The Wrestling Thread

Mo Wonderboy

Who is Hogan to think Roode isn't ready? Right enough, TNA built Roode up to look like an absolute rookie in the run up to BFG, I reckon he had a huge input with that.

I don't understand why Hogan is loved the way he is. I've watched wrestling since 1991/1992 and there's no way he's up there with the best performers in the business. He clings on to his 80's and NWO reputation like a snake with it round your throat. He shouldn't be involved in the main storylines. TNA has some incredible talent, always have. Some of the X Division matches in the middle 2000's were brilliant and I think the division has been deliberately been (effectively) killed off because there are guys who can work a match better than the likes of Anderson and much more than the old timers like non-selling Hogan, Sting and graveyard Flair.

Aye, the deliberate killing of the X Division will be helped no end by having the best champ in fucking yonks in good matches on PPV and TV while dedicating a PPV to the division which was quite good. I'll move away from this insanity though and move onto more sane points you made.

Who is Hogan to think Roode isn't ready?

Who is anyone to decide who is and isn't ready? Hogan has been at the top of the business and was there for over 10 years. And yes, he WAS a terrific in-ring performer. He could do so much while doing so little. His timing has still never been matched. Only Cena comes close when it comes to that. I'd say he's in a good position. I mean, he could have pointed out Roode has the charisma of a spade, wasn't even the best guy in Beer Money and is a midcarder at best if he wanted to be brutally honest about it. Not a word of that would have been incorrect either.

As for the incredible talent, there isn't as much as you think there is.

Hulk Hogan is still the biggest name in wrestling today (with the possible exception of the Rock). More people will be able to tell you who Hulk Hogan is than who John Cena is.

As DomDom said, it's not helping TNA sell their product, or certainly not as much as you'd think. I fell out of wrestling a bit when he first came in(I think, I'd need to work it out but I got back into watching it when season 1 of NXT was winding down) but when he first came in he tried the Monday Night experiment which failed pretty horribly, right?

As for "employing" all his "old cronies", he isn't "employing" anyone. Bischoff's role is on-screen and in production and I think he's done brilliantly in both. He's one of the best heels in the history of the business and is drawing heat to this day. He's the second best on screen authority figure there's ever been after Vinny Mac. Steiner and Hogan don't have a relationship that I know of? As for Russo, you do know Russo was employed by TNA for almost four years before they signed Hogan? I suggest you read up on what happened at Bash at the Beach 2000 as well if you think Russo and Hogan are "cronies".

Surely he has a say in it though? Is he not pretty high up and has a tonne of power?

Must just be a personal thing, I hate Bischoff. And it's not like you hate a good heel, I just hate him. I never watched WCW but in his time in WWE and TNA, I've never liked him. His role in production? I hate the shakey camera stuff they've done and the shitey "real life" thing they've tried. Reaction was shite and deservedly got shit-canned.

Just because Russo was there before Hogan doesn't mean anything. Anyone with a bit of sense would have him fired, he's an awful writer. I wasn't aware that they didn't like each other, but if I was brought in to try and help TNA, Russo leaving would be the first thing I would do.

For the exact same reasons, I've never really been a fan of Flair either.

I don't know why, but I love him. I've only ever known him as the old guy who gets busted open a lot and bumps. I just love his promos, and his schtick. The whole God thing is just amazing and he probably actually believes it. Love it.

Hulk Hogan is still the biggest name in wrestling today (with the possible exception of the Rock). More people will be able to tell you who Hulk Hogan is than who John Cena is.

As for "employing" all his "old cronies", he isn't "employing" anyone. Bischoff's role is on-screen and in production and I think he's done brilliantly in both. He's one of the best heels in the history of the business and is drawing heat to this day. He's the second best on screen authority figure there's ever been after Vinny Mac. Steiner and Hogan don't have a relationship that I know of? As for Russo, you do know Russo was employed by TNA for almost four years before they signed Hogan? I suggest you read up on what happened at Bash at the Beach 2000 as well if you think Russo and Hogan are "cronies".

Hulk and Flair shouldn't be retired IMO. Both have the ability to work a crowd better than arguably anyone in the business. Hogan in particular is the best there ever has been in terms of timing, selling and evoking emotion. A good worker pops a crowd and draws money. Hulk Hogan is still one of the best.

Great post.

Great spear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKDkFRTiHQY

While that's all well and good, is it equating to PPV buys and TV viewers? TV audiences are actually not bad by TNA standards right now, but PPV buys for that promotion are at an all time low.

Hogan isn't worth half as much in TNA as people think he is. The only reason people think he IS worth something is because he's Hulk Hogan but the reality is that people don't care anymore.

So basically Hogan tried to kickstart a promotion which has a core fanbase and f**k all else. I don't see what's wrong with that. Did it work? No. Is anything else going to work? Probably not. It's TNA. Almost everyone has given up on them. They're shit.

Contradicting yourself a bit there are you not? I agree with that rest of that post.

Who is Hogan to think Roode isn't ready?

Who are you to think he is? Or me for that matter? It's all a matter of opinion, Hogan's understandably carries a lot more weight than yours or mine because he's the biggest name in the history of the industry.

Right enough, TNA built Roode up to look like an absolute rookie in the run up to BFG, I reckon he had a huge input with that.

:lol: :lol:

That's what you call winning the BFG series, beating every member of Fortune, having Kurt freakin Angle put him over the mike and showing endless video packages? Unbelievable. TNA have NEVER put anyone over as strongly as they did with Roode before BFG.

