Livingston - all the threads merged

Guest Flash
None of these would be an asset surely. I assume that the stadium lease cannot be sold on by Livi (I would have thought that there would be a clause in the lease from the council stating that it would revert to them in the event of Livi going under), surely the league place is not saleable so no value can be ascribed to them. As for players - they will only be an asset if anybody is prepare to pay for them (which given the financial situation they probably won't as they know they could pick them up once breach of contract has happened). As far as I can see these assets have a market value of zero.
Exactly, although you could argue that the league place does have a value, ala Clydebank/Airdrie.
What's to stop another football club buying the league place though and there being an Airdieonians/Clydebank/Airdrie United scenario?

Perhaps Spartans are lining up a bid having already smoothed the way with blazers and the SF1 Chairmen. ;)

There is nothing to prevent somebody acquiring the shares in Livingston (as you outlined in your latest post which I haven't quoted). My original reply was in response to the above - that the membership itself is not an asset that can be sold - somebody would have to acquire the club first. Obviously, if you acquire the club, you get everything in it, including the membership.

For the recored, one club acquiring another (or two clubs coming under common control) has to be approved by the Management committee too, although I appreciate your cynicism on that point.

Just because that is way it's happened before does not mean that I agree with it & I do not want it to happen again. :(

It will keep happening though until the business model/cost base is changed.

Read your own forums and see that the hopeful custodians are already on the starting blocks.

"Serving the community", pish, the community don't give two f**ks about Livi, if they did then you wouldn't be in the mess!!

Edited by AND180Y

There is nothing to prevent somebody acquiring the shares in Livingston (as you outlined in your latest post which I haven't quoted). My original reply was in response to the above - that the membership itself is not an asset that can be sold - somebody would have to acquire the club first. Obviously, if you acquire the club, you get everything in it, including the membership.

For the recored, one club acquiring another (or two clubs coming under common control) has to be approved by the Management committee too, although I appreciate your cynicism on that point.

You are Skyline Drifter's b*****d brother and I claim my £5. :lol:

The point really is that whether the membership is an asset or not - there are ways and means of getting into the SFL - the management committee are just a few blazers with self-interest at heart.

It happens in England too - when an individual can persuade the FA, a supposedly independent 3-man committee and other football clubs that moving a club from South London to Milton Keynes makes sense. :whistle And no sir, in no way, did any money exchange hands. :rolleyes:

It will keep happening though until the business model/cost base is changed.

Read your own forums and see that the hopeful custodians are already on the starting blocks.

"Serving the community", pish, the community don't give two f**ks about Livi, if they did then you wouldn't be in the mess!!

Yes I agree that is the problem, I do go on my on forums, & sadly not many has the same views that we should live within our means & face up to the fact that we don't have the fanbase for the way we have been trading, still some of them think a white knight will come & rescue us but any white knights would in reality steer clear of LFC as has been proved in the past only shady characters would take it on & think they can make a quick buck.

While WLC and the Inland Revenue had no real choice in sliding into this mess, why on earth would any private creditor allow Livingston onto their debtors in the first place? They've a worse credit rating than Kerry Katona and even less worth to society. Bizarre.

It happens in England too - when an individual can persuade the FA, a supposedly independent 3-man committee and other football clubs that moving a club from South London to Milton Keynes makes sense. :whistle And no sir, in no way, did any money exchange hands. :rolleyes:

They didn't persuade either the FA or other football clubs, both the Football League and the FA were opposed to it.

Didn't Airdrie buy out Clydebank (including the SFL membership)? A small scale Glazer taking over Man U scenario.

Yep.

In our first season as AUFC, the programme and season ticket sleeve featured the phrase "Clydebank FC trading as Airdrie United FC" or similar.

They didn't persuade either the FA or other football clubs, both the Football League and the FA were opposed to it.

The FA appointed a 3 man commission and there was only one way that was heading when Steve Stride (Aston Villa secretary) and Raj Parker (a partner in a law firm) were appointed. Fair play to Alan Turvey for voting against the other two right enough - though he tried to get his revenge numerous times on AFCW as Chairman of the Ryman league. :ph34r:

The Football League clubs could have made a stand - but they didn't have the stomach (or want to pay up hard cash) for a legal fight at a time when they were all more worried about their own revenues as ITV Digital had just gone tits up. The Football League follow the lead of their member clubs - the club Chairmen call the shots - they were more interested in their own selves - twas ever thus.

You are right though - technically....

Edited by KingfaetheSooth

While WLC and the Inland Revenue had no real choice in sliding into this mess, why on earth would any private creditor allow Livingston onto their debtors in the first place? They've a worse credit rating than Kerry Katona and even less worth to society. Bizarre.

How is it bizarre?

I find it hard to make up my mind whether swine flu or the imminent demise of Livi is the most over-hyped and long running non-event for many a year.

Both have really lived to the 'silly season' in the media.

How is it bizarre?

If I were running a private business, I wouldn't be releasing my products/services to Livingston Football Club without payment up front, given their track record. I'm assuming the debt breakdown includes creditors beyond The Inland Revenue and WLC. I find it bizarre that businesses would put themselves in that position.

Surely lower SFL clubs would oppose any buy-out of Livi by a non-leaguer? Airdrie Utd were 'new'.

Not if it served their self-interest.

They're unlikely to vote a Highland club in but an Edinburgh-based community club with a new stadium might just fit the bill.

If I were running a private business, I wouldn't be releasing my products/services to Livingston Football Club without payment up front, given their track record. I'm assuming the debt breakdown includes creditors beyond The Inland Revenue and WLC. I find it bizarre that businesses would put themselves in that position.

Thankfully you don't run a business then. :P

Exactly, although you could argue that the league place does have a value, ala Clydebank/Airdrie.

With the departure of Griffiths, there are certainly no players who could be considered as assets.

Not really! Clydebank pulled the plug because they could not see a way forward without incurring large debts. They were in fact relatively debt free which meant they could be taken over and the name changed to Airdrie United at modest cost. No one can take over Livi on that basis which means that the league membership has no value as it is not transferable.

Not really! Clydebank pulled the plug because they could not see a way forward without incurring large debts. They were in fact relatively debt free which meant they could be taken over and the name changed to Airdrie United at modest cost. No one can take over Livi on that basis which means that the league membership has no value as it is not transferable.

Yes, we spent a whole page debating that after I made that post ;)

Didn't the United Clydebank Supporters group make an offer but a better offer was accepted from Ballantyne?

I don't think the cost was that modest either.

Not if it served their self-interest.

They're unlikely to vote a Highland club in but an Edinburgh-based community club with a new stadium might just fit the bill.

Might in italics is very appropriate here I'd reckon! The way Spartans conduct themselves has p1ssed off a lot of people and won very few friends in the league. I don't think they are guarranteed to be next in so to speak. Cove finished above them last time round after all. You are completely right though, it's all down to self-interest.