listening to a good commentary team. Cole fits none of this. Lawler if asked to do commentary without stupid jokes could still do something useful. I'd like Josh and Scott Stanford on SD, great pairing.

Define "experience inside the ring". Do you mean an actual wrestler? Cause Heyman and JR didn't have any, did they? And they should be in everyone's top 5 commentators.

JR and Heyman was incredible because it was genuine. The number of times Heyman provked a legitimately angry reaction from JR was unreal.

He could get him riled up so easily as well, that's why Heyman's such a talent and him not being involved is a massive loss to the business. I wish he'd get back into it, in some form, even if it wasn't with WWE or TNA.

Survivor Series 2001 was a masterclass from JR and Heyman, in fact that whole PPV is one of my all time favourites. It's just a shame the rest of the Invasion angle wasn't half as well booked. I think Lawler returned the next night on Raw after his absence when he took the huff at his talentless wife being sacked. That was the same Raw Austin turned face and Ric Flair returned. More exciting things happened over those two days in 2001 than have happened in the 9 years of WWE programming since then!