I don't understand why Hogan is loved the way he is. I've watched wrestling since 1991/1992 and there's no way he's up there with the best performers in the business. He clings on to his 80's and NWO reputation like a snake with it round your throat. He shouldn't be involved in the main storylines. TNA has some incredible talent, always have. Some of the X Division matches in the middle 2000's were brilliant and I think the division has been deliberately been (effectively) killed off because there are guys who can work a match better than the likes of Anderson and much more than the old timers like non-selling Hogan, Sting and graveyard Flair.

I really don't know where to start with this. "Non-selling" Hogan, are you serious? Hulk Hogan's entire act was built around selling before making a babyface comback! Selling is more about facial expressions than falling off a steel structure or doing 50 flips before you land. Christopher Daniels is the perfect example of the X-Division for me - 1000 finishers, no selling whatsoever, no emotion. No one gives a shit about a Christopher Daniels match. Hogan, Flair and Sting work a crowd which is exactly what wrestling is about. I'm much more invested in the characters of those three even today than I ever will be about some midget with the personality of a loaf of bread who does a gymnastics routine.

As DomDom said, it's not helping TNA sell their product, or certainly not as much as you'd think. I fell out of wrestling a bit when he first came in(I think, I'd need to work it out but I got back into watching it when season 1 of NXT was winding down) but when he first came in he tried the Monday Night experiment which failed pretty horribly, right?

Surely he has a say in it though? Is he not pretty high up and has a tonne of power?

What is Hulk Hogan's job title in TNA? Is he part of the creative or on the board? No, he isn't.

Must just be a personal thing, I hate Bischoff. And it's not like you hate a good heel, I just hate him. I never watched WCW but in his time in WWE and TNA, I've never liked him. His role in production? I hate the shakey camera stuff they've done and the shitey "real life" thing they've tried. Reaction was shite and deservedly got shit-canned.

That a personal opinion but I disagree. Bischoff was the best GM in WWE history and in WCW he was the bollocks too. I like the way backstage segments are filmed and I thought Reaction was decent.

Just because Russo was there before Hogan doesn't mean anything. Anyone with a bit of sense would have him fired, he's an awful writer. I wasn't aware that they didn't like each other, but if I was brought in to try and help TNA, Russo leaving would be the first thing I would do.

Once again, Hogan does not have a say in that sort of stuff. And he was brought in because he is the biggest name in wrestling, not to wear a suit and sit in meetings. The "partner" shit with Dixie Carter was essentially kayfabe.

Was that the match where Goldberg won the US title?

Anyone else still watching Z True Long Island Story? It's absolute shite now that the WWE are running it.

Hogan has given NO explanation for saying that Roode isn't ready to the World Champion. Non. Says it all really. He's a bitter old man who is desperate to stay as the "big draw", whereas I think they'd improve the product so much if they cut loose the older guys and focused on those in their prime.

And yeah, Roode might have been all of Fortune, but did you watch any of the promos?! He was build up to look like some wee kid who was sh*ting himself at the thought of being World Champion!!!! :angry:

However, I do agree that Storm is the better of the two overall. He cuts the better promo and I think he looks better in the ring.

Hogan has given NO explanation for saying that Roode isn't ready to the World Champion. Non. Says it all really.

He feels that other people are better equipped?

He's a bitter old man who is desperate to stay as the "big draw", whereas I think they'd improve the product so much if they cut loose the older guys and focused on those in their prime.

He's not saying he should have the title himself.

They've tried pushing younger guys - Crimson has been pushed to the moon on his undefeated streak but no one gives a shit about him.

And yeah, Roode might have been all of Fortune, but did you watch any of the promos?! He was build up to look like some wee kid who was sh*ting himself at the thought of being World Champion!!!! :angry:

They made it look like he was a guy who had slogged away for years and had truly earned his place in the biggest match of his career.

What is Hulk Hogan's job title in TNA? Is he part of the creative or on the board? No, he isn't.

Once again, Hogan does not have a say in that sort of stuff. And he was brought in because he is the biggest name in wrestling, not to wear a suit and sit in meetings. The "partner" shit with Dixie Carter was essentially kayfabe.

oops.gif I thought he was involved in creative and decision making within the company. I better just shut up then ph34r.gif

oops.gif I thought he was involved in creative and decision making within the company. I better just shut up then ph34r.gif

He'll have some stroke but he's not in an official role in terms of that kind of stuff. Don't be daft re the last part, debate's what this forum's about.

Contradicting yourself a bit there are you not? I agree with that rest of that post.

Not really. I said Hogan doesn't equate to PPV buys and people overestimate his worth to them. That has nothing to do with his attempts to try and help them, which were about as successful as he has been.

Hogan has given NO explanation for saying that Roode isn't ready to the World Champion. Non. Says it all really.

Yes he has. Infact, in this very thread, you can see it for yourself. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good moan though.

And yeah, Roode might have been all of Fortune, but did you watch any of the promos?! He was build up to look like some wee kid who was sh*ting himself at the thought of being World Champion!!!

Fucking hell. Did you even WATCH the buildup to Bound for Glory? I don't even watch Impact, but having seen the video packages they were doing and looking at the details of promos and matches and stuff, I can assure you that you are, again, talking right out of your arse.

I suppose that's the one and only problem with the Bobby Roode loss. They made people care for the first time in... well... ever. In what is such a shitfest of a promotion that has basically taught people "don't get involved because we will NOT give you what you want", people got invested. Of course, they were soon taught a lesson. Because that's what TNA do. It's not a Hogan problem. It's a TNA problem. It's ALWAYS been a TNA problem.

Yeah, I did. Awful ending. The spoiler that Bkay posted about happened last night. Just an awful, awful way to do it.

A good 2-3 month story line blown in 2 weeks. They could have had Storm win a few times. Some tag matches where you can see tension between them. Then they big match where Roode turns heel.. Basic booking